Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Smith will be solid. But it will take some serious mental toughness to win this one.

If based on performance from last night, it would be Neal sitting this one out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #42
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Smith's first 11 games: 3.36gaa, 0.859 sv%
Smith's last 11 games: 2.18gaa, 0.896 sv%

Though his save percentage is still terrible, both stats have improved dramatically.

2.18gaa would put him at 2nd in the league for that stat. More of a testament to the team playing in front of him, but that must be why I no longer wince whenever the puck goes anywhere near him.
And Rittich has a .920 SV% vs Smith's .889 SV% on the season....the GAA for both goalies is most definitely a product of the team being elite and nothing else. He's still not nearly reliable enough, even if used as a backup for the team to be able to count on him in games that matter.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 01-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #43
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Going from "definitively worst goalie in the league" to "one of the worst goalies in the league" is a big step up!
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #44
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

In regards to someone coming out of the lineup & roster moves being needed. Are we 100% sure Rittich won't be the back up? I mean, reporters are saying its Gillies, but did the coach say it?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #45
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
In regards to someone coming out of the lineup & roster moves being needed. Are we 100% sure Rittich won't be the back up? I mean, reporters are saying its Gillies, but did the coach say it?
Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
Mike Smith will get his second straight start vs. #Bruins. Jon Gillies will back-up. #Flames might make one change at forward. #CGYvsBOS

edit:

Head coach Bill Peters said there is a chance Andrew Mangiapane could draw into the lineup if he's medically cleared to play but for the time being plans to ice the same lineup that beat the Red Wings 5-3 in Detroit Wednesday night.
Edit: I guess that doesn't mean Peters has mentioned anything himself about Rittich - but it seemed very 'horses mouth' IMO
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #46
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I suppose it does now that I read it again.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #47
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames in Boston. 5pm MT. SNW

That Bruins top line plus a back to back plus the Mike Smith factor has me thinking this is gonna be one of those scheduled losses. Hopefully the Flames can dig deep and at the very least keep it close.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d forgotten Mangiapane was with the team.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #49
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Smith's first 11 games: 3.36gaa, 0.859 sv%, 5 wins
Smith's last 11 games: 2.18gaa, 0.896 sv%, 7 wins

Though his save percentage is still terrible, stats have improved dramatically.

2.18gaa would put him at 2nd in the league for that stat. More of a testament to the team playing in front of him, but that must be why I no longer wince whenever the puck goes anywhere near him.
I should preface this with a disclaimer of I don't think Smith has a good save %, it needs to improve.

Regarding the SV%, there was an interesting conversation with Elliott Friedman where he said he did some digging and the save percentage league wide is down .006 or so points. It really is the way the league is going by making it harder for defenders to defend and looking at the goalie equipment. I know historically .910 has been floated around as the average goaltending mark. I think that is just part of the evolution of the game as we are starting to see regression is some stats based on tweaks being made to the game.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #50
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I wouldn't choose a Boston game as a message game for Bennett. If things get heated you want that guy on the bench.

He didn't play well last night for sure, and his lack of production is still an issue, but he's been pretty consistent since the third period of the loss in Edmonton (sorry)

And I wouldn't say they won't miss his offence ... he is 7th amongst forwards for scoring this year so this isn't a replacement level player we are discussing.
I guess we will disagree about this as well.

Like everything with this guy, he is consistently inconsistent.

He was really good against Minnesota and great against Tampa, but since then he has been anywhere from average to terrible.

Maybe this isn't the game to pull him from but this isn't the big old bad Bruins anymore either. They play a fairly quick game now. Though I see now it's Mangiapane that might draw in so that would be in place of Dube and probably the right call there.

I will entirely disagree that Bennett isnt easily replaced...i mean really? Offensively 283 players in the NHL are ahead of him and 222 of those are forwards. Most of them have played fewer games. He is OK at best defensively and yes is pretty good at the sandpaper game...at times. All this while playing 2nd line a bunch.

7th on the Flames only because Frolik was injured and missed 16 games. With him back in and whatever beef he/Peters/Treliving hopefully behind them, Sam will be back to patrolling the 3rd and 4th lines again...where he belongs.

I hope the kid breaks out, i really do, but we need to start seeing him for what he really is. A below averge hockey player who has some really good spirit in his game at times and who will get into the muck when necessary. Those guys are available all over the place though. The sample size is large now and nothing has changed through different coaches/line mates/ or any other excuses many have floated in his defense.

He is a guy that BT should certainly be looking at upgrading on, would you not agree?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #51
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

tough call... if Rittich isn't ready, then obviously Smith is a better choice versus the Bruins... now if they were playing one of the weaker teams in the east, maybe you roll with Gilles...but they are not, so Smith makes sense.

i thought Smith was good last night; made a few big stops when they needed to be made...hopefully he can build on that for tonight's game.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #52
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
That Bruins top line plus a back to back plus the Mike Smith factor has me thinking this is gonna be one of those scheduled losses. Hopefully the Flames can dig deep and at the very least keep it close.
We reunited 3M to match the Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak line, who did wonderfully against the Bruins trio, and started Smith last time. We won that game.

3M has recently been put together again and Mike Smith is starting, but it isn't at home with the benefits of last change. They'll be busy trying to deploy that line against the Gaudreau line. Hopefully Smith is up to the task, he put together a .906 (close to league average this year) performance last night without any true stinker goals, while benefitting the team with his puck play. Which is all you can really ask from a veteran backup.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #53
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did we recall Mangiapane?

I like that kid. He needs to have something go in, but I do like him.

Maybe he needs to switch to a more conventional number - you shouldn't wear an 88 if you've gone 0-for-17 to start your career.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #54
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Bruins will be wicked hard to play against.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #55
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Flames go!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #56
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It should be Bennett coming out.

Has he ever watched from the press box without being injured? What could it hurt letting him observe for a game? Though they may miss his physicality a but, they sure as hell won't miss his "offense".

Such a frustrating player.
I have to disagree. Has Bennett not panned out to the potential of a 4th overall pick? Sure. Has he offensive contributed what we would expect? No. I will concede that much.

He however, has developed and seems to have taken a massive step forward so far this year. I must say, Bennett's development and improvement this season has been quantifiable, and impressive. If he continues to develop this way, he could become an excellent power forward for us in a top 6 or middle 6 role. He should stay in the lineup for his toughness and grit alone.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #57
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It should be Bennett coming out.

Has he ever watched from the press box without being injured? What could it hurt letting him observe for a game? Though they may miss his physicality a but, they sure as hell won't miss his "offense".

Such a frustrating player.

He’s a young player, and he also just had a very good game against the Sharks and played okay vs. the Red Wings.

Bennett has carved out a solid role for himself and is developing the consistency as he goes. The team keeps winning and Bennett is contributing all over the ice.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #58
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I guess we will disagree about this as well.

Like everything with this guy, he is consistently inconsistent.

He was really good against Minnesota and great against Tampa, but since then he has been anywhere from average to terrible.
Assist on the tying goal, wrecking ball hit and message sender against San Jose and he was average to terrible?

In Winnipeg he had Bfuglien all riled up for running over Scheilfe and pissing Ehlers off.

The Flames need this kind of player.

He has four points in the eight games since the Oiler game, which is about as consistent as he will get I'm afraid.

Quote:
Maybe this isn't the game to pull him from but this isn't the big old bad Bruins anymore either. They play a fairly quick game now. Though I see now it's Mangiapane that might draw in so that would be in place of Dube and probably the right call there.

I will entirely disagree that Bennett isnt easily replaced...i mean really? Offensively 283 players in the NHL are ahead of him and 222 of those are forwards. Most of them have played fewer games. He is OK at best defensively and yes is pretty good at the sandpaper game...at times. All this while playing 2nd line a bunch.

7th on the Flames only because Frolik was injured and missed 16 games. With him back in and whatever beef he/Peters/Treliving hopefully behind them, Sam will be back to patrolling the 3rd and 4th lines again...where he belongs.

I hope the kid breaks out, i really do, but we need to start seeing him for what he really is. A below averge hockey player who has some really good spirit in his game at times and who will get into the muck when necessary. Those guys are available all over the place though. The sample size is large now and nothing has changed through different coaches/line mates/ or any other excuses many have floated in his defense.

He is a guy that BT should certainly be looking at upgrading on, would you not agree?
I'm all for upgrading the roster, and the Flames could use that one more productive forward to round out the top six, but Bennett has a lot of room behind him before he's the one that needs to either be switched out or watch from above.

7th in CF% for forwards
1st in SCF%
1st in HDCF%

As an individual ...
7th in shot events
5th in individual scoring chances
2nd in individual high danger chances

I'm as worried as you that he may never be that top line scoring talent he was drafted to be, but he affects the game in a positive way more often than not.

That's why he doesn't get scratched.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #59
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah it is silly how he can be praised for the Sharks game, and then people are saying he needs to come out after the Wings game. Some bipolar behaviour in the crowd
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
We reunited 3M to match the Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak line, who did wonderfully against the Bruins trio, and started Smith last time. We won that game.

3M has recently been put together again and Mike Smith is starting, but it isn't at home with the benefits of last change. They'll be busy trying to deploy that line against the Gaudreau line. Hopefully Smith is up to the task, he put together a .906 (close to league average this year) performance last night without any true stinker goals, while benefitting the team with his puck play. Which is all you can really ask from a veteran backup.
The problem is that Boston will be looking to play their top line against the Monahan line, and they have last change, so Peters will have to be on his toes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote