Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #361
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boy pass interference one is going to ruffle a lot of feathers once the season starts. The egregious missed calls like the one in the Saints game aren't the ones that will be an issue but it's when coaches challenge the really close calls. Hopefully unlike the CFL I hope the NFL goes with the call on the field if it's close as once you open up that can of worms calling PI on hand fighting and minor contact you will start seeing teams with tall receivers throwing up jump balls as win-win situations like the Eskimos do.
Like these?

Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #362
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't click the link as I'm at work, but I remember the one regarding the main pic on there, yeah that one was bad. Was watching it with my Steeler fan buddy and he was losing his mind haha. Though the part of that where the defender could've avoided that is, in DB 101 they tell you never fully extend your arm while engaged with a receiver, as to a referee that may appear to be a push. I suspect that's what happened with that one if the ref looked late. But yeah bad call regardless, glad they've added this.

I'm a little worried about it as well, I'm also a CFL fan and it really slowed things down when they introduced it, with desperate losing coaches taking risks and just throwing the challenge flag hoping something happened. Agreed just stay away from altering calls unless something obvious stands out or it is a slippery slope. In both excited and nervous to see how it goes
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #363
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first thing they need to put a clamp on is letting receivers call PI when there is no initial call. How many times do we see no call and then the receiver starts making a throw the flag motion and it comes out late? Too damn often.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #364
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Here's another interesting take:

NFL’s New Replay Rule On Pass Interference Would Have Totally Changed Patriots-Rams Super Bowl

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110695457280282624

Last edited by Frank MetaMusil; 03-27-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #365
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The first thing they need to put a clamp on is letting receivers call PI when there is no initial call. How many times do we see no call and then the receiver starts making a throw the flag motion and it comes out late? Too damn often.
Not just this though, any call. QBs begging for flags for every little thing is just as annoying. Refs should have more leeway to call unsportsmanlike conduct for those things.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #366
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter

Patriots’ DC Greg Schiano announced he is stepping down.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #367
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Meanwhile, owners made two expected votes earlier Tuesday. They made permanent the 2018 changes to the kickoff rule, which had been made on a one-year trial basis.

Is this the changes they made to on side kicks last year? If so then good job NFL, way to further eliminate any chance of actual action or suspense in your games. Why bother even watching the end anymore as there will pretty much be zero chance of any comebacks now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #368
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
@AdamSchefter
Following Following @AdamSchefter

Patriots’ DC Greg Schiano announced he is stepping down.
Boy that's strange. Belichick is pretty hands on defensively and maybe too much for Schiano as I don't buy that he stepped down to spend more time with his family.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #369
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realize Jordan Howard wasn't a good fit for Nagy's offense, but you'd still think they'd do better than a conditional fifth rounder for him. Bears were probably better off keeping him if this is all they could get.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1111423174707535873
Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #370
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

NFL game between Raiders and Packers in 3rd week of preseason not going to be in Regina. Both Edmonton and Winnipeg have expressed interest as replacement.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 PM   #371
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I realize Jordan Howard wasn't a good fit for Nagy's offense, but you'd still think they'd do better than a conditional fifth rounder for him. Bears were probably better off keeping him if this is all they could get.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1111423174707535873
Not a great return. Howard's last season paired with his poor fit was a recipe for a brutal return. I'd have preferred it not be a conference team to boot.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #372
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Not a great return. Howard's last season paired with his poor fit was a recipe for a brutal return. I'd have preferred it not be a conference team to boot.
Probably a decent fit for him with the Eagles, too, considering they'll likely roll a RBBC with some combination of Howard, Adams, Clement, and possibly Sproles. If Wentz can stay healthy and get back to his 2017 form, that offense should be able to keep pace with any offense in the league, especially if Goedert keeps headed on his current trajectory and they can run a bunch of 2 TE sets with Ertz in the slot.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #373
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

what am I missing here? 24 years old, 3370 rushing yards and 24 TDs over 3 years - why the hell is a player like that just given away for a conditional 6th? What a steal for Philly.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #374
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
what am I missing here? 24 years old, 3370 rushing yards and 24 TDs over 3 years - why the hell is a player like that just given away for a conditional 6th? What a steal for Philly.
He's a pretty one-dimensional player who had a bad year last year. The Bears were unlikely to re-sign him after 2019, so this way they at least get something for him. That said, you'd have to think the comp pick they would have gotten for him next year would be better than what the Eagles traded for him and it wouldn't shock me at all to see the Eagles let him walk next year for a comp pick because that's been their front office strategy for a few years now.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #375
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titans owner won't let Texans wear the Oilers uniforms.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...s-13724545.php
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #376
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
He's a pretty one-dimensional player who had a bad year last year. The Bears were unlikely to re-sign him after 2019, so this way they at least get something for him. That said, you'd have to think the comp pick they would have gotten for him next year would be better than what the Eagles traded for him and it wouldn't shock me at all to see the Eagles let him walk next year for a comp pick because that's been their front office strategy for a few years now.
Well not only do you get the comp pick, you get a guy in his contract year who is highly motivated, all for a late round pick you are highly unlikely to get a meaningful contributor next year like Howard can be. Unless the Bears know something no one else does, this is a pretty strange move for them.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #377
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Titans owner won't let Texans wear the Oilers uniforms.

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...s-13724545.php
Titans should wear them then, they're such slick unis. I believe they were still called the Oilers their first year or two in Tennessee after the move too, when they were playing in Memphis temporarily. I'd love to see those return
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #378
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1112845968003751936
Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #379
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I feel new blood is never a bad thing when it comes to officiating as over time it's human nature to develop biases towards some teams or players. Main issue here is that it's a lot of officials to replace in a short time frame so there could be growing pains with some of these new guys.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #380
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well not only do you get the comp pick, you get a guy in his contract year who is highly motivated, all for a late round pick you are highly unlikely to get a meaningful contributor next year like Howard can be. Unless the Bears know something no one else does, this is a pretty strange move for them.
Not really. Tons of dual threat running backs in the draft this year and even guys like Duke Johnson or TJ Yeldon would just fit better in Nagys system. Not many offenses use big, North-South power backs these days if they cant run routes.

The Bears tried to get him going but because of his his limited skillset it was obvious what the offense was doing when Howard was on the field. Either way I'll je rooting for him in Philly, but I'm not sure he actually ever gets back to where he once was since an old school coach like John Fox isnt running that team
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote