Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #221
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Didn't see a dive by Smith when he got hit. Looked to me like he wasn't braced against thr boards like a defenceman would be. Then when he felt contact he threw up his arms to protect himself. Markstrom slash was dirty, didnt need to get him that high up, tbf tkachuk doesn't need to crash the net with 15 seconds left. I'd slash him too. Or jump him and start a good old fashioned brawl.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #222
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1109896445635772418
Old 03-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #223
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Monahan has goals in 4 straight playoff games.

I get the frustration with Mony’s recent production but you can’t really say he doesn’t show up in big or tight checking games.

Pretty sure all those goals were on the PP, which might be fine if the PP was humming along. But even the PP right now is struggling a bit in the last month. They’ve dropped about 2 whole percentage points and have fallen out of the top 10 from 7th to about 12th place.

To me, the concerns that I have now actually extended to the first half of the season. Even when the top line was flying high, you could see in certain tight checking games, the top line was easily shut down.

The silver lining is that the team today isn’t getting shut out like they were at the beginning of the season. The 3M line and now the Ryan line seem to elevate their game in tight checking matchups which is very encouraging to see. So we’ll see how it all plays out in the playoffs, but it might be the most concerning aspect right now for this team as the erratic goaltending seems to have stabilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:30 PM   #224
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t worry about the first line. Right now teams are trying to stop that one line and giving everybody else free reign. There’s little else they can do. I’m not even sure teams are trying to win against the Flames anymore at this point in the season.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #225
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dare say there’s a bit of a resemblance to CM Punk too...

DR Punk?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #226
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Flames Win 3-1 Over Canucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Pretty sure all those goals were on the PP, which might be fine if the PP was humming along. But even the PP right now is struggling a bit in the last month. They’ve dropped about 2 whole percentage points and have fallen out of the top 10 from 7th to about 12th place.
The Flames had a terrible power play heading into the 2017 playoffs, so I wouldn’t put ANY stock in how it’s current performance will translate in three weeks.

Quote:
To me, the concerns that I have now actually extended to the first half of the season. Even when the top line was flying high, you could see in certain tight checking games, the top line was easily shut down.

What an odd recollection. In the first three months of the season NO ONE was having any success shutting down the top line. They were tearing the entire League apart pretty consistently.

Quote:
The silver lining is that the team today isn’t getting shut out like they were at the beginning of the season. The 3M line and now the Ryan line seem to elevate their game in tight checking matchups which is very encouraging to see. So we’ll see how it all plays out in the playoffs, but it might be the most concerning aspect right now for this team as the erratic goaltending seems to have stabilized.

I get the sense from a lot of posts this season that some people just can’t help but worry. If they’re not worried about the goalies, they worry about the power play, they worry about secondary scoring, or they worry about the top line. The fact is that none of this matters much right now, and history shows that things can turn around in a hurry.

I guess I am just not very worried, and rather overcome by excitement for the playoffs. I believe this team will go far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 03-24-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #227
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I wouldn’t worry about the first line. Right now teams are trying to stop that one line and giving everybody else free reign. There’s little else they can do. I’m not even sure teams are trying to win against the Flames anymore at this point in the season.
I’m honestly not necessarily “worried” about our top line and let’s just be a bit more specific here- Monahan and Lindholm. Gaudreau still looks effective every night and trying to make things happen but it’s tough with line mates who are fighting it. Sorry let me be more specific, I’m only worried if he’s injured.

But even though I’m not worried it doesn’t mean that in a game where that line was awful and posters say they were awful that the over-the-top group think defensiveness needs to blow up here. I called a spade a spade in that Monahan played badly. Disagree if you think he played well but to throw a tantrum about an opinion is fairly childish.

It’s not about being always negative or always positive it’s about discussing the game. If it helps all the bruised feelings here for me to comment on things that went well? How about how damn good line 4 is? But 900 posters already talked about that. So I was bringing up another topic. That Monahan sucked. This shouldn’t be a crime. This isn’t Oilerville. It also doesn’t mean he won’t get out of it. But I do have legitimate concerns on his health as we saw this last year and he’s repeating the process this year. And what did we find out at season end? He was hurt and playing through it. That’s not acceptable this year as we gear up for a playoff run. If he’s hurt- sit him. If he’s not- what’s going on?

That’s all I’m saying for all the sensitive ones.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #228
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Didn't see a dive by Smith when he got hit. Looked to me like he wasn't braced against thr boards like a defenceman would be. Then when he felt contact he threw up his arms to protect himself. Markstrom slash was dirty, didnt need to get him that high up, tbf tkachuk doesn't need to crash the net with 15 seconds left. I'd slash him too. Or jump him and start a good old fashioned brawl.
lol, he yardsaled himself after being bumped. You can say it doesn't matter because the guy still can't hit a goalie, but you can't actually defend that as a real reaction to a light hit with a straight face.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #229
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
From u\Galaxy91122 over on reddit:

Tkachuk Gets slashed:
https://streamable.com/jzzzq

Edler hits Smith:
https://streamable.com/hmkd1
Smith sold it for sure. Still a penalty though.

That slash on Tkachuk was crap. No need for either of those plays to happen. No surprise they happened in the last two minutes when Vancouver knew they would lose. I wish we played them one more time, I’d put Prout in and tell him to run Markstrom. What a loser.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #230
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’m honestly not necessarily “worried” about our top line and let’s just be a bit more specific here- Monahan and Lindholm. Gaudreau still looks effective every night and trying to make things happen but it’s tough with line mates who are fighting it. Sorry let me be more specific, I’m only worried if he’s injured.
I'm pretty sure Monahan is injured, but it might not be as serious as it looks. Considering the playoff spot has been all but guaranteed for a while now, he might just have a minor injury that he doesn't want to aggravate before the playoffs.

Plus he's had 7 points in 9 games in March. It's not a terrible pace. Plus he's been fine defensively. (His two-way game is highly underrated here IMO.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #231
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually surprised Vancouver traded Gubranson.
Now they're just throwing around cheap shots and don't have an actual tough guy.
Very weasily type of game from them last night, I guess it suits them.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #232
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
lol, he yardsaled himself after being bumped. You can say it doesn't matter because the guy still can't hit a goalie, but you can't actually defend that as a real reaction to a light hit with a straight face.
So ridiculous. How big is Smith? Are people not familiar with physics?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #233
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I'm pretty sure Monahan is injured, but it might not be as serious as it looks. Considering the playoff spot has been all but guaranteed for a while now, he might just have a minor injury that he doesn't want to aggravate before the playoffs.

Plus he's had 7 points in 9 games in March. It's not a terrible pace. Plus he's been fine defensively. (His two-way game is highly underrated here IMO.)
Do you think Monahan has been good lately?
Old 03-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #234
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
This makes absolutely zero sense. Why on earth would you force your top line C to play injured with 8 games to go before playoffs while sitting at the top of the division and having depth guys chomping at the bit to get in the lineup? I think he's just struggling a bit. He's been solid all year, he'll figure it out. Playoff energy can do wonders!
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeoRock For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #235
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
So ridiculous. How big is Smith? Are people not familiar with physics?
Very familiar with physics, but Smith fanned out liked a flying squirrel cruising to the next tree.

Lots to unpack in this PGT.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #236
jayswin

Exp:

Wait, I though Mr.Coffee was agreeing with me?! Was he actually suggesting that physics suggest a guy like Smith would sprawl out like that from a little bump?
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #237
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I was agreeing with you. Haha. Of course he sold it. When Kelly Hrudey thinks you embellished...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #238
jayswin

Exp:

K good, lol. Wasn't sure for a second.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #239
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My bad!
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #240
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
The hit on Smith was a lot more than a “bump.” Yeah, he ensured that it got attention from the officials, but there was no way he would have stayed on his feet from that. So, it was not entirely a “real reaction,” but it was definitely a real hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote