Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #1961
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I would add that when we talk about hanging yourself in a cell there is no where to hang yourself from, it means somehow tieing off on the toilet or edge of your bed and chocking yourself lying on the ground, essentially hanging yourself from a point 2 or 3 foot off the ground
A common method with nothing overhead to really hang yourself with in the first place even in common cells. Is to wrap bed sheets around the sink faucets and sit on the toilet leaning forward until you pass out and then your body weight slowly does the rest. Unfortunately people who don’t want to be here anymore are pretty resourceful at finding ways to accomplish it.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 PM   #1962
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently he had multiple broken bones in his neck, most commonly caused by strangulation, someone cheaped out on hiring the hit man there.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:07 AM   #1963
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or by hanging, reports say. Whether this was a murder or not, I think it's prudent to at least report hanging oneself can also cause those injuries.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #1964
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't the official explanation that he tied a sheet around his neck and to something then leaned forward cutting off the blood supply? I don't see how that would kill a person but maybe.

How is that going to break multiple bones?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #1965
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tie a sheet around you're neck and lean into it, something's got to give. You don't need a violent jerk like most hangings to break bones. A noose and your body weight will break bones.

On a side note, the reason why nooses are turned sideways in hangings is because executions in England were becoming gruesome decapitations.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #1966
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Tie a sheet around you're neck and lean into it, something's got to give. You don't need a violent jerk like most hangings to break bones. A noose and your body weight will break bones
Has this happened before? Examples?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1967
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hyoid bone fractures occur 27% of the time in hangings,

That's from a wiki article. I've read up on executions by hanging in the past, and especially the brutal version of hangings where they wouldn't do the death drop, but haul a person up from the ground so they would strangle, and they did talk about the merciful next fractures in those case as the noose tightened.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #1968
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, and here I thought he was spineless.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #1969
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Wasn't the official explanation that he tied a sheet around his neck and to something then leaned forward cutting off the blood supply? I don't see how that would kill a person but maybe.

How is that going to break multiple bones?
Without getting to gruesome, the way I've seen it explained is the person leans forward and basically chokes themselves out, then their body weight does the rest, after they're already unconscious.

Can't explain the bone-breaking though...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #1970
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that Aaron Hernandez poured soap all over the floor of his cell so he wouldn't be able to stand up at the last minute. As I understand it you're not really hanging yourself as much as cutting off blood flow which makes you pass out rather quickly. And then oxygen depletion takes you out the rest of the way. I think it would be odd to wind up with broken bones in a jail cell hanging. -- He probably punched himself in the face a bunch of times too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #1971
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hyoid bone fractures occur 27% of the time in hangings,

That's from a wiki article. I've read up on executions by hanging in the past, and especially the brutal version of hangings where they wouldn't do the death drop, but haul a person up from the ground so they would strangle, and they did talk about the merciful next fractures in those case as the noose tightened.
That would be when you jump off a stool or the like, a jail house 'hanging' doesn't involve hanging at all, it consists of a very slow strangulation with a soft piece of cloth, if the jumping off the stool hanging is only good for 27% neck fractures I cannot see how the far less violent slow strangulation can manage any.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #1972
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm going to disagree. I mean a person ties a noose around their neck and uses the weight, that's really no different then strangulation or a person putting hands around a neck.

I'm not dying the whole, some guard or hitman or whatever killed him, or strangled him and made it look like a hanging.

I can believe that the guards were sloppy, or sleeping or chose to look another way. But I don't believe that this was a murder job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #1973
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tie a sheet around you're neck and lean into it, something's got to give. You don't need a violent jerk like most hangings to break bones. A noose and your body weight will break bones.

On a side note, the reason why nooses are turned sideways in hangings is because executions in England were becoming gruesome decapitations.
They moved the noose to the side so that the head was jerk sideways and the neck snapped instantly, with the noose at the back it has to overcome the strongest neck muscles, so hangings tended to be either a long winded slow strangulation that could take 10 or 15 minutes and even require the hangman to pull the victim down from the waist to speed the process up or rip the head off entirely, neither were considered in good taste in a time when a good hanging was the entertainment highlight of the week.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #1974
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm going to disagree. I mean a person ties a noose around their neck and uses the weight, that's really no different then strangulation or a person putting hands around a neck.

I'm not dying the whole, some guard or hitman or whatever killed him, or strangled him and made it look like a hanging.

I can believe that the guards were sloppy, or sleeping or chose to look another way. But I don't believe that this was a murder job.
It's a huge difference in terms of force, when you 'hang' from the ceiling your whole weight is involved, when you lean forward its at best 1/3rd of your weight
Old 08-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #1975
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

CSI: Calgarypuck
Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #1976
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't need much force at all to pass out and to never wake up. And it doesn't take much time at all either. Choking yourself to death would be bad. Breaking your neck would be really bad. But you can cut off blood flow with just a few pounds of force. Maybe like ten pounds or something.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #1977
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It's a huge difference in terms of force, when you 'hang' from the ceiling your whole weight is involved, when you lean forward its at best 1/3rd of your weight
Not being crude. But maybe the stats for the injuries found in death by autoerotic asphyxiation will have your answer's? It would be a similar death?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #1978
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

One article I read about prison suicides said that prisoners have hung themselves six inches from the floor by strangulating themselves with sheets tied to a bed frame..

Either way nasty stuff happens in jail/prison

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-death/596029/
Old 08-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #1979
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

My theory. Autoerotic Asphyxiation.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #1980
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This has to be the most macabre thread this place has ever seen.