Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Calgary Stampeders Focus Group

If this message needs to be merged to the Stampeders thread I apologize but I wanted to catch the attention of fans who might not visit that section during the off season.

I was selected to go to the Stampeders focus group meeting next week to talk about the overall fan experience at games and to talk about what could be improved. I thought I'd throw this out here to everyone so that I can hear some of the suggestions fans might want me to bring up. The session I'm attending will be on Wednesday but I know there is another group one on Monday as well.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Silly question maybe but can you ask about the uniforms? I am not a fan of the black and especially now that Ottawa is back in the league with a similar colour scheme. Are they considering returning to classic red and white?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given no path to a new stadium, how are they going to improve the in-person experience. It is awful right now.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's not much that they can improve the experience with the building that they have.

I mean I'm sure there's little things like figuring out line mitigation, but that's unlikely because they're pretty much over 100% in terms of vender spaces.

For me, when it gets too cold I can't go to games anymore because of Arthritis and there's no where to go for relief from the cold except for the bathrooms that stink.

the things that they control they do a good job of.

When we've had our beers with events (Cheap plug for CFLHorsemen.ca) We bought up the empty corners of McMahon because nothing says atmosphere like empty seats. We suggested that if the Stamps couldn't sell them that they should find a way to give them away to youth groups, or poor kids or something like that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Why does everything have to be cash only? Any why have volunteers doing the concessions - both things slow everything down way too much.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tap machines should be available everywhere
Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of a crappy job seeing most responses will center around the facility which can't be improved. I will say when it comes to discussions on a new facility I really hope they consider going with an indoor one as I no longer go to fall games unless I get an invite to the suites. I don't have arthritis but I do have a big 4K TV in my house where it's warm and cozy. I just don't enjoy the experience when I'm cold. I don't know if building a new outdoor stadium or renovating McMahon is going to solve what is an eroding base of fans willing to attend games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know what I would love to see, and the CFL did it once.

Have one or two special event games

I would love to see a vintage college feel game, with the cheerleaders wearing old style cheerleading outfits and doing loud cheers. Put a band in the stands that plays college like fight songs and the Calgary Stampeders theme. Even do old style Stampeder uniforms and sell them for charity after the game.

We need to have more fun at games and make it unique.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The new scoreboard was a good first step.
I'd love a new sound system. The single giant speaker at centre field is awful especially with my season tickets in W.

I'd also like more (real) half-time entertainment. Birthdays and crappy games = yawn. Bring in a band more than once a year.

More fresh food choices.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d like to see replays after every play. From the time the play ends until the huddle is broken for the next play multiple replays should be shown of what just happened.

A new sound system would be great
M*A*S*H 4077 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Level of officiating. As a long time fan and season ticket holder this directly impacts my fan experience. Almost to the point where I’m ready to stop going. I’ll be bringing this up with thwith commish at his address next week. He won’t be able to ignore my questions when he is in front of me and not on Twitter.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Kind of a crappy job seeing most responses will center around the facility which can't be improved. I will say when it comes to discussions on a new facility I really hope they consider going with an indoor one as I no longer go to fall games unless I get an invite to the suites. I don't have arthritis but I do have a big 4K TV in my house where it's warm and cozy. I just don't enjoy the experience when I'm cold. I don't know if building a new outdoor stadium or renovating McMahon is going to solve what is an eroding base of fans willing to attend games.
I don’t think it has to be indoors, and I don’t think we’ll ever get that given the costs. That said, just shielding from the wind would go a long way improving the comfort and would also keep the traditionalist that like outdoor football happy.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I went to one of these for the Flames last week. Be prepared to have half your group made of retirees and waste your time with Complete non-sense and stories from the 80s and 90s.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I went to one of these for the Flames last week. Be prepared to have half your group made of retirees and waste your time with Complete non-sense and stories from the 80s and 90s.

Phhhhhew...glad that aint me young man...my stories are all from the 60s and 70s!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's not much that they can improve the experience with the building that they have.
The bottom line is that I no longer have any interest in going to McMahon for a game. I've done in the past, but right now the stadium experience has worsened at the same time that the TV experience has improved, that I would simply rather watch from home, even if given free tickets.

And I think I represent the type of fan that they need to get at least 2 or 3 games out of a season. I love the CFL. The fact I won't go to a game, when historically I have, is a problem that needs to be addressed - both overall but specifically in Calgary.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Focus on not turning over the ball in the Grey Cup.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The bottom line is that I no longer have any interest in going to McMahon for a game. I've done in the past, but right now the stadium experience has worsened at the same time that the TV experience has improved, that I would simply rather watch from home, even if given free tickets.

And I think I represent the type of fan that they need to get at least 2 or 3 games out of a season. I love the CFL. The fact I won't go to a game, when historically I have, is a problem that needs to be addressed - both overall but specifically in Calgary.
I'm the same way. I used to go to 4-6 home games a season but I've only been to two for the past two seasons. I'd much rather watch it at home. The cash only is a major issue too. I don't carry much cash on me and usually I forget to hit up the bank before the game, causes a backlog of people at ATM's. If they allowed debit/credit everywhere, the experience would be a bit better.

I stopped going to the later games in the season & West Finals just due to the weather. I'm not a fan of sitting outside for 3+ hours when its below zero. Nothing that the focus group can address until the CFL pushes up its schedule.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:58 PM   #18
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Because their opinion doesn't matter even though they make up a good portion of the fan base.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #19
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Moar mini footballs thrown to the fans!

Far too many games, I've walked away without a mini football and got jealous that terminally ill Timmy sitting in the front row got 5 while I got zero.
Have the Stamps considered that maybe middle aged fat guy fan who invested hundreds in the Stamps might want a mini football too?

they should consider throwing them for field goals too

Last edited by Scorch; 01-31-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My biggest thought that is in the Stamps control is the stamps should lean into the fan created chants that have been created over the years. After a touchdown, throw up the "horse" chant on the big screen or the "Counting" Chant. Adding some coordination to these chants will increase their volume, thus encourage more people to get involved with them.

Stadium, food, etc. are all hard fixes, but making the in game presentation stronger is definitely in their control and there are many ways to do it.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote