Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #81
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I just don't see Neal being a fit with the Flames. He is too slow and can't keep up. Neal is supposed to be a finisher but how will he ever finish when he can't keep up and is behind the play?

Bennett I can see although to date, he has been inconsistent and certainly hasn't really found a great line to play on. At this point in time, I don't see his production improving either.

But Bennett can skate and keep up. Bennett also brings other intangibles that I don't see with Neal. Neal was supposed to have this mean and tough streak. Either that is missing or I am blind as I have not seen Neal bring that while on the ice.

Bennett needs the stripes to quit disallowing his goals.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #82
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Apropos of which, does anybody know the record for the most disallowed goals by one player in a season? Or is that something nobody is allowed to keep track of, because it might draw attention to the officials' total lack of accountability?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #83
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

"After video review it was determined that the last player to touch the puck was #93 Sam Bennett, therefore we have no goal on the play."

Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #84
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
And why doesn't Jankowski ever get a sniff as an option to any of the forwards on that unit? He's got better hands, a better shot and is a better passer than anyone they put out there except maybe Czarnik.
Interesting fact, Jankowski has more points in less minutes 5 on 5 or on the PK than the entire 2nd pp unit has combined, despite the fact that the 2nd pp unit has more combined ice time than Jankowski.

I wonder if that is something that is common on other teams, having a single forward who has more combined points outside of pp time than an entire pp unit has on pp time but that forward still does not get any pp time.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 01-04-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #85
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is only one problem with Jankowski, and that's Jankowski.

On the PK, he has it in his head that he needs to be a bully, and the puck belongs to him. He rushes the goal, and is hyper-aware of where everyone is on the ice.

Any other time, he's skating around trying not to spill his plate of nachos on the ice.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #86
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There is only one problem with Jankowski, and that's Jankowski.

On the PK, he has it in his head that he needs to be a bully, and the puck belongs to him. He rushes the goal, and is hyper-aware of where everyone is on the ice.

Any other time, he's skating around trying not to spill his plate of nachos on the ice.
Well he has more 5 on 5 points than every single forward on the 2nd PP unit with the exception of Backlund.

I would say there are softer players on the Flames, Neal for instance plays like he has two eggs in his pockets that he does not want to break.

Fact is that Jankowski is a superior player in almost every way to 75% of the forwards they have on the second PP unit. Pretty surprising considering that 2nd unit is amongst the worst pp units in all of hockey that there has been almost no changes, the coaches must be comfortable with their production.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #87
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How many is that now, has to be a record. I think two goals ago it was 7 or something like that! Never seen anything like it. The strange thing is many of his goals could have gone either way.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #88
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Well he has more 5 on 5 points than every single forward on the 2nd PP unit with the exception of Backlund.

I would say there are softer players on the Flames, Neal for instance plays like he has two eggs in his pockets that he does not want to break.

Fact is that Jankowski is a superior player in almost every way to 75% of the forwards they have on the second PP unit. Pretty surprising considering that 2nd unit is amongst the worst pp units in all of hockey that there has been almost no changes, the coaches must be comfortable with their production.
The PK just seems to be insight into the kind of player Jankowski could be, and we never get to really see. If he is playing only 12 minutes a game, he should have the energy to play lights out the entire time. Having Jankowski bearing down on the sideboards should be scary to a defender, and he should be hard to move from the front of the net, like Franzen.

On the PK, he's intimidating. It's just feels like he's holding back for some reason 5v5. We all know the skill is there.

Pure skill and size, he should have more points than Backlund, with the ice time he is getting. Frustrating player, and that's probably why he is not on the PP. I would love if he pushed his way onto PP2.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #89
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich says he is good to go
Old 01-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #90
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

True.

The other problem with Neal is his lack of speed is only going to exacerbate in the next years of his contract.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 PM   #91
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The PK just seems to be insight into the kind of player Jankowski could be, and we never get to really see. If he is playing only 12 minutes a game, he should have the energy to play lights out the entire time. Having Jankowski bearing down on the sideboards should be scary to a defender, and he should be hard to move from the front of the net, like Franzen.

On the PK, he's intimidating. It's just feels like he's holding back for some reason 5v5. We all know the skill is there.

Pure skill and size, he should have more points than Backlund, with the ice time he is getting. Frustrating player, and that's probably why he is not on the PP. I would love if he pushed his way onto PP2.
The PK he can be aggressive at the blue line when the other team tries to enter, as the entire PK unit is. When they create the turnover, it’s usually a rush, either an odd man rush or one with a forward back, so that allows him to be aggressive and skate positively, and also have the time and space to get a good shot and follow up.

5 on 5 or PP, it’s possesion and being quick and winning battles in the offensive zone, and that’s where he fades into the background and not pushing the envelope nearly as much.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #92
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Interesting fact, Jankowski has more points in less minutes 5 on 5 or on the PK than the entire 2nd pp unit has combined, despite the fact that the 2nd pp unit has more combined ice time than Jankowski.

I wonder if that is something that is common on other teams, having a single forward who has more combined points outside of pp time than an entire pp unit has on pp time but that forward still does not get any pp time.
Janko and Bennett both need more ice time. Both have huge upside potential compared to Czarnik and Ryan. They might not be as effective now in some situations but in the future they both could really develop into great players. Janko has the size and Bennett has amped it up this season.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote