Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2023, 09:50 PM   #2041
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I enjoyed the episode. The Raffi Worf stuff less. But overall I thought it was a real leap forward after the first few episodes dealing with the nutbar Captain.

I also liked seeing the return of Ro maybe because I'm a fan of Michelle Forbes. There was some good tension in it. But one of the best things is we didn't get the usual dark combat, and the Intrepid looked incredible as it powered itself back up.

I think it terms of Picard it was one of the best episodes that they've done.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 11:05 PM   #2042
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best episode of the season so far. That was excellent.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 11:52 PM   #2043
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dude. Stahp!

Its not even noon. Where are you that you're watching this first thing in the morning?
I downloaded this at 12:00 AM right when Wed turned into Thursday. I can't wait for this show every week! I watch it before I sleep.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:11 AM   #2044
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this is the best Star Trek I've seen in the "season-long story" format as opposed to the traditional stand-alone episodes, that last episode was great.

It occurred to me that other than a couple of quick references there are absolutely no connections to the first 2 seasons of Picard, you can just pretend they didn't happen or if it's not too late skip them altogether and go straight to season 3. I guess with the exception of Raffi's storyline but even there you would pick up what you need to know in the first few minutes aside from her connection with Picard.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:16 AM   #2045
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I was really hoping Worf would stab Raffi until she was dead, and I can't begin to tell you how much I dislike Worf.
You are not a merry man.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #2046
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes. But it owned it.

It didnt try and pretend it was something else with lens flares and shaky-cam.
This is why I think SNW and Lower Decks are the best of the modern Trek bunch. They know what they are and are content to be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I think this is the best Star Trek I've seen in the "season-long story" format as opposed to the traditional stand-alone episodes, that last episode was great.

It occurred to me that other than a couple of quick references there are absolutely no connections to the first 2 seasons of Picard, you can just pretend they didn't happen or if it's not too late skip them altogether and go straight to season 3. I guess with the exception of Raffi's storyline but even there you would pick up what you need to know in the first few minutes aside from her connection with Picard.

They're made references to Picard being an android golem. I think that would be the weirdest thing if you skipped right to S3 imo.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:27 AM   #2047
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I think this episode was better, but the bar is so low.

Positives:
- no strange vadic character
- Ro was good
- Uss Intrepid and space scenes still cool

Negatives:
- Raffi should be dead
- Also nerfing Vulcans now? No way the vulcan couldn't just have used his vulcan strength to #### them up in hand to hand combat, right?
- Overused Starfleet's highest echelons are compromised plot. Again. Biggest trope but Starfleet's got the worst leadership history of any organization, ever! Impossibly easy to infiltrate and often corrupt as #### even without infiltration.
- The founders could already pass the blood test. This was a major plot point around the whole Julian and Martok infiltrations. Why was this forgotten?
- the subtitles give away a lot
Spoiler!

Also, although I'm generally fine with cheesy worf, I was groaning hard at the whole fake death, today is a good day today bit. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by Monahammer; 03-17-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #2048
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

#illtakelensflaresovergrimdark
Old 03-17-2023, 10:14 AM   #2049
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Positives:
- Ro was good

Negatives:
- Raffi should be dead
- Also nerfing Vulcans now? No way the vulcan couldn't just have used his vulcan strength to #### them up in hand to hand combat, right?
- Overused Starfleet's highest echelons are compromised plot. Again. Biggest trope but Starfleet's got the worst leadership history of any organization, ever! Impossibly easy to infiltrate and often corrupt as #### even without infiltration.
- The founders could already pass the blood test. This was a major plot point around the whole Julian and Martok infiltrations. Why was this forgotten?
Spoiler!

Also, although I'm generally fine with cheesy worf, I was groaning hard at the whole fake death, today is a good day today bit. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I keep going to the point that Jack is either Borg infected, or he's a replicant of some kind.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:17 AM   #2050
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Vulcans are strong compared to humans but to Klingons?
Old 03-17-2023, 11:20 AM   #2051
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yeah, inconclusive, I'll admit. I think we've seen that humans can effectively fight klingons hand to hand though, and we know that is not really possible against a Vulcan motivated to fight.

Take me out to the holodeck also skirts over this, just saying that worf "might" be able to match the vulcans hand eye and strength. But we're also talking about old worf here and a vulcan that looks mid life at most, potentially even young given he said he grew up with a ferengi. IMO he should have been able to clown them both.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:29 AM   #2052
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooh tho....

Have we discounted the possibility that since Jack is Picard's biological son that he may have inherited congenital Space Dementia and its just manifesting early?

I mean, while sipping holo-booze as the ship and crew died around them they were discussing when Picard lost his hair, maybe he should have mentioned the Space Dementia?

It could be that Capt. Vadic is the Galaxy's most dedicated Doctor making the most frustrating of House Calls?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #2053
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Positives:
- Ro was good

Negatives:
- Raffi should be dead
Spoiler!

While I agree the blood test thing is silly, they didn't forget. Crusher mentions it's an 'evolution'. So they pay lip sevice to change.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #2054
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
#illtakelensflaresovergrimdark

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only lens flare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Klingons and Humans are equal in raw strength. Where Klingons excel over humans (and Vulcans) is just raw durability.

In this case, this particular Vulcan had three major issues/realizations over the course of this. Hubris to not realize it was a bad idea to not just out right kill them if that was the plan. Cowardice in not being willing to do the dirty work himself. Finally, the logical ability, when combined with cowardice, to see that even with his strength advantage he would probably lose in a 2 on 1 fight against a starfleet intelligence agent and a likely very recognizable paragon of Klingon martial prowess and skill who is known for killing both the most recent challenger to and actual Chancellor before Martok, who he also crowned chancellor. All that strength probably doesn't stop Worf from slitting his throat once he was behind him and Krinn likely knows that.

As a complete aside... was that Joe Toye?

Edit - It was Joe Toye!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 03-17-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #2055
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Like I said, I liked the Worf Raffi stuff less, the episode dragged whenever it went to those two.

But it was so James bond villain, with the whole, give two idiots a knife and let them fight to the death.

I wanted the Scott Evil line from one of the Hench men "I have a gun, we can get you a gun and we can shoot them together. It'll be a team building exercise"

Old 03-17-2023, 12:50 PM   #2056
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I keep going to the point that Jack is either Borg infected, or he's a replicant of some kind.
What's weird are his visions are of a Terminator 2 type city being destroyed in nuclear fire. I can't account for that or the weird branch/tendril things either.
The subtitles last night said the voice was Beverly, maybe that's a flashback to his childhood nightmares when his mom was trying to calm/wake him up.

In any case, Beverly seems to be the mom to some crazy metahumans. She could give birth to a superhero team.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:40 PM   #2057
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've been trying to figure out the tendrils and the falling leafs stuff.

I kept going back to the Borg Nanites, just due to the one crew person being infected with the tendrils in his vision.

Old 03-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #2058
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Could be a tie back to season one with the uber machines. Could be pah-wraiths (red eyes). Could be Borg. Could be something completely new.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:45 PM   #2059
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

oh frack

Spoiler!

Old 03-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #2060
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Nice catch cap. That would actually be interesting, and would also be a good twist for both a Seven character (she has a total phobia and hatred for them) and it would be interesting to see how Picard felt towards them, if any lingering borg within was immediately compelled to disgust.