Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #201
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Ducay, how short are you cutting your grass?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #202
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'd trade you guys, cause I know where the large brown patches on my lawn came from...overfertilizing during the June heat wave, resulting in massive burning. and thus sadly ends my relationship with the normally reliable Scotts Turfbuilder. I will henceforth switch to organic which is supposedly burn/stupid-proof.
Hmmm, I wonder if that what happened in a few areas for us too? Although, we do use a lawn service company, you would think they would know better, right?
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #203
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Ducay, how short are you cutting your grass?
Its at least 2.5 to 3", so I think that is sufficient. I find it odd it doesn't start appearing to later in July each year, even though I've been mowing consistently for the entire season.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #204
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

That's not bad, picture makes it look shorter. I was going to suggest bad drainage/overwatering and cutting too short. Hmmmmmm.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #205
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am witness to a bit of a lawn care competition at home. Neighbors immediately adjacent to my house have different companies treating their lawn. Weed Man is looking way better than Green Drop.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #206
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Yeah, mine looks like yours Ducay, but the patches are much larger/well defined (3" by 6" or so). Much bigger than some bugs would do but you never know...and it's definitely not pets as the same patches are in the backyard, and we don't have any pets that party out there. It could be that the voles have found new parts of my lawn to munch on and destroy from underneath (although they are larger than the classic tracks they usually leave), in which case I just need them to be exterminated and then the lawn can grow back. I'll get a picture up sometime too.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #207
TKB
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I am witness to a bit of a lawn care competition at home. Neighbors immediately adjacent to my house have different companies treating their lawn. Weed Man is looking way better than Green Drop.
I would never recommend green drop. Green oasis would be my suggestion for anyone in need of fertilizing/weed killing on the lawn.
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TKB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #208
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
That's not bad, picture makes it look shorter. I was going to suggest bad drainage/overwatering and cutting too short. Hmmmmmm.
I think it may be overwatering which possibly is leading to 'Brown Patch" fungus. (Looks potentially similar to my pictures).

I'm pretty aggressive on watering as I have auto-irrigation, so I might cut down the frequency and amount of waterings and see how that impacts it. I'll also take a look for any cinch bugs.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #209
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I think it may be overwatering which possibly is leading to 'Brown Patch" fungus. (Looks potentially similar to my pictures).

I'm pretty aggressive on watering as I have auto-irrigation, so I might cut down the frequency and amount of waterings and see how that impacts it. I'll also take a look for any cinch bugs.
For those with sprinkler systems, how much are you watering your lawn, as in times per week and minutes/zone?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #210
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
For those with sprinkler systems, how much are you watering your lawn, as in times per week and minutes/zone?
Note all below is my opinion I am not an expert nor do I know anything (so take my thoughts with grain salt) compared to my wife & her green thumb.

We use Weedman - for the weed & fertilization & aerated last fall.

Auto sprinkler - Pretty much following the 60 minutes per week (3 x 20 or 4 x 15 minutes) & normally do this in the early morning.

Area we are seeing this though is our front yard - getting the morning & early afternoon sun (facing east mainly & south)
Great in the winter to melt the snow during Chinooks, but can definitely tell the front gets much hotter sun than the backyard - which is completely green - no issues in back with those few dead patches.

The main difference this year compared to last & all prior years is I forgot to rake the dead thatch in the spring.

We did have an aphid infestation this year though which took over one 7 yr old bush completely (we tried various treatments, but it almost seemed when we treated the bush - the aphids actually came back worse.)
We've finally noticed the lady bugs & their larvae are finally reproducing the past 2 weeks or so. The lack of these earlier on in the spring / early summer could also be part of reason of the over infestations of aphids earlier this year's growing season.

That being said I do not think aphids are reason for this brown patches, nor the voles we've seen in a few prior years that tore up the back yard in the past.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno099 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #211
Buckwheat's barber
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

A quick tip: when trying to determine what turf disease you may have, examine individual leaf blades. This will able you to better narrow down what fungus you may have. Regardless of the disease, bagging your clippings is a good starting point to reduce the spread of the disease.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #212
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My backyard has one of those 5' (guess) black chain link fences at the rear (wood fence on the sides) that I think the city or developer originally installed. I'm always uncertain if I'm allowed to replace as it backs onto a park and there's very few that have replaced.

Anyway, what I was thinking about doing was putting up some lattice an inch off the fence and growing a vine as a privacy wall since I won't really be building a fence any time soon.

Any rules about how high I can build the lattice? I saw one vine, can't remember which that said it can grow 30' in a single season, likely a better climate than Calgary though. Any suggestions for a vine to plant? Thinking about doing it in the next few weeks - might be too late I know, but some plants do better planted in the late summer / fall as it gives the roots a chance to grow while the above ground part doesn't grow too much in late summer. Ends up having a stronger root system, or so I've read.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hops do well here. Plus, beer.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #214
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Virginia creeper. In the fall they turn that deep red.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #215
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hops do well here. Plus, beer.
Hops grows very well, but it can be like a weed and quickly get out of control so you need to be a bit careful where you plant it.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #216
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Hops grows very well, but it can be like a weed and quickly get out of control so you need to be a bit careful where you plant it.
now you tell me.... I think I've got it kinda isolated, and along the back fence. It can have its way with the alley, for all I care!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #217
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Funny, I came to this thread to see if anyone has any experience with vines. Fuzz I take it you planted the hops, did you check out Clematis? That's what I've been recommended.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #218
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have 2 Clematis plants growing against my house. They are fine, but I think you would need several to cover any sort of area and I don't remember them being all that cheap. $50 a plant? Fairly indestructible once established, though. Oh, and I like to call them Chlamydia plants when visitors ask what they are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #219
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

First round of raspberries today! A week or 2 earlier than last year.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #220
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So I noticed a critter digging a hole in my back yard last night up on the retaining wall. I currently don't have anything planted in the retaining wall yet, but I want to stop the problem before it spreads. I suspect it could be a gopher, based on my research on Google. The mound is fan shaped, and I can't really see any vole trails, since there is no grass up there. The only vegetation up on the retaining wall is a bunch of weeds that spread from my deadbeat neighbour. Anyone have any tips on how to identify what kind of critter it is, how to get rid of it before it spreads, and how to prevent an infestation? I plugged up the hole with the dirt mound for the time being until I find a more permanent solution.

I have heard of something called the Giant Destroyer, which is a smoke stick that releases sulfur gas to smoke out the critters. Apparently the City of Calgary uses these.

Also, would this be something that I could file a complaint against my neighbour? I've had so many issues with this neighbour. Their retaining wall is not doing it's job properly, which causes dirt to fall into the drainage swale between our houses, causing a blockage. This resulted in a flash flood last summer. Also, they never take care of their weeds, so I'm constantly having to pick weeds from my yard.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies