Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2023, 07:19 AM   #41
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's quite the pickle.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #42
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if it has gotten this far then it will get across the finish line
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:30 AM   #43
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cowardly by spurs to publicly accept 3 days before the season opens

Puts it all on Kane

I think it's like 80/20 he goes, but the argument for staying and choosing where he can go next season has to be strong, most likely in England where he can still beat Shearer's record, which is worth more than however many Bundesliga and league cups he wins in Germany

So leaving is the real risk, because if he doesn't win the champions league and ends up missing out on top goalscorer ahead of shearer because he missed even say 3 of his last prime seasons, he would for sure regret it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #44
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounding more and more like he's gonna stay. But if your Spurs and he doesn't sign a new deal, what's the point? Letting him join United or Arsenal next summer for free would be a catastrophe, and the argument that keeping him helps you get Champions League ignores the fact that they've only made it once in the last four years with him, and that was more of an Arsenal collapse than anything.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:54 AM   #45
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If he ends up staying and leaving in a free next summer, what was the point if him not shutting down the Bayern rumours from the start?

It’s brutal for the club to get nothing for him while wasting next season but for Kane what a sick move to allow all these rumours if you knew you weren’t going to Bayern anyways.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #46
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Sounding more and more like he's gonna stay. But if your Spurs and he doesn't sign a new deal, what's the point? Letting him join United or Arsenal next summer for free would be a catastrophe, and the argument that keeping him helps you get Champions League ignores the fact that they've only made it once in the last four years with him, and that was more of an Arsenal collapse than anything.
5th place in prem makes it next season barring an absolutely catastrophic season by english teams in europe this season
Old 08-10-2023, 08:57 AM   #47
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

imagine getting cold feet when a European top club calls ... because you want to stay at Tottenham. Absolute madness if true.

I mean, he and his brother showed that they aren't very smart when they signed that 6 year deal back then. But this, after letting the clubs negotiate for weeks?!? Wow.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #48
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most Bayern fans (myself included) are just wanting this to be over and would find it funny if he stays and this is how it ends. What an absurd transfer saga this has been

I never really thought it was likely to happen when it first came up, but he would be superb, albeit expensive. He's the missing piece for the UCL
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #49
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
5th place in prem makes it next season barring an absolutely catastrophic season by english teams in europe this season
Helps, but this is also the strongest the top half of the league has been maybe ever. Spurs could be better this year and still miss out because everyone else is better too. Plus injuries do happen, it'd be peak Spurs for him to stay, get an ACL in the first few games and then he's gone for nothing and they finish bottom half.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:05 AM   #50
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man City
Arsenal
Man United
Liverpool
Newcastle
Aston Villa

All these teams were already better and have improved their squads over the summer. And then there's Chelsea too ... even if Kane stays, I honestly don't see a path for Spurs at all, even for 5th place.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:10 AM   #51
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Man City
Arsenal
Man United
Liverpool
Newcastle
Aston Villa

All these teams were already better and have improved their squads over the summer. And then there's Chelsea too ... even if Kane stays, I honestly don't see a path for Spurs at all, even for 5th place.
Probably Brighton too.
Spurs are going to be 8/9 territory
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #52
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even if we get CL (we won't) a Spurs team without Harry Kane will be useless in the CL meaning we go out in the group stage which gets you around 40m versus 100m by selling.

Are we really saying that the slim hope of getting embarrassed in 6 group stage matches is worth 60m?
Old 08-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #53
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cowardly by spurs to publicly accept 3 days before the season opens

Puts it all on Kane

I think it's like 80/20 he goes, but the argument for staying and choosing where he can go next season has to be strong, most likely in England where he can still beat Shearer's record, which is worth more than however many Bundesliga and league cups he wins in Germany

So leaving is the real risk, because if he doesn't win the champions league and ends up missing out on top goalscorer ahead of shearer because he missed even say 3 of his last prime seasons, he would for sure regret it
Individual records in a team sport are almost meaningless compared to team achievements.

Unless you’re an Oilers fan.

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 08-10-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #54
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Individual records in a team sport are almost meaningless compared to team achievements.

Unless you’re an Oilers fan.
But because of the nature of this particular sport, they arent really

all trophies arent created equal

I bet most players if asked would rather have Shearer's career, even removing the title season, than multiple squad players from united in the 90s, Chelsea in the 00s, or city the last decade, who have multiple premier league titles
Old 08-10-2023, 10:20 AM   #55
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But comparing squad players and a guy who will be in the conversation for best striker in league history is facetious. For elite players the differentiator is winning titles. So yeah Kane's career is obviously gonna be better than bit players in multiple title winners, but his argument over a Shearer or Aguero is going to be non-existent if he never wins anything.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:35 AM   #56
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
imagine getting cold feet when a European top club calls ... because you want to stay at Tottenham. Absolute madness if true.

I mean, he and his brother showed that they aren't very smart when they signed that 6 year deal back then. But this, after letting the clubs negotiate for weeks?!? Wow.
Could not disagree more. The smart move for him is to not take the move.

Absolute madness to allow Levy to dictate where he goes. He holds all the cards

It's the Bundesliga.
He can stay put and chase the PL record for huge coin next year. More than I'm sure Bayern are willing to pay him..

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #57
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Market price has now been established.

There's potentially the option of selling him to a PL team and recouping something. But Levy is being Levy

But if he goes to FA next year he's looking at ~£500/year

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #58
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But because of the nature of this particular sport, they arent really

all trophies arent created equal

I bet most players if asked would rather have Shearer's career, even removing the title season, than multiple squad players from united in the 90s, Chelsea in the 00s, or city the last decade, who have multiple premier league titles
Not a chance.

Throughout the life of a footballer, it is dreams about medals and trophies. Scoring the record breaking goal in a loss that costs your team the title would be an absolutely hollow experience.

Sport is about winning - team sports is about your team winning.

If your dream is individual accolades, you’d be better off taking up tennis or some other individual sport.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #59
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post

It's the Bundesliga.
He can stay put and chase the PL record for huge coin next year. More than I'm sure Bayern are willing to pay him..
the only madness here is that Kane allowed the clubs to negotiate for weeks despite apparently being unsure about the move. Bayern officials haven't exactly been coy about the fact that Kane clearly indicated to them that he wants the move. And of course he has, otherwise the two clubs wouldn't have tried to come to an agreement for weeks and weeks. So it doesn't really matter what the "smart" move is here, he's wasted everybody's time. This is just piss poor form from Kane and his camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #60
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post

It's the Bundesliga.
That is fine but then Kane should have come out and said no to Bayern right away.

I agree with you the best thing for Kane is to wait a year and go to City/United/Chelsea/Liverpool, but then he should have shut down the Bayern noise rather than go this far down the road. It has hurt Spurs, hurt Bayern and hurt him.