Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #221
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's plenty of people that like this signing, generally... should have it been a little less money or one less year? sure.

but its not an anchor type of contract...if the internet is to be believed Ryan actually left money on the table to come to calgary...its the same dollars and role as stajan, but with a higher salary cap...so less % than Stajan's was.

unfortunately, this is what teams do on UFA day, especially if they haven't be developing talent internally or have been trading away draft picks.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #222
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we get a poll, I would guess 70% happy minimum.

For some reason, the dissenters always feel that they speak the truth, and that everyone agrees with them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #223
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Too much sigh
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #224
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I apologise for speaking for others, none of the voices in my head like this signing.
See, that's your problem right there. I never go to the voices in my head for hockey advice. For that, I only listen to my Rice Krispies.

Snap and Crackle really like how Benning is raking in the UFA superstars, but Pop thinks they should have gone after Gravel, too.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #225
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can leave money on the table and still be a bad contract.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #226
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson

Derek Ryan met with Craig Conroy who showed him around Calgary and different neighbourhoods for Ryan's wife Bonnie and their two young kids.

Me: "What sealed the deal on the Flames, Conroy is a pretty charming guy...."

Ryan: "He is, actually."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #227
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
One thing I learned at the Dome today is the Flames’ interest in Derek Ryan goes way back. Pro scout Steve Pleau who works Carolina games identified him early as an excellent fit and Calgary had a deal for him in place at last year’s trade deadline that fell through last minute.

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
Replying to @DarrenWHaynes
So this isn’t a case of Bill Peters coming in and saying go get that guy. Instead, Craig Conroy told me it was the fact that Calgary had Peters — given Ryan’s close history with him — that probably was a significant factor in him choosing to sign with the Flames versus elsewhere.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #228
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting that we tried trading for
Him .I think he will fit in seamlessly and from his interview with the guys on the fan he seems like a down to earth kind of guy. Welcome to cowtown Ryan family
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #229
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

They are extremely confident in him and have had him on their radar for some time. That helps ease any concerns for me.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #230
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Me also Toonage
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #231
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing I'm super pleased about is adding a couple guys who win faceoffs. I know it's hyperbolic of me to say but we never seemed to win the important face offs last year, never getting that final opportunity in the attacking zone and nearly always giving it up when defending.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 07-01-2018 at 09:22 PM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #232
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it. Ryan should drastically improve face offs and bottom 6 scoring. The contract is good value for someone having almost 0.5 points per game last season and is not crippling if last season was just a fluke.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #233
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am curious to see how this works out. On the surface, he is a Stajan replacement in the lineup. Most people have him penciled-in as the 4th line starter, which I agree with. There are a lot of questions about him still.

Was he a product of Skinner? Or a product of Peters putting him in positions to succeed? Probably some truth to both. However, without a doubt he is a shifty and offensively talented player that can create plays, and who can play with other talented players. There is value in that.

Unlike Stajan, he is NOT going to be a defensive player for the Flames (unless he works on his defensive game). Stajan, IIRC, had more defensive zone starts than offensive. Ryan breaks down into 64.5%OZ and 35.5%DZ. That's a huge split there. Ryan also wasn't on the PK unit. Ryan did play the PP, but from what I recall, a poster here posted his PP numbers per 60, and they were about half of what Brouwer contributed per 60. I don't suppose him to be part of the PP - Calgary has more choices for the PP than Ryan anyway.

I like 4th liners who have a bit of breadth to their game - guys who are very good defensively, can play a grinding game, and provide some offensive zone pressure and chaos by hitting bodies, forechecking like crazy and contributing to the PK to provide relief to other top players. Ryan doesn't fill any of that (he is small and not physical at all).

However, if the Flames can get him, Lazar and hopefully someone like Mangiapane going as a line, the could realistically roll that 4th line into the 12-15 minutes area per game. As long as they are contributing at a decent rate on the scoreboard, this will allow for the other lines to not be over-worked the entire year, and be more 'fresh' for the playoffs.

Peters is notorious for blending up the lines anyway, and I don't think for a second that Ryan is going to be the 4th line center all year. It will be interesting how Peters utilizes him, however.

I am apprehensive with the term and cap for what COULD be another Nigel Dawes or even another Mason Raymond - players that could put up points but didn't do much else - but we will just have to see. I am not that concerned with the faceoffs on the team as they don't really contribute much to the wins and losses, but it is is nice to have that ability on the Flames.

I don't feel good about this signing, but I don't feel bad. I legitimately think that it could go either way for the Flames. However, with the lack of RHS and Ryan's ability to play with decently skilled players, Peters should be able to make him at least somewhat useful if things don't exactly work out. He may end up being an overpaid player, but one that isn't totally useless either. That's the 'worst case scenario' for him.

Stajan was pretty much no longer offensive with the Flames last year. I think the system made it even more difficult for him to contribute on the stats sheet. What Stajan was good at, however, was being a strong defensive player. Ryan is the antithesis to Stajan, if that makes sense, so no, Ryan is NOT going to be providing that strong defensive game. Flames essentially traded a defensive player for an offensive one, but that's ok. I think Gulutzan's system was putrid and allowed for way too many high quality legitimate scoring chances while not providing enough for the Flames.

Will be really interesting to see how this signing plays out. I am hopeful, but also apprehensive. Who knows?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #234
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like the player, do not like the cap hit
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #235
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see a lot of comparisons to Stajan 4 year contract but the higher salary cap actually plays a big role here.

Ryan signed for $3.15M of a $79.5M cap - that is 4% of the cap.

That is equivalent to $2.7M contract when Stajan signed his extension 4 years ago or a $1.56M contract when the cap was first introduced in 05/06. (Pretty much what we signed Tony Amonte to in 05/06).

Think a big reason a lot of these contracts look crazy today is because of the big jump the cap took the last couple years and individual player salaries are catching up with that now that the elite players are making $12M instead of $7-8M.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:16 AM   #236
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Money is ok. I feel like the term is a bit much.
Pretty much this. Odds of him being worth his cap hit on the 3rd year seem pretty low.

Not a terrible deal anyway. Admittedly we needed some guys that can put up some points.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 AM   #237
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

3x3 I can live with it IIIIIIIF he comes as advertised, actually, IIIIIF he's as good as "they" say its a good deal. If he's a flash in the pan, then Brouwer will breathe a sigh of relief as we have a new whipping boy.

He's just what we need so I am crossing my fingers.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #238
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

SIAP but a nice article on DR's decision to sign with Calgary and how his time at UofA was a big part of the decision

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/the-...ed/c-299381692
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #239
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would be thrilled if he is 4th line centre. Unfortunately looking at how BP used him in carolina im pretty sure this is gonna be the guy we are all angry is getting too much ice time as the year goes on. With the talent on this team Ryan should never see the PP. But i guarantee you Peters will roll him out there more than Chuckie, Bennett, Backlund and lindholm.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #240
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I see a lot of comparisons to Stajan 4 year contract but the higher salary cap actually plays a big role here.

Ryan signed for $3.15M of a $79.5M cap - that is 4% of the cap.

That is equivalent to $2.7M contract when Stajan signed his extension 4 years ago or a $1.56M contract when the cap was first introduced in 05/06. (Pretty much what we signed Tony Amonte to in 05/06).

Think a big reason a lot of these contracts look crazy today is because of the big jump the cap took the last couple years and individual player salaries are catching up with that now that the elite players are making $12M instead of $7-8M.
TBH I never had a problem with Stajan's contract either, although by the last year I did think a guy like Shore had become just as effective that was more a credit to Shore.

While I do think Ryan will see a lot of time on the top 9 wing, the truth is that #4 centers are an important position in hockey. They're probably playing with the least skilled wingers and so they have to be able to drive a lot more play than even top line centers do and still be productive, and often a team's success in the postseason ends up riding on whether the #4C won his matchup. Matt Cullen did it two straight years for the Penguins, and before that Marcus Kruger did it two out of three years for the Blackhawks. It's a weird role, and in many ways it's worth more than some top nine wingers because it requires more play driving ability and playmaking ability. If you look at a list of the most productive 5-on-5 centeres with the most limited minutes, usually you find lists of #4 centres on Cup Contenders, which I don't think is a coincidence. Even Jay Beagle, who I think probably got an overpayment in FA, is a piece I think the Capitals are going to scramble to replace.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote