Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #2281
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So in other words Stone wants out of Ottawa as that asking price is way too high. I get that some fans love him and I do feel he's a good player but he's not improved on his rookie season and plays less games every season. I expect a top paid winger to score more than 20-25 goals annually and defensive forwards should not be making the same money as elite scorers.
The guy had a higher point-per-game than Gaudreau. A leg injury that shut him down for the remainder of the season, when it didn't matter if he came back, is not exactly cause of "injury prone" discussion at this point.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #2282
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The guy had a higher point-per-game than Gaudreau. A leg injury that shut him down for the remainder of the season, when it didn't matter if he came back, is not exactly cause of "injury prone" discussion at this point.
His games played since he became a full time player; 80, 75, 71, 58. Nobody is saying he's glass but there's clearly a trend here. Remember he's not a center so not a premium position in the NHL and he's further into his prime than Gaudreau being two years older.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #2283
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland falling on him could have really happened to anyone. You would think at 6'4'' he's less likely to have that happen to him. He's had neck, knee, leg and ankle injuries and just random illness. Obviously not ideal, but it hasn't really been reoccurring.

If it was repeated groin, for example, or of course multiple concussions, yeah that would be a cause for major concern but a mix-and-match of injuries is closer to bad luck than a trend at this point.

It's also not like he was rushed back to the NHL. The team was tanking, as is Senators tradition, and while he practiced they sat him out. No reason to rush him, but I'm confident if he had been a playoff team we would have been hearing about how he played through injury like we do all the time.

And prime matters a lot less when you're discussing a player signing a one-year contract. He had the 14th highest point-per-game in the league last year. His comparables should be players who were putting up point-per-game numbers while providing amazing defense. Issue is, as RFAs, those are pretty much non-existent. At 5M, his comparables would be Lindholm, Niederreiter, Miller, and of course Tom Wilson but he's so much better than all of those guys that it doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying he deserves 9M. I'm saying it's more reasonable of a request than the 5M the Senators put forward. In fact, I think if this gets to arbitration I'd believe that the number he receives is closer to 9M than 5M.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #2284
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Just once, I'd like to see a player or team ask for the actual number and the arbitrator look at the other party, call them stupid and award the proper number to the reasonable party.
If the NHL used baseball-style arbitration, that would happen sometimes. But instead of a system that makes sense, the NHL deliberately opted for a system so obviously stupid that the parties will move heaven and earth to avoid it. Well, sometimes heaven and earth just won't move far enough, and they get stuck with stupid.

If they are really so keen on avoiding arbitration, they should just do away with it altogether. If they want arbitration to produce sensible results, they should go with the MLB method. I suppose, as usual in these cases, some idiot thought the two sides could live together by compromising on a system that doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

(There once was a highways department that wanted to build a bridge across a river. They were opposed by environmentalists who did not want any bridge built at all. So the politicians gave the order to build a bridge halfway across, ending in mid-air, and held a press conference to congratulate themselves on their brilliance in settling the issue by a compromise.)
Old 08-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #2285
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm. Copied to other thread

Last edited by Samonadreau; 08-01-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #2286
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@FriedgeHNIC
Quick business note: Hart Trophy NHL MVP Taylor Hall switched agencies, now represented by @DHGHOCKEY.
They also represent Sam Bennett.

The writing is now on the wall - Taylor Hall to the Calgary Flames in 2020!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #2287
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They also represent Sam Bennett.

The writing is now on the wall - Taylor Hall to the Calgary Flames in 2020!
Seems Legit.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #2288
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see if posted but on Fan960 they mentioned William Karlsson's arb numbers have come out. Vegas ask is 3.5m and Karlsson is asking for 6.5m.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #2289
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Didn't see if posted but on Fan960 they mentioned William Karlsson's arb numbers have come out. Vegas ask is 3.5m and Karlsson is asking for 6.5m.
6.5 doesn't seem that out of line.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM   #2290
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He clearly wants to come play with the Real Deal.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #2291
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
6.5 doesn't seem that out of line.

For a guy with a 23.4% shooting percentage last season? He averaged 7.3% in his other two full seasons in the NHL. This guy is going to come crashing back down to earth next season, and really hard. If he reverts back to his 7.3% average, he only scores 13 goals based on the number of shots he had last season. What Vegas is offering seems pretty fair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #2292
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
James Mirtle
@mirtle
Hearing some rumblings of a trade... Aug. 2. Why not?!
Hmmmm
Old 08-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #2293
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
For a guy with a 23.4% shooting percentage last season? He averaged 7.3% in his other two full seasons in the NHL. This guy is going to come crashing back down to earth next season, and really hard. If he reverts back to his 7.3% average, he only scores 13 goals based on the number of shots he had last season. What Vegas is offering seems pretty fair.
Except that 7.3% was when he was buried. As a top line center, at least that's where he played, he put up legit numbers. I don't see him come crashing down. Maybe he sits in the 15% range, but he's not that out of line for what he showed he is capable of.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #2294
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
His 43 goals is what is going to be front and center, not his shooting %. Treliving balked at Colborne and his 19 goals knowing it would cost him in that 3.5M area. I do think that was a career season for him and he may never score like that again. It is just interesting that from the players point of view, they kind of agree with that notion even after scoring 43 goals.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #2295
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His 43 goals is what is going to be front and center, not his shooting %. Treliving balked at Colborne and his 19 goals knowing it would cost him in that 3.5M area. I do think that was a career season for him and he may never score like that again. It is just interesting that from the players point of view, they kind of agree with that notion even after scoring 43 goals.

Come on, this is pretty obvious. You don't think that Vegas is going to use that shooting percentage as a negotiating number? You don't look at that number and think there is a regression happening this coming season? I guarantee you that Vegas is looking at that number and fully expecting a regression. No one shoots at a 23.4% clip two years in a row. The best goal scorers in the history of the game didn't come close to that. Karlsson had a year where everything went his way. It won't repeat. Vegas knows it, and that's why they are offering what they are.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #2296
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Hmmmm
Looks like he was right
Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #2297
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except that 7.3% was when he was buried. As a top line center, at least that's where he played, he put up legit numbers. I don't see him come crashing down. Maybe he sits in the 15% range, but he's not that out of line for what he showed he is capable of.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
15% is still extremely elite

Stamkos is at 16% for his career, Ovechkin is at 12%

The shooting percentage may vary a little bit from top line to 3rd line, but it jumping like it did is an outlier.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #2298
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
15% is still extremely elite

Stamkos is at 16% for his career, Ovechkin is at 12%

The shooting percentage may vary a little bit from top line to 3rd line, but it jumping like it did is an outlier.
Yeah, I pulled 15% out of my ass. But he took that team to the final as their 1C. I realize Fleury had a little to do with it, but he played 1C all year and did it well. I get that it's only a year of track record, but he looked good.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #2299
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think hes a good player, if he goes down to like 11% which is better than league average, he is still gonna score he is still a 20 goal scorer, with his 35 assists thats still a 55 point guy, maybe he improves a bit more and ends up a 25-40 guy.

Good player, but id still rather see it again if im vegas before paying 6.5 or anything long term if hes top line level
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #2300
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everybodies favourite Eklund saying Calgary is in on Karlsson.
Closed Thread