Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #2261
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
They need to break their Police Union. The blind defence these Unions provide for so many of these blatant offences are sickening.

This strikes home even here in Calgary, where our own force voted in that POS Les Kaminski. It’s systemic, and not exclusive to the States.
Here is the thing, I understand the need and benefits of Unions, but they've far outgrown their purview and mandates and effectively become mafias.

We dont want Police officers being constantly thrown under the bus after every incident or controversy but we dont want them to be immune either.

And lets not pretend otherwise. The protection offered to Police under their Unions and CBAs is effectively immunity. They are genuinely 'Above the Law' and it took an entire country rioting to get a murdering Police officer charged.

There has to be balance and at the moment there isnt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #2262
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #2263
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the ‘92 riots, this black business owner shouts out in frustration with his business being burnt down

Tell me you pro-rioters can’t sympathize with him

Old 06-08-2020, 01:18 AM   #2264
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and wondering if this is a even problem that we CAN 'just throw money at'. I mean...it's not like we have tons of mental health professionals sitting around with nothing to do with their time wishing they had clients. Where are we going to find these folks who are going to go out into our communities to help folks in need, all hours of every day?
Well, with a lot of professions, you can
- identify the need for more practitioners in the profession
- hire qualified people previously not budgeted for (throw money at)
- develop people with partial qualifications (throw money at)
- put educational programs in place (throw money at)

Money is meant to be thrown at things. Fiat currencies help us not barter goats for eggs on a daily basis.

What better way to make something happen than throwing money at it?
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 01:58 AM   #2265
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Here is the thing, I understand the need and benefits of Unions, but they've far outgrown their purview and mandates and effectively become mafias.

We dont want Police officers being constantly thrown under the bus after every incident or controversy but we dont want them to be immune either.

And lets not pretend otherwise. The protection offered to Police under their Unions and CBAs is effectively immunity. They are genuinely 'Above the Law' and it took an entire country rioting to get a murdering Police officer charged.

There has to be balance and at the moment there isnt.
There is very like a need for a police union. They are a specialized profession that have genuine, legitimate, collective interests. It's also a profession where legal help is often needed even if you did nothing wrong, and it's really difficult to get competent legal help without a union, if your salary is that of a police officer.

Even if you disbanded the current unions (which is an extremely problematic idea on a general level, even if it is easy to agree there are problematic unions), the police would likely just unionize again, with much of the same people in charge.

If I was on the Minneapolis city council, I would strongly push for their new law enforcement force (what ever they decide to call it) to start their own new union, and hope that over time that new union gains enough traction to eventually replace the old one(s).
Old 06-08-2020, 04:43 AM   #2266
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, we need far greater funding in a number of mental health and addiction services, but as society starts to crumble with jobs being lost to automation and globalization taking over, things will only get worse and more reliant on policing income redistribution.
Come on. If there's any scenario that should make it evident that compassion, not force, is the answer, isn't it vast numbers of people unemployed through no fault of their own?
Old 06-08-2020, 06:19 AM   #2267
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Come on. If there's any scenario that should make it evident that compassion, not force, is the answer, isn't it vast numbers of people unemployed through no fault of their own?
I'm in full support of that, I realize the way my post came off now, but I don't see it happening properly here in Canada as society begins the shift into one where human beings start to become obsolete in the working world. That was a defeatist and realistic post I made, not what I think should happen.

It's unfortunate, but here in North America rather than taking a serious look at UBI and other forms of earnings redistribution we'll attempt to follow the status quo which will lead to regular uprisings and unprecedented crime.

And our unprepared response to all of this will likely be to use what little tax income we have coming in to increase police presence because that's all we'll be able to do as a short term fix due to our lack of preparation for a changing world.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #2268
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those wondering what "community-led policing" is, AFAIK Seattle is one go-to example in the US on that philosophy. I don't honestly know much about the details, but if I've understood correctly, they've been very happy with the results, and crime statistics are down.

Google would likely help with the details.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #2269
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well, with a lot of professions, you can
- identify the need for more practitioners in the profession
- hire qualified people previously not budgeted for (throw money at)
- develop people with partial qualifications (throw money at)
- put educational programs in place (throw money at)

Money is meant to be thrown at things. Fiat currencies help us not barter goats for eggs on a daily basis.

What better way to make something happen than throwing money at it?
Here's the NYPD pay https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...-benefits.page

Quote:
Salary
Starting salary: $42,500
Salary after 5 ½ years: $85,292.
Including holiday pay, longevity pay, uniform allowance, night differential and overtime, police officers may potentially earn over $100,000 per year.

Additional Benefits
27 Paid vacation days after 5 years of service
Unlimited sick leave with full pay
Selection of medical benefit packages
Prescription, dental, and vision coverage
Annuity fund
Deferred Compensation Plan, 401K and I.R.A.
Optional retirement at one half salary after 22 years of service
Annual $12,000 Variable Supplement Fund (upon retirement)
Excellent promotional opportunities
And they've had to put caps on overtime because people were taking too much.

You are already throwing money at police. Its not like social workers or whoever else are going to cost a ton more than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #2270
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
For those wondering what "community-led policing" is, AFAIK Seattle is one go-to example in the US on that philosophy. I don't honestly know much about the details, but if I've understood correctly, they've been very happy with the results, and crime statistics are down.

I’m really not sure that’s correct.

Seattle’s violent crime rate has actually increased over the last few years, and it remains one of statistically the least ‘safe’ cities in the states. I’ve been to Seattle recently, and if that’s the model, I say no thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #2271
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

You can't point at any one jurisdiction as a great example of community oriented policing, because COP is a framework or series of principles and processes that can be implemented a la carte. Some implement basic components while others implement a large framework. Some implement simplistic methods such as listening sessions with the community, or adopt an open compstat (advanced analytics) with public review and oversight, while others will adopt more holistic controls driven by community engagement and civilian management. Some agencies are closed and have full sworn contingents in every facet, from administration staff to IT practitioners, while others have adopted more civilians in the same roles and maintained just sworn officers for beats and special units.

For example, the agency I worked for began a move to COP and brought in civilian employees in every position that did not require a POST certified officer. This meant civilians were responsible for functions like Evidence, Crime Scene Technicians and Forensics, Records Management, administration positions, customer facing roles, etc. My agency went so far as to implement a civilian investigator group who were responsible for working with the public on petty crime and accidents. We were fully engaged with the COP framework and had a ton of public involvement. Our community respected this and participated greatly with us, even when a large percentage of our community was undocumented. They still trusted the cops to do the right thing and support the community.

But then we had a change in leadership and things went the other way hard. We had an old school Professional Policing chief come in and he did away with as many civilians as he could. I left and watched in horror as the police service went hard right and adopted the paramilitary model to the max and put as many sworn officers into positions as they could. They also went back to old recruiting models and weeded out the "community cops" replacing them with hardcore authoritarians. You can guess where this went. Officer involve shootings and officer on civilian violence skyrocketed, drawing national attention. This was not a good period and they have lost the trust of the community. It is sad to see. COP works when its done right.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #2272
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are millions of videos on youtube that show cops violating rights and police brutality and general bad policing. Over the last few years those sorts of videos have just exploded. I wouldn't want to post just any random one. But after everything that has happened...for a cop to do this 3 days ago is just mind numbing. It's also amazing that he's already been fired and charged...

The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #2273
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There are millions of videos on youtube that show cops violating rights and police brutality and general bad policing. Over the last few years those sorts of videos have just exploded. I wouldn't want to post just any random one. But after everything that has happened...for a cop to do this 3 days ago is just mind numbing. It's also amazing that he's already been fired and charged...

Thats a scenario that probably occurs too often... It was almost being handled okay until out of nowhere he gets tased.

I wonder what protocol is for that situation with someone high out of their mind, on edge wandering around in the street.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #2274
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Rob Laidlaw (Stampede Director and Global TV "commentator") had a W. Brett Wilson moment . . .

Rob Laidlaw

17 hrs ·

Quote:
I posted a published article about George Floyd’s history. I see some people took it out of context. It was not my opinion, it was just a statement of facts written by a reporter (not me). I am sorry if this article written by someone else offended some people, that was not the intent.
I took the post down and I do apologize to anyone it offended.
I am not a racist, I have never been a racist and I will never be a racist.
Thank You ! Rob Laidlaw
Looks like he's moderating his comments.

Last edited by troutman; 06-08-2020 at 10:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #2275
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Thats a scenario that probably occurs too often... It was almost being handled okay until out of nowhere he gets tased.

I wonder what protocol is for that situation with someone high out of their mind, on edge wandering around in the street.

If you've ever watched someone trying to "train" their dog, or get their dog to follow a command it's pretty enlightening. I'd say the average person is willing to spend not more than 30 seconds with their dog in noncompliance. It's like "sit". "Sit". "SIT". "SIIIIIIIIIIIIT" and then the physical part of forcing a sit begins. People have no patience at all. I think the number one thing to do in this scenario would involve patience. Let the guy walk in circles until he gets to a better state. He got a total of four minutes to figure it out.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 06-08-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #2276
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Rob Laidlaw (Stampede Director and Global TV "commentator") had a W. Brett Wilson moment . . .

Rob Laidlaw

17 hrs ·

One of the quickest ways to find out if anyone has any racist views is if they've ever uttered the phrase "I'm not a racist"
Old 06-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #2277
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Rob Laidlaw

17 hrs ·

Ah, the classic "I'm sorry if you were offended" non-apology. Wonderful.

And what exactly is the proper context of the article he posted? Nobody should care a lick about George Floyd's history. Nothing Mr. Floyd may or may not have done in the past, nothing, justifies his murder at the hands of the Minneapolis PD in that moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #2278
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
One of the quickest ways to find out if anyone has any racist views is if they've ever uttered the phrase "I'm not a racist"
Denial as proof of guilt, eh? Makes sense to me!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #2279
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Okay well that guy is just an idiot.

Read the room man....read the room.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #2280
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Denial as proof of guilt, eh? Makes sense to me!
Hemi-Cuda "Doesn't mean to offend you, but......"

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Closed Thread