Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #241
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
This makes absolutely zero sense. Why on earth would you force your top line C to play injured with 8 games to go before playoffs while sitting at the top of the division and having depth guys chomping at the bit to get in the lineup? I think he's just struggling a bit. He's been solid all year, he'll figure it out. Playoff energy can do wonders!
No, it makes perfect sense if Monahan is dealing with a minor issue that he simply has to play through. Sometimes there are injuries that just need to mend over time on their own, and are not affected by taking time off.

I imagine that after the SJ game next weekend we will see him and a few other players like Hamonic, Gaudreau, Giordano come out for the last few games of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #242
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The hit on Smith was a lot more than a “bump.” Yeah, he ensured that it got attention from the officials, but there was no way he would have stayed on his feet from that. So, it was not entirely a “real reaction,” but it was definitely a real hit.

Disagree, but we’ll leave it at that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #243
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late but must be included in any PGT where Mangiapane does good.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #244
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No, it makes perfect sense if Monahan is dealing with a minor issue that he simply has to play through. Sometimes there are injuries that just need to mend over time on their own, and are not affected by taking time off.

I imagine that after the SJ game next weekend we will see him and a few other players like Hamonic, Gaudreau, Giordano come out for the last few games of the season.

Like what? Makes zero sense.
If you are injured you should rest. Unless your injury doesn't affect your game much and the team needs you. Neither is true for the Flames or Monahan right now.

He is either badly injured or in a huge slump.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #245
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Sure maybe for a bruise or something. C'mon man, no one is putting in a top C in this position with a minor injury that could heal if he were simply rested. Smh.
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #246
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
Sure maybe for a bruise or something. C'mon man, no one is putting in a top C in this position with a minor injury that could heal if he were simply rested. Smh.
Exactly. I am saying that if Monahan is playing through something that does not improve simply through rest, then there is no wonder that he will continue to play until the team clinched the Division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #247
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow. Hanifin almost took a rising slap shot right in the face from Biega but at last second a Canuck player deflected puck and it narrowly missed. Thank goodness.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #248
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan has a fortnite addiction
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #249
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Monahan's just having a bit of a cold streak. Gaudreau has gifted him at least 5 goals over the last few games but he just hasn't picked the spot. Eventually one of those will go in.

Lindholm hasn't exactly been blowing up the net either.

Neither really worries me. If Monahan was hurt he would most assuredly been shut down by now. If he's not, Peters will probably play them as much as possible so they can get going before the post-season starts.

But guys. Guys. We are going to finish this season as the best team in the West. The BEST team. So awesome.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #250
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Everything is better with wrestling.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1109869237508538368
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #251
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did Smith make his mask fly off? I think his arms went up to save his face on the glass. Or should he have just gone face first?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #252
Juggernaught
Draft Pick

As a Canuck fan, I readily concede that the Flames are currently a much better team than the Canucks. Even though last nights score would appear that the contest was close, in reality it was not. The Flames were better than the Nucks in just about every area (with perhaps goal tending being even). Outside of that though the game was entertaining and I think both clubs put forth a spirited effort. With the young talent the Canucks have coming up through the system and some better pro signings this Summer I'm hoping they can improve enough to give the Flames a tougher contest next season. Given the ages of the stars on either team I think we can look forward to some great games over the next decade. A little hate in the game is a good thing and Tort's was certainly right about that!
Juggernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Juggernaught For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #253
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Flames Win 3-1 Over Canucks

Quote:
The Flames had a terrible power play heading into the 2017 playoffs, so I wouldn’t put ANY stock in how it’s current performance will translate in three weeks.

[/I]
What an odd recollection. In the first three months of the season NO ONE was having any success shutting down the top line. They were tearing the entire League apart pretty consistently.

[/I]

I get the sense from a lot of posts this season that some people just can’t help but worry. If they’re not worried about the goalies, they worry about the power play, they worry about secondary scoring, or they worry about the top line. The fact is that none of this matters much right now, and history shows that things can turn around in a hurry.

I guess I am just not very worried, and rather overcome by excitement for the playoffs. I believe this team will go far.

It’s not an odd assertion at all. Look at the games when the Flames were shutout. Opposition teams were playing very tight checking games and it wasn’t that they were being stymied, the top line was legitimately shut down in those games. That was my first inkling that they may have trouble in those style games and my prediction has seemingly come to fruition. The New Jersey game was a bit of an aberration as they played the top line extremely loose and gave them all kinds of time and space that’s not typical during this time.

Lastly, the regular season is over in 2 weeks and there’s nothing wrong with discussing things that could become problematic for the playoffs. If there’s obvious and glaring issues, then they can be brought up, after all, this is a forum to discuss the Flames. It’s not something trivial like criticizing text or punctuation.

Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:58 PM   #254
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It’s not an odd assertion at all. Look at the games when the Flames were shutout. Opposition teams were playing very tight checking games and it wasn’t that they were being stymied, the top line was legitimately shut down in those games.
Apologies if my formatting is off, or if this seemed a bit jumbled. Made this post over the course of an hour doing other things, back and forth from the computer as well.

So it's tough to look at the games were the Flames were shut out, it's only happened four times this season, such a short sample size. Regardless we'll look at those three first.

November 23rd vs Vegas; Lost 2-0
Gaudreau had 4 shots
Monahan had 2 shots
Lindholm had 3 shots

Now I don't recall this being a particularly tight checking game, both teams were just under 30 shots a peice., with the Flames having 13 in the third period alone. Obviously the stats don't look good when no goals are scored obviously but still, didn't seem tight checking and the top line lead the way in chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x20LmNoixU

Next shutout was December 9th vs the Oilers.. ugh 1-0 Edmonton
Gaudreau had 5 shots
Monahan had 4 shots
Lindholm had zero

Shots seem average, 30-24 in favor of Edmonton but the top line didn't seem to suffer in a low scoring shutout loss. They had nine shots between two players and just didn't capitalize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIePo-DkP-4

Third shutout loss of the season was 18th of December vs Dallas
Monahan zero shots
Lindholm two shots
Gaudreau three shots

Flames mustered a measly 24 shots against the Stars. This is probably more inline with what you're saying.. but is that a surprise? Is our top line any different from other teams? You don't score any goals you probably don't look so hot.

Fourth and last is March 7th vs Coyotes

Gaudreau two shots
Monahan zero shots
Lindholm zero shots

Yeah, this was an ugly game. Ugly all around.

Think you're 2/4 two of them they were shut down, but the other half no.. they had plenty of chances just stonewalled.

But how come we're only looking at tight checking losses?

What about the 2-1 win vs the Devils last month? top line combines for four points in two goals.
What about the 3-1 win the Islanders the previous night? Top line combined for four points out of the three goals for.

Conclusion? You need a whole bunch more data, tight checking wins and losses for the Flames. Then compare it to those low scoring games other top players are involved in if you want to label our guys as not showing up in these types of games.

I dunno, just not seeing what you're seeing. Monahan isn't playing great, in a funk but he's hardly a guy that checks out in big or tight checking games, no sir.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #255
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got comped tickets to the game courtesy of a friend who works there....great fun! They kept showing all these goals scored against the Flames - but some of them were clearly from 2 or 3 years ago ha ha...kinda funny.

The first period I thought was pretty entertaining - fast good clean hockey. Van got in the way a lot, but the 4th line was superb! Flying around controlling play. I'll take that in the playoffs any day. Even if the first line just holds their own, that's all that's needed. If the bottom 3 or 6 can produce, that will do the job well for us.

The 'Nuck fans were pretty incensed with Smith at the end. Booing him and jeering. Smith couldn't have cared less. Nor the comments from the players. He just kinda shrugged. And smiled.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #256
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaught View Post
As a Canuck fan, I readily concede that the Flames are currently a much better team than the Canucks. Even though last nights score would appear that the contest was close, in reality it was not. The Flames were better than the Nucks in just about every area (with perhaps goal tending being even). Outside of that though the game was entertaining and I think both clubs put forth a spirited effort. With the young talent the Canucks have coming up through the system and some better pro signings this Summer I'm hoping they can improve enough to give the Flames a tougher contest next season. Given the ages of the stars on either team I think we can look forward to some great games over the next decade. A little hate in the game is a good thing and Tort's was certainly right about that!
No way.

Our goalie’s helmet flew way farther than yours.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #257
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
How did Smith make his mask fly off? I think his arms went up to save his face on the glass. Or should he have just gone face first?

I dont believe Smith would launch himself as much as some think. Would he really risk an injury to get a call during a game they are winning with less than 2 minutes to go?
What I find funny is that if MT did that, people (Van) would be losing their minds and probably call for a suspension.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #258
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best part was the Canuck's fans cheering about the dumb penalty that ended the game and put the final nail in the coffin of their season.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #259
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Apologies if my formatting is off, or if this seemed a bit jumbled. Made this post over the course of an hour doing other things, back and forth from the computer as well.

So it's tough to look at the games were the Flames were shut out, it's only happened four times this season, such a short sample size. Regardless we'll look at those three first.

November 23rd vs Vegas; Lost 2-0

Gaudreau had 4 shots

Monahan had 2 shots

Lindholm had 3 shots

Now I don't recall this being a particularly tight checking game, both teams were just under 30 shots a peice., with the Flames having 13 in the third period alone. Obviously the stats don't look good when no goals are scored obviously but still, didn't seem tight checking and the top line lead the way in chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x20LmNoixU

Next shutout was December 9th vs the Oilers.. ugh 1-0 Edmonton

Gaudreau had 5 shots

Monahan had 4 shots

Lindholm had zero

Shots seem average, 30-24 in favor of Edmonton but the top line didn't seem to suffer in a low scoring shutout loss. They had nine shots between two players and just didn't capitalize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIePo-DkP-4

Third shutout loss of the season was 18th of December vs Dallas

Monahan zero shots

Lindholm two shots

Gaudreau three shots

Flames mustered a measly 24 shots against the Stars. This is probably more inline with what you're saying.. but is that a surprise? Is our top line any different from other teams? You don't score any goals you probably don't look so hot.

Fourth and last is March 7th vs Coyotes

Gaudreau two shots

Monahan zero shots

Lindholm zero shots

Yeah, this was an ugly game. Ugly all around.

Think you're 2/4 two of them they were shut down, but the other half no.. they had plenty of chances just stonewalled.

But how come we're only looking at tight checking losses?

What about the 2-1 win vs the Devils last month? top line combines for four points in two goals.

What about the 3-1 win the Islanders the previous night? Top line combined for four points out of the three goals for.

Conclusion? You need a whole bunch more data, tight checking wins and losses for the Flames. Then compare it to those low scoring games other top players are involved in if you want to label our guys as not showing up in these types of games.

I dunno, just not seeing what you're seeing. Monahan isn't playing great, in a funk but he's hardly a guy that checks out in big or tight checking games, no sir.

Wow, that’s some in-depth research you did there, props. But you’re putting words in my mouth here, I never said Monahan checks out in big or tight games.

The main point I’m making is that, the top line is outstanding in games where they have a lot of time and space, especially in the neutral zone where they score at will on the rush. But they struggle to maintain the same level when the league tightens up and the neutral zone is taken away. Regardless of what those shots totals say, there’s a lot of similarities to what I’m seeing now and what I saw in those games you mentioned above.

Less than 2 months ago, Monahan was sitting in the top 10 in scoring, now he’s 24th. This doesn’t feel like a funk to me at all, it looks more like they’re having a tough time producing when they’re not in transition. What I would like to see from this line is for them to get greasier and win more puck battles like the 3M line the Ryan line is doing right now to generate their scoring chances. Scoring off the rush is difficult to do in the playoffs, so adapting is important and I just haven’t seen that from the top line right now and so yes, there is some concern.

Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #260
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canuck fans complaining about diving is mind bottling