Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #461
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'd live in Tokyo in a heartbeat if money wasn't an issue.
It's cheaper than here, Rube!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #462
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That would be glorious.
Honestly, we live in a very conservative country which thanks to a whack of natural advantages has not seen fit to really innovate or the lead the way on much of anything over the last 50 years.

It is tiring to hear Canadians defend small things like they are entitlements.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #463
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Millenialsn though annoying will save us from climate change assuming as they get older they don't adapt to Boomer lifestyle of excess.

Millennials are living in cities and avoiding suburbs. Less commuting, less sprawl.

Less inclined to own a car. If own car, drive less. If don't own car live urban and ride share. Can walk to most of live necessities (grocery, work, entertainment).

Lifestyles are more in line with being environmentally friendly. Cars, housing, food, clothing, packaging etc.

If millennials continue this we see cities thrive and suburbs die off. Suburbs converting back to farm land to feed nearby cities. Investment in greenhouses that can grown anything in any climate on this converted farm land.
Except it's not really true:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...s-urban-exodus

https://themortgagereports.com/32395...moving-suburbs

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uying-big-suvs

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...e-data/585667/

and many many more articles.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #464
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It's cheaper than here, Rube!
You're actually not wrong. I think living in BC for the last 10 years has changed my perception on what's cheap and what isn't. I remember when I moved to Copenhagen in 2014 for a bit and everyone was telling me how expensive it was and then I got there and everything was pretty comparable to Vancouver/Victoria (rent, food, booze, public transit). I guess in comparison to other parts of Asia, Tokyo is expensive, but it's not really overly excessive in comparison with most major Western cities.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #465
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're actually not wrong. I think living in BC for the last 10 years has changed my perception on what's cheap and what isn't. I remember when I moved to Copenhagen in 2014 for a bit and everyone was telling me how expensive it was and then I got there and everything was pretty comparable to Vancouver/Victoria (rent, food, booze, public transit). I guess in comparison to other parts of Asia, Tokyo is expensive, but it's not really overly excessive in comparison with most major Western cities.
Tokyo rent is much cheaper than here, so are homes. So is eating out. We live in expensive hell-holes made worse by the suburban homeowner who viciously lobbies to keep it that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #466
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tokyo rent is much cheaper than here, so are homes. So is eating out. We live in expensive hell-holes made worse by the suburban homeowner who viciously lobbies to keep it that way.
LOL. Tell us how you really feel.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #467
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's true. Millennials are essentially following the incentives set in stone by wasteful, selfish Boomers. Can you blame them?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #468
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for sharing. We're screwed then. Need next generations to break consumer cycle to combat climate change.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #469
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also take issue with Peter's notion that SFH are a pox on the Earth. I built a garage that I will use as a workshop to make and repair my own things, so I don't need to throw out everything that breaks, and can built quality furniture from stuff that isn't particle board. I can store bikes to get exercise and keep healthy. I grow my own food in my gardens so some food doesn't need to be shipped to me, and compost everything I can for my own re-use. We have fruit trees and shrubs and flowers for birds and bugs. I capture rain water to reduce flooding issues due to paving everything, and use it to water instead of treated water.

But hey, concrete jungles are so much better.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #470
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also take issue with Peter's notion that SFH are a pox on the Earth. I built a garage that I will use as a workshop to make and repair my own things, so I don't need to throw out everything that breaks, and can built quality furniture from stuff that isn't particle board. I can store bikes to get exercise and keep healthy. I grow my own food in my gardens so some food doesn't need to be shipped to me, and compost everything I can for my own re-use. We have fruit trees and shrubs and flowers for birds and bugs. I capture rain water to reduce flooding issues due to paving everything, and use it to water instead of treated water.

But hey, concrete jungles are so much better.
Be honest though, what % of people with SFH do you think are engaged in all of this? My friends don't even park their vehicles in their garages half the time because they want room in there to smoke when it's cold.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #471
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

By every metric, SFH are bad for the environment. By every metric they are worse than every other type of housing.

As well, it's not endless huge suburbs or a concrete jungle. There are plenty of options in the middle for decent, comfortable city living.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #472
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Be honest though, what % of people with SFH do you think are engaged in all of this? My friends don't even park their vehicles in their garages half the time because they want room in there to smoke when it's cold.
Or it's so full of stuff that they can't park in there. Also Fuzz, I commend you, but I think you're in the minority.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #473
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Or it's so full of stuff that they can't park in there. Also Fuzz, I commend you, but I think you're in the minority.
Yes, well, if more people were like Fuzz the world would be a better place. And have nicer garages.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #474
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Its good for him, but he will use his status as a homeowner to prevent other people from living in his neighbourhood unless they choose his exact consumption pattern.

This attitude alone proves that SFH are based on a fragile political contract that is not worth anything on its own merit beyond what can be protected politically.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #475
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, well, if more people were like Fuzz the world would be a better place. And have nicer garages.
Don't even get me started on garages.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #476
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its good for him, but he will use his status as a homeowner to prevent other people from living in his neighbourhood unless they choose his exact consumption pattern.

This attitude alone proves that SFH are based on a fragile political contract that is not worth anything on its own merit beyond what can be protected politically.
Sorry, who's blocking what now? My neighbour across the street split his lot, and on the new section built a narrow house, and a garage with a suite on top. Went form 1 to 3 places. I don't know anyone who complained. Plenty of infilled buildings have gone up. No complaints. Across the street is a lower income rental village, never had a complaint.

Sure, a few people get all rabble rabbly, but I don't think most people have a problem wit it.

And garages are awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #477
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's almost universally true that humans will use as many resources as they possible can. Make cars twice as fuel efficient and people will drive twice as far. Make houses cheaper and houses just get bigger. Give people free cold fusion energy and they'll try to blow up the moon or ignite the atmosphere or something.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #478
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, who's blocking what now? My neighbour across the street split his lot, and on the new section built a narrow house, and a garage with a suite on top. Went form 1 to 3 places. I don't know anyone who complained. Plenty of infilled buildings have gone up. No complaints. Across the street is a lower income rental village, never had a complaint.

Sure, a few people get all rabble rabbly, but I don't think most people have a problem wit it.

And garages are awesome.
Well, I respect that, for sure, but you know where I am coming from.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #479
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
By every metric, SFH are bad for the environment. By every metric they are worse than every other type of housing.
There's a paper that questions that:

We estimate that downtown high-rise living in Chicago, IL accounts for approximately 25% more life-cycle energy per person per year than suburban low-rise living, on average, contrary to some common beliefs (best estimates were ~141 and ~113 GJ/person/year, respectively). Building operational energy use was found to be the largest contributor of the total life-cycle energy in both the downtown high-rise and suburban low-rise cases, followed by vehicle operational energy.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...dy_for_Chicago
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #480
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Here's another perspective regarding Mr.Moore.

Ah jeez. 41 minutes long and the first 1:11 is basically calling anyone who questions it deniers and mocks skepticism. Sorry, did not proceed.

Moore's points include the fact that the planet has gone back and forth through ice ages and periods of warmth. There's no denying that humans are seriously contributing, just that it's not a new reality for the planet.

Also, if people weren't so afraid of nuclear, things could get figured out pretty quickly. But the environmentalists don't want to hear solutions like that, likewise for solutions in carbon capture that guys like Bill Gates have been working on.

It's an all out war on fossil fuels when it doesn't need to be. A balance can be struck. Deciding to completely stop using fossil fuels by such and such date is a pretty narrow minded solution. An alternative solution is to find ways to use the human created excess carbon emissions for things that are beneficial, and to look at ways of powering our lifestyles in ways that aren't as inefficient as solar and wind.

It just blows my mind that people are so anti-pipeline when it's the most efficient, cleanest, and lowest risk way of doing it. Basically, if you're anti-pipeline, you're for more emissions. How does one reconcile that in their mind? It's just baffling.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote