Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #281
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
So I don't get it...what's the issue exactly?

Sam caught a guy admiring his pass(with no contact to the head) 0.6 seconds late, and there wasn't a suspension.

So the DoPS got it...right?
Right? Contact is part of the game and players can't exactly count fractions of a second in their head while the game is being played.

I think the issue is the people that say he should have got suspended, like the post citing NBC sports a few above this one.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 01-02-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #282
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Some CalgaryPuck members can testify to my last major concussion came from being slammed to the ground during a game of flag football.

But then again as my Doctor says, I'm highly susceptible to concussions due to having multiple major concussions.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #283
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You don’t need to be hit in the head to be concussed.

If a collision is violent enough that your head moves, and your brain bounces off the inside of your skull, you can be concussed. So in the case of trauma due to a whiplash type action, you could be.
Which is why if the NHL is truly going to take concussions seriously, it can't just be about head shots. It has to be about unnecessary physicality that is beyond retrieval of the puck.
I know people are tired of this drum being beaten but the fact the question is being asked underscores that there is still far too little shared knowledge about concussions.
Removing head shots is an important step. But in my view a hit like Sam delivered is also not necessary for the game.
Which isn't to say that he should have faced a severe suspension, because under the current rules and mindset it was a slightly late hit, but otherwise delivered "cleanly".
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #284
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Right? Contact is part of the game and players can't exactly count fractions of a second in their head while the game is being played.

I think the issue is the people that say he should have got suspended, like the post citing NBC sports a few above this one.
Yeah - same situation as the Dumba hit IMO.

Unnecessary but not dirty.

Do you need to lay out a guy that hard with less than a minute left in a 2-3 goal game? No

Does that mean it's dirty or suspend-able? No

Would you expect the opposing team to be PO'd about the hit? 100% - Sharks are going to be pissed off much like the Flames were pissed off about Dumba's hit.

Agree 100% here that the issue is the media pushing for a suspension and whining about it.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #285
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah - same situation as the Dumba hit IMO.

Unnecessary but not dirty.

Do you need to lay out a guy that hard with less than a minute left in a 2-3 goal game? No

Does that mean it's dirty or suspend-able? No

Would you expect the opposing team to be PO'd about the hit? 100% - Sharks are going to be pissed off much like the Flames were pissed off about Dumba's hit.

Agree 100% here that the issue is the media pushing for a suspension and whining about it.

Is this true?

I haven't seen anything in regards to this, but then again i haven't looked either.

Weird that media would be clamoring for a suspension when it wasn't even a fineable level incident.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #286
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Which is why if the NHL is truly going to take concussions seriously, it can't just be about head shots. It has to be about unnecessary physicality that is beyond retrieval of the puck.
I know people are tired of this drum being beaten but the fact the question is being asked underscores that there is still far too little shared knowledge about concussions.
Removing head shots is an important step. But in my view a hit like Sam delivered is also not necessary for the game.
Which isn't to say that he should have faced a severe suspension, because under the current rules and mindset it was a slightly late hit, but otherwise delivered "cleanly".
It's a fine line though because honestly you can never get rid of concussions completely.

I got a concussion playing non-contact, co-ed, flag football. It can happen in any scenario and IMO the answer can't just be "we need to remove body contact".

My personal feeling is that the league should take precautions to make the game as safe as possible without altering the core fabric of the game but that the players need to take more responsibility too.

Physical contact is a part of hockey. I agree that the league probably needs to look one step past just direct headshots, and look at things like hits after the puck is gone more seriously, but really it's happening quick and is a fine line between taking those hits more seriously and the complete removal of hitting. (Another thing they should probably look at is potentially making the penalties for fighting more severe).

But at some point it comes down to the players and acceptance of the risk. They need to understand the risk, be educated on the potential long term impacts, and then it's up to them to determine if that risk is worth the financial benefit from playing the sport.

At some point the league can only be so accountable and it's up to the individual player/person to assess the risk and determine if it's worth it to them. And the player needs to be accountable for that, and the NHLPA, junior/minor/college hockey programs need to be the ones ensuring that those players have the right information to make that decision.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-02-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #287
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Is this true?

I haven't seen anything in regards to this, but then again i haven't looked either.

Weird that media would be clamoring for a suspension when it wasn't even a fineable level incident.
Lots of Sharks media on Twitter and different media outlets were complaining that the Karlsson hit resulted in a suspension but that this one got nothing.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #288
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a fine line though because honestly you can never get rid of concussions completely.

I got a concussion playing non-contact, co-ed, flag football. It can happen in any scenario and IMO the answer can't just be "we need to remove body contact".

My personal feeling is that the league should take precautions to make the game as safe as possible without altering the core fabric of the game but that the players need to take more responsibility too.

Physical contact is a part of hockey. I agree that the league probably needs to look one step past just direct headshots, and look at things like hits after the puck is gone more seriously, but really it's happening quick and is a fine line between taking those hits more seriously and the complete removal of hitting. (Another thing they should probably look at is potentially making the penalties for fighting more severe).

But at some point it comes down to the players and acceptance of the risk. They need to understand the risk, be educated on the potential long term impacts, and then it's up to them to determine if that risk is worth the financial benefit from playing the sport.

At some point the league can only be so accountable and it's up to the individual player/person to assess the risk and determine if it's worth it to them. And the player needs to be accountable for that, and the NHLPA, junior/minor/college hockey programs need to be the ones ensuring that those players have the right information to make that decision.
To me - the concept of "finishing the check" is one element that should be removed.
Sam knew what he was doing. He knew the puck was going to be gone when he got there. It wasn't anything to do with the puck. It was about payback.
Which again - not blaming him. But that's the cultural shift that needs to happen.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #289
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Simek, keep your head up son
Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #290
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I disagree with this. Even if they know what could possibly happen almost every player will still gamble that they'll be one of the vast majority who won't get hurt and choose the millions of dollars. To me this is no different than mandatory helmets, visors, seatbelts or even things like steeltoe boots on construction sites, if you let people choose they'll usually choose the easy way or what gets them the most money.

Unfortunately there are the unluckly few that end up with major brain trauma and end up with a multitude of problems from domestic violence, drug/alcohol addiction, homelessness and in the worst cases suicide. Guaranteed those players in hindsight would trade the millions for their health/life back.

I hate big government and over-regulation but some safety measures need to be forced on people for their own good and the good of society as a whole.

Last edited by Jacks; 01-02-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #291
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
To me - the concept of "finishing the check" is one element that should be removed.
Sam knew what he was doing. He knew the puck was going to be gone when he got there. It wasn't anything to do with the puck. It was about payback.
Which again - not blaming him. But that's the cultural shift that needs to happen.

Finishing the check, assuming its not too late (0.6 seconds or whatever was previously mentioned) is legal.

I'd hate to see the rules changed where you can no longer hit a player that has since moved the puck regardless of how much time has passed. About to get hit, dish the puck and then its a penalty would severely change the game.

But I get what you're saying, I just dont think hockey should be non-contact.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #292
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finishing a check does not equal “payback”. You can certainly eliminate one without the other.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #293
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty sure Bennett makes that same hit every time regardless of what Dell did.

I don't understand the argument that players shouldn't play until the last second of the game. Should a player not go for an empty net in the dying seconds because the game is already realistically decided?

Every Sharks player was still playing to score, so why wouldn't the opposition team play to stop them?

If you have a chance to make a clean hit, you do it.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #294
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simek should have been paying attention NOT because the game wasn't over, but because of the #### that the Sharks started the shift before.

Simek screwed up because he didn't understand how things are in the NHL. That's on him. But it's also on the Sharks veterans and coach for putting Simek out there and not telling him to keep his head up because the temperature is high.

Apparently Deboer benched Dillon for poor play in the third. Well, he should have put him out there instead of Simek. The only person Deboer should be mad at, is himself. Your players go out and stir up trouble and you think the Flames are just going to let it go?

I find Deboer is either really stupid and has no situational awareness OR he is extremely passive aggressive and sets these incidents up to fire up his team. He had a lot of battles with Torterella over stuff like this.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 PM   #295
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Late for sure, but the Sharks had it coming. Dell started this with an uncalled whack
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #296
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Late for sure, but the Sharks had it coming. Dell started this with an uncalled whack
And then punked Sam by glove-punching him as he walked in, knowing full well Sam can't retaliate on a goalie. Two extraordinary punk moves but Sam ensured they paid the price with Simek getting run over and Goodrow getting beat up.

I hope Dell remembers the price his teammates paid for his vigilante actions next time he tries to thug it up.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 AM   #297
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the Detroit feed tonight and I have to say that their broadcasters are refreshingly unhomeristic. They talked about the visiting Flames and gave them a lot of praise.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #298
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

ed: wrong thread.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote