Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2024, 04:47 PM   #101
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
A 1st line center is worth more than a 1st line winger, but a 1st line winger is more valuable than a 2nd line center, in my opinion.
Depends.

But also, drafting is not that exact of a science.

If you don't draft Cs, you aren't going to develop any 1st line Cs.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:00 PM   #102
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Is this a serious post? Lindstrom is an excellent skater, and if you can’t see that, then I have no idea what to say to you. He can flat out fly. We can debate other parts of his game, but this one is pretty obvious…
He's fast and strong on his skates but in the NHL he's going to have to go thru defenders, his edges aren't very good at all nor is his acceleration from the start.

I know it's a small sample but watching him at the Hlinka against top juniors I wasn't impressed at all, seemed to be always behind the the play, didn't skate hard defensively and showed tunnel vision offensively, as I've stated, I think he'll end up a winger in the NHL.

He ended up the 11th in scoring for Canada with 2g-3pts in 5 games, Catton on the other hand was outstanding, led Canada and the tourney with 8g-10pts in 5 games.

Unless he has a massive playoff I think Lindstrom will fall in the draft out of the top 15.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 05:04 PM   #103
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He's fast and strong on his skates but in the NHL he's going to have to go thru defenders, his edges aren't very good at all nor is his acceleration from the start.

I know it's a small sample but watching him at the Hlinka against top juniors I wasn't impressed at all, seemed to be always behind the the play, didn't skate hard defensively and showed tunnel vision offensively, as I've stated, I think he'll end up a winger in the NHL.

He ended up the 11th in scoring for Canada with 2g-3pts in 5 games, Catton on the other hand was outstanding, led Canada and the tourney with 8g-10pts in 5 games.

Unless he has a massive playoff I think Lindstrom will fall in the draft out of the top 15.
Top 15??? Someone take the bet haha
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 06:03 PM   #104
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Is this a serious post? Lindstrom is an excellent skater, and if you can’t see that, then I have no idea what to say to you. He can flat out fly. We can debate other parts of his game, but this one is pretty obvious…
Being fast and being a good skater aren't mutually exclusive...his good speed relies on him being incredibly naturally athletic instead of having good skating mechanics.

Given his ugly mechanics (e.g. stride and edgework), it will take a lot of improvement to fix it and go from good skater at the junior level to good enough skater in the NHL. Some guys like Tkachuk can improve enough and compensate in other ways, but a lot of bigger power forward types (e.g. Bellows) just can't overcome it.

Combine that with some of his other deficiencies like the tunnel vision and hockey sense, there's too many question marks around Lindstrom right now to justify spending a top 10 pick compared to all of the other great potential selections slated for the top 10

Last edited by boogerz; 03-30-2024 at 06:09 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:08 PM   #105
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure where you’re getting this, but Lindstrom’s skating is one of his most projectable skills. His agility and edges are just fine, as well as his acceleration. It’s ridiculous to suggest that the things you mentioned will keep him out of the top 15. There have been plenty of centers taken earlier than where Lindstrom is projected to go that were much slower, less defensively inclined, and less offensively talented. You can teach defense, you can’t teach what Lindstrom brings.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 06:10 PM   #106
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure where you’re getting this, but Lindstrom’s skating is one of his most projectable skills. His agility and edges are just fine, as well as his acceleration. It’s ridiculous to suggest that the things you mentioned will keep him out of the top 15. There have been plenty of centers taken earlier than where Lindstrom is projected to go that were much slower, less defensively inclined, and less offensively talented. You can teach defense, you can’t teach what Lindstrom brings.
Some of them were even drafted by us!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:11 PM   #107
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Very unlikley but that would be awesome! Maybe we get him Kylington style.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 06:14 PM   #108
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Being fast and being a good skater aren't mutually exclusive...his good speed relies on him being incredibly naturally athletic instead of having good skating mechanics.

Given his ugly mechanics (e.g. stride and edgework), it will take a lot of improvement to fix it and go from good skater at the junior level to good enough skater in the NHL. Some guys like Tkachuk can improve enough and compensate in other ways, but a lot of bigger power forward types (e.g. Bellows) just can't overcome it.

Combine that with some of his other deficiencies like the tunnel vision and hockey sense, there's too many question marks around Lindstrom right now to justify spending a top 10 pick compared to all of the other great potential selections slated for the top 10
Sorry, but this is nonsense. “He gets from point A to point B faster than anyone, and wins races to loose pucks, but he looks funny doing it, and will be in tough to be an impact player”.

All good, you guys do you, and we’ll see where Lindstrom is picked.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:38 PM   #109
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, but this is nonsense. “He gets from point A to point B faster than anyone, and wins races to loose pucks, but he looks funny doing it, and will be in tough to be an impact player”.

All good, you guys do you, and we’ll see where Lindstrom is picked.
Hyperbole much...there is no shortage of guys who are fast enough for junior, but just are not not fast enough to play their game the NHL due to skating issues.

I ultimately don't care where Lindstrom where is picked, but when the Flames are up on the podium, it would be a shame to pick Lindstrom if a better player like Catton or Helenius is on the table.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:41 PM   #110
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hyperbole much...there is no shortage of guys who are fast enough for junior, but just are not not fast enough to play their game the NHL due to skating issues.

I ultimately don't care where Lindstrom where is picked, but when the Flames are up on the podium, it would be a shame to pick Lindstrom if a better player like Catton or Helenius is on the table.
It would be a shame if any of the stud dmen are available and the Flames picked Helenius or Catton.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 06:46 PM   #111
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
It would be a shame if any of the stud dmen are available and the Flames picked Helenius or Catton.

I agree with you. There's no shortage of great defensemen in the top 10.

That's essentially my point. This year's top 10 appears to be stacked full of players with equivalent ceilings and less holes in their game than Lindstrom.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:48 PM   #112
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

His skating is good enough for the NHL, don’t worry about that.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:12 PM   #113
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not worried about his skating. I have heard criticisms about his lack of creativity though. Like he uses the same plays all the time, over and over, and that may not work at the NHL level. He isn’t a puck distributor which is something you want your number one center to be. The comparisons to Dubois don’t help either. I was convinced he was going to the the next best thing and he disappointed. I am probably biased against him for that reason.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-30-2024 at 08:42 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 07:55 PM   #114
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, I'm really concerned with Lindstrom's injury problems. A poster (can't remember who)in the Draft Thread said he heard a rumor that the reason it took so long for him to return from surgery, when he was originally expected back in February, is because he is suffering from back issues. Not good news, if true.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 08:15 PM   #115
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, my concerns would be the two above posts. But skating/agility isn't the issue. If anything, it helps his floor.

But if it causes him to drop, then maybe it's a Flames blessing.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:19 PM   #116
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be honest, I'm really concerned with Lindstrom's injury problems. A poster (can't remember who)in the Draft Thread said he heard a rumor that the reason it took so long for him to return from surgery, when he was originally expected back in February, is because he is suffering from back issues. Not good news, if true.
Hmmm, I'll ask about that but about 2 weeks ago all I was told he was having trouble gripping his stick
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:28 PM   #117
TornBetween2Pucks
Draft Pick

I don't think he's been mentioned in this thread, but I hope we take Dickinson. He's a Pieterangelo clone. Maybe not the sexiest pick but St.Louis and Vegas fans will tell you that you win cups with guys like that.
TornBetween2Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TornBetween2Pucks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 08:39 PM   #118
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
I don't think he's been mentioned in this thread, but I hope we take Dickinson. He's a Pieterangelo clone. Maybe not the sexiest pick but St.Louis and Vegas fans will tell you that you win cups with guys like that.
I agree but in most mock drafts he's going in the top 6, they say he might be the best skater in the draft.

Not sure we'll fall that far but one can dream.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:57 PM   #119
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
He is the best dman I have seen in the OHL since I started watching the OHL in a serious way 7 years ago. Better than Bouchard, better than Drysdale, better than Mintyukov. He is just a complete dman, Pietrangelo is a good comparable, not sure he has Alex’s mean streak yet.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 08:58 PM   #120
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roger McQueen may be the best WHL player available in next year's draft. I wonder how he compares to Lindstrom. He's bigger than Lindstrom and is having better production at the same age. But I haven't seen him play.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post: