Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I can pretty much guarantee the Ducks are going to come in and spoil the fun like they do every season. While they aren't playing good right now, that is their motto. They start the season bad, injuries pile up, only to come roaring back after the AS break and win the division at the expense of a more deserving team. The injured players come back in time for the playoffs and they win a round or 2.

Unfortunately it's like clockwork with them.
The Ducks won 0 playoff rounds last year. Since the lockout shortened season they have finished with 116 points (+57), 109 (+10), 103 (+26), 105 (+23), and then 101 points (+19) last season. They have been slowly but surely declining for a few years now, and 2018 was the first time since 2012 that the Ducks failed to win the Pacific Division. It's not happening this year. They will probably make the playoffs, but I think this is the last season for this group that includes Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think we can all agree that an upgrade to the back-up goalie situation would be ideal. In regards to the "one more scoring capable winger" I'm not so sure.

Here's my reasoning... I see no reason to muck with lines 1 & 2. So what we'd really be looking for is an upgrade to line 3 (so a legit 2nd line even-strength scoring forward to play one spot down in the order) but here's the thing I can't think of a rental that fits those parameters that would really do better then then Bennett with the bump down in ice-time from 2nd to 3rd (and I just don't see the Flames putting Neal on the 4th line). What we really need is for Neal to shake whatever funk he's found himself in since he arrived here.

I can't disagree with what your saying. I look at the Flames situation though.

When the Flames get Valimaki back and hopefully Stone back, that will give them some nice depth for the playoffs, which tends to eat defensemen like a hungry lion eating KFC.

I don't know if the backup goalie requirement reduces the closer you get to the playoffs, but I would love to see a backup that can play lets say 15 of the last half of the season, mainly because I worry about BSD's pitch count if you know what I mean.

I think that having that scoring option coming off of the wing helps in a couple of ways. It reduces my worry of injuries if one of the big wingers goes down to injury. It might be that we can acquire a off wing shooting power play option, since I think that our PP is still the most questionable part of our game. Plus adding a veteran shooter puts some pressure on the players currently in the lineup.

Frankly the idea solution would be for Neal to have a stronger second half of the season because it would achieve the above without giving up an asset.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #23
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Ducks won 0 playoff rounds last year. Since the lockout shortened season they have finished with 116 points (+57), 109 (+10), 103 (+26), 105 (+23), and then 101 points (+19) last season. They have been slowly but surely declining for a few years now, and 2018 was the first time since 2012 that the Ducks failed to win the Pacific Division. It's not happening this year. They will probably make the playoffs, but I think this is the last season for this group that includes Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry.
The Ducks were in last or 2nd last place at one point last season. Many people thought they were out of it. Only to have them come roaring back and snag a playoff spot. It wasn't a division win but they could have easily won the division if they hadn't hit that skid. They had one of the highest winning % after they came out of rock bottom. I'll never count them out until the day Getzlaf retires. The man is just too good no matter what age he is.

I hope you're right though, and the decline is unavoidable. I mean sure they've slightly declined little by little each passing season. But they were still a 100+pts team. Even if they are declining and the Flames are trending up, even if we are #1 in the conference and they are the 8th wildcard spot, I'll still be terrified to play them in the playoffs.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-03-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The Ducks were in last or 2nd last place at one point last season. Many people thought they were out of it. Only to have them come roaring back and snag a playoff spot. It wasn't a division win. But they still had one of the highest winning % after they hit rock bottom. I'll never count them out until the day Getzlaf retires. The man is just too good no matter what age he is.

I hope you're right though, and the decline is unavoidable. I mean sure they've slightly declined little by little each passing season. But they were still a 100+pts team. Even if they are declining and the Flames are trending up, even if we are #1 in the conference and they are the 8th wildcard spot, I'll still be terrified to play them in the playoffs.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pacific is the only division with 3 teams over 50 points.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Pacific is the only division with 3 teams over 50 points.
Worst Division in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought it would be a good idea to look at where the Pacific Division stands at the halfway point. From the start of the season the consensus among NHL fans is that the Pacific sucks and the Central is the King Slayer and any team that faces a Central Position team is just going to be a victim of a mauling.

However that prediction has really turned on its ear with most of the Central teams have gone either cold or into an outright free fall (Colorado). Also the Jets don't look as powerful as many thought they would be.

But this isn't about them, its about the pacific division

1) Calgary 25-12-4, last 10 6-2-2 dif +31

They do look like the class of the division right now. Getting first line scoring and secondary scoring is huge. The pp is 11th in the league, the penalty killing is 17th which is a concern at 79.4%. What stands out to me is that their GA/GM is 6th. In terms of needs, I would like to see them pick up one more scoring capable winger, and possibly explore the backup goalie position.

2) Las Vegas 24-15-4 last 10 6-1-3 dif +15

They've rebounded from an early season funk that might have been a hang over to crawl back into things. The only Pacific Division team to out gain the Flames in the last 10 games. Scoring is a concern as they're middle of the pack at 15th, however defensively they are top 5. Their pp is 17th in the league at 19.8%, but that's balanced off by a 7th best penalty kill. They are back to scoring by committee with no one surpassing the points per game barrier, Fleury is putting up great numbers again. I would expect that they're going to want to address their scoring depth and playmaking depth leading up to the deadline.

3) San Jose 22-13-7 last 10 6-2-2 dif +12

This is a team that is really seeing its window in doubt with an older veteran lineup. They're offensively solid but have allowed the second most goals in the Pacific Division and are 19th in the NHL in that regard. They have the 7th best powerplay in the league and the 6th best penalty kill so they're really leaking goals 5v5. They're getting a lot of production from Burns, Couture and Pavelski but it falls off a bit after that with Meier and Hertl having good seasons. Karlsson hasn't looked like Norris level Karlsson. Goaltending has to be a big concern for them as neither Jones or Dell have been good. There is no question that the Sharks should be buyers at the deadline and try to shore up their blueline.

4) Anaheim 19-15-7 last 10 4-4-2 dif -18

We hate the ducks, their window should be closed right. But they're still in it, though they've gone a little bit cold. They're not scoring a lot with the 30th place g/gm, and not defending all that well at 18th. Their pp is 27th in the league, and their penalty kill is 13th. Everything about this team screams unsustainable over the second half of the year. When you look at their individual stats no one is scoring at a point per game clip and it does really fall off a bit after Getzlaf's 29 points in 35 games. What's really holding this team in place is John Gibson who has a .924 svpct. In fact their entire goaltending cast has been strong. The question is, should this team really be buyers or sellers, and I expect that question to be answered in the next 10 to 15 games. But if they were to buy, again they have holes through out their lineup. They could use way more scoring up front and a puck moving blueliner that can run a power play.

5) Vancouver 20-19-4 last 10 6-3-1 dif -8.

This is my surprise team of the season along with the Habs. I expected this team to be floating at the bottom of the league. They've been respectable offensively at 16th and defensively respectable at 11th. Their power play is 20th as is their penalty kill. This team is really getting by on the play of Pettersson, Horvat and Boeser thought they are getting soem secondary scoring from Vitanen and Goldobin. Markstrom has been ok with a .910 svpct. However this team is going to have to win or lose based on work ethic. There's no question that they should continue with their rebuild and sell at the deadline to build for the future.

6) Edmonton 19-18-3 last 10 3-6-1 dif -13

I'm shocked that a team with this lineup is a game over .500 but they got there due to the now evaperated Hitch bump and stellar goaltending. But this is a thin team that wins or loses on the back of McDavid. Offensively their 20th in the league, defensively they are 2-th in the league. PP wise they're 12th in the NHL, pk wise they're 23rd. When you look at their shots for and against per game they're getting outshot more often or not. After McDavid, Draisaitl and Hopkins their offense falls off a serious cliff. Chaisson is a nice story but does he return and continue to score at a un natural pace? Koskinen is part of the McDavid, I'm carrying this train wreck club. This is a team with no depth and a serious cap team and should be selling like crazy at the deadline.

7) Arizona 17-21-2 last 10 4-6 dif -14

Once again Spreadsheet boy has failed, this club has been in perpetual suck mode forever and the promises of their rebuild have turned to ashes again. They have the 28th best offense, and the 19th best ga/gm. Their powerplay is 20th in the league, however the lone bright spot is their pk is the best in the league. Scoring wise they just don't have much offense. Ekman-Larsson carries the mail for this team. Their leading scorer is Clayton Keller. The Galchenyuk trade just doesn't look very good on any spreadsheet. Their goaltending has been ok but not earth shaking. Its no surpise that once again this team should be selling at the deadline.

8) LA Kings 16-22-3 last 10 5-3-2 dif -29

A trainwreck that's been respectable over the last 10. They really have scoring problems as they are DFL in offense, but a respectable 15th defensively. Their power play is 25th at an ugly 15%, their penalty kill is a terrible 28th in the league. This team is also getting outshot and outchanced on a nightly basis. The core of this team is too old and too slow. Doughty hasn't been great for them and Kopitar has fallen off a cliff scoring wise. Quick hasn't played to the level that he needs to be at, but Campbell has been stellar in 14 starts. There's no doubt that this team needs to be heavy sellers at the deadline and needs to start a rebuild that they really should have kicked off last year.

Predictions from me

Calgary 1st in division, minor deadline buyer
Las Vegas 2nd in division, minor deadline buyer
San Jose 3rd in division, major deadline buyer
Anaheim 4th, second wildcard, stand pat
Vancouver 5th out of playoffs, seller
Arizona 6th out of playoffs seller
Edmonton 7th in division major seller (One major piece moves to get cap relief)
LA 8th in division out of playoffs, major seller (Major pieces move)
IIRC; While we may be 17th on the PK%, we have allowed 24 goals on ~125 penalty kills. We have also scored short-handed 12 times. Effectively, we have only allowed 12 goals on ~125 times in the box. Cutting it close to 90% effectiveness.

Wow.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ullr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #28
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know if the backup goalie requirement reduces the closer you get to the playoffs, but I would love to see a backup that can play lets say 15 of the last half of the season, mainly because I worry about BSD's pitch count if you know what I mean.
100%

You really don't want a goalie running on empty from overwork heading into the playoffs. The bigger thing for me is the risk of a longterm injury... If *knock on wood* BSD get's hurt late in the season I have no faith whatsoever that Smith could give us a fighting chance in the post-season. I really don't like having all our eggs in one basket. I want that insurance policy. I just hope that it's a buyers market for goalies at the deadline.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #29
Chr1s
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If you're the Flames you avoid the Ducks in the playoffs at all costs.

1 win in Anaheim in the past decade.

You continue to get over that hump in the regular season, not when you're already under the most pressure.
I would love to get the Ducks in the first round.

Play the Ducks , sweep them and go on a ride for the cup.

Good stories always start with something like this, look at the Caps last year =)
Chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote