Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #2041
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I doubt Hanifin & Lindholm were bad in the room or moved due to "culture" concerns. The Canes didn't want to pay them. Thats pretty much it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #2042
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not too worried about players coming from Carolina. Seeing what is going on there, I am sure the players are more than happy to be leaving. The new owner seems to have taken on a owners challenge on how quick he can submarine a team. He probably sat at an owners table with Edmonton and Ottawa. Obviously took away a few pointers and how to's.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #2043
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I doubt Hanifin & Lindholm were bad in the room or moved due to "culture" concerns. The Canes didn't want to pay them. Thats pretty much it.
You might even say that the only guy holding all the cards in that trade as far as in-room personalites and player attitude was Treliving. He had Peter's experience in the Carolina room and I'm sure he knew the flames room pretty well, and had candid conversations during exit meetings. Carolina was trading with half as much information.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #2044
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
You might even say that the only guy holding all the cards in that trade as far as in-room personalites and player attitude was Treliving. He had Peter's experience in the Carolina room and I'm sure he knew the flames room pretty well, and had candid conversations during exit meetings. Carolina was trading with half as much information.
Exactly right. Mind you, Hurricanes did well for themselves here, especially if they can sign Fox. They have plenty of reasons to like this trade too.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #2045
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Maybe he was complacent - I really don't know but I cringe when I read things like this because to me this is the lazy guess work fans make when they don't have the full information.
When I watched Ferland, I saw a player who was usually gassed and gasping when he got to the bench. I don't think it's a matter of not trying so much as not having the fitness to consistently play a high-tempo, high-energy game.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #2046
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
When I watched Ferland, I saw a player who was usually gassed and gasping when he got to the bench. I don't think it's a matter of not trying so much as not having the fitness to consistently play a high-tempo, high-energy game.
Wasn't Ferland in the top 5 for fitness testing? I could be wrong.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #2047
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Wasn't Ferland in the top 5 for fitness testing? I could be wrong.
Both are correct. You can be a very fit athlete and still have limitations. Good players pace themselves, and that's what Ferland did. He was not lazy but he was still human and his style of play and the intensity with which he moves his huge frame are surely taxing.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #2048
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Exactly right. Mind you, Hurricanes did well for themselves here, especially if they can sign Fox. They have plenty of reasons to like this trade too.
Absolutely. My point wasn't about who won the trade, rather just pointing out that Treliving knew what he was getting as far as personalities and behind the scene stuff with all the players involved in this trade. Its a nice place to be making decisions from.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #2049
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanafin and Lindholm were cap dumps.

Ferland will be a UFA and I fully expect him to be gone from Carolina before the season's end.

Hell I'm fairly certain Hamilton will be traded too.

I'd laugh so hard if Treliving got them both back, because I could actually see that happening.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #2050
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

Ferland will be a UFA and I fully expect him to be gone from Carolina before the season's end.

I'd laugh so hard if Treliving got them both back, because I could actually see that happening.
Yes to Ferland. I hope Tre something along the lines of "I didn't want to trade you, but they insisted, I hope we can be on the same team some time in the future *wink wink*".
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #2051
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post

I do not see Dougie coming back to Calgary.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #2052
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

With the trading of Hickey last year and Fox this year, does anyone think the Flames will be more cautious about drafting NCAA prospects? Seems like there's becoming a turbulent track record with these types of picks. Gaudreau was our best success story, but that doesn't always happen.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #2053
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
With the trading of Hickey last year and Fox this year, does anyone think the Flames will be more cautious about drafting NCAA prospects? Seems like there's becoming a turbulent track record with these types of picks. Gaudreau was our best success story, but that doesn't always happen.
I for one hope this loophole is closed during the next lockout...
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #2054
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think so. They drafted two more guys this year who will go the college route.

They just have to manage the risk properly, which is what Tre has done masterfully, yet keeps getting criticized on this board and others for it. Tre recognized risk in signing Hickey and Fox and "cashed in" before the asset value diminished or expired further. Not only that, but he used these assets to gain longer term assets with equal potential in the Carolina deal for Hanifin and Lindholm. It was great asset management.

They drafted two good prospects in Hickey and Fox in the 3rd round and turned them into valued assets for trade.

As cold as it seems, players and prospects are currency. Some fans get too caught up in the potential of prospects and get confused that when a prospect gets traded, the finished product is being traded, when in fact it is not, it is an unfinished product and hence the value reflects that.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #2055
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
In the same period of time the Flames have also successfully signed Jankowski and Gillies, and added Spencer Foo as a college UFA. But I think most significantly the fact that three of their five picks in the 2018 draft are likely heading to the NCAA suggests in itself that they will continue to pursue US college players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #2056
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

This management team also loves their americans. The flames will be over represented on a usa world cup team.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #2057
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Hey everyone, we found Brad's Colangelo account. Nevertheless, the GM makes a salient point in his own defense.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #2058
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hey everyone, we found Brad's Colangelo account. Nevertheless, the GM makes a salient point in his own defense.
Lol. I can't imagine anybody having sooo much free time as to actually being looking for Brad colangelo's burner account....
Old 07-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #2059
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I haven't run the numbers (so I could be wrong), but it feels like college defence-men have been more likely to go the UFA route than forwards.
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #2060
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420since1974 View Post
I haven't run the numbers (so I could be wrong), but it feels like college defence-men have been more likely to go the UFA route than forwards.
Off the top of my head, the big names from recent years: Hayes, Vesey, and Kerfoot are forwards. Schultz and Butcher are defencemen.