Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #61
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok, ok,....I get it View Post
do you know any stores, it was one of the only good things I found about Croatia
Yup. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Sunterra Market in the Signal Hill area. It's on Sirocco Drive. There's a liquor store there and it's called Crowfoot Liquor.

http://www.crowfootliquor.com/Locations.aspx
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #62
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

this is the worst beer I have never tasted

ok, ok,....I get it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #63
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

This beer is fabulous.

Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #64
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
do you know any stores, it was one of the only good things I found about Croatia
If for some reason they don't have it there, drop me a PM and I have a few people I can ask.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #65
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
This beer is fabulous.

oh you did not

Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #66
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Is there hype?? I don't know, I was looking for something new one day, picked up a case of La Fins, and the rest is history. I've been in love with the beer ever since.
Well, the hype tends to come from beer drinkers who say its the greatest beer around. Its decent. It's not something I'd buy often though.

But really, some guys are really beer snobs. Which is fine. I guess I was a little disappointed with the Unibroues I've had. I'm not huge on really strong/bitter beer. For me, I like a smooth beer with a pleasant taste. I know a few guys who drink beer they clearly dislike just because they think "real men drink dark beer." (despite it being something mass produced and nasty like Rickards Red)

My beer tastes are far too moody to pick favorites. Sometimes that's a Kokanee brew, sometimes its Heineken, Birra Moretti, Hacker Pschorr, Estrella, Innis & Gunn, or Asahi Super Dry, Guinness, DAB, Hoegaarden, Stella, Velvet Fog or MGD.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #67
rockstar
Franchise Player

Exp:

OH god. I promised myself I'd have a dry weekend, and opening this thread pretty much fataed those chances.

Maudite is delicious! And it works really, really well. I haven't tried Fin du Monde yet, but I keep hearing about it.

I tried some kind of Belgian "Bokbier" the other week and it was amazing as well.

I enjoy Kronenbourg 1667. and Steamwhistle. And Keith's, of course. It's a staple. Stella's nice. Grolsch, Bavaria, very nice.

From my Euro travel days, beers like Birra Moretti and Amstel have significant sentimental value.

Guiness is great when I want to get drunk and want a meal at the same time.
MMMMM!

So many others. And more still that I've yet to try. It's gonna be a long weekend...

rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #68
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's sad that no one has mentioned Big Bear....who among us has not been mauled by the Big Bear

The Following User Says Thank You to ok, ok,....I get it For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #69
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's sad that no one has mentioned Big Bear....who among us has not been mauled by the Big Bear
My friends drink Big Bear and Sunny D....
Garbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #70
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
My friends drink Big Bear and Sunny D....
that is wicked...the best drink I ever hard was slivovits and squash......orange flavoured rocket fuel!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #71
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I love the Unibroues (and if anyone ever called me a beer snob, my buddies would vomit from the laughter) but I could understand why people would not like it, I would even understand if someone decided to call it something other than beer. It is more of an alcoholic beer-like beverage.

Also I would definitely not put unibroues anywhere near the same category as a guiness or other "dark" beers, they don't have anything in common except for the colour. The rugby playing scrapper might say real men drink dark beer but they sure wouldn't be talking about the unibroue/belgian type dark ones.

I do not like the overly hop flavour found in pilsners (the beer type, not the saskatchewan stuff), least favorite beers, like Tree, heineken or stella. Toughest beers to choke down.
Yeah, that's a really good way to put it. Yeah, most Unibroues aren't really like the traditional dark beers, I was just going on a tangent on how beer snobbery can go too far. Its great for guys that truly like their beer though.

I find Tree is way too hoppy, not a fan of that whole brewery. My issue with Heineken/Stella/Carlsberg (also a nice beer in ideal condition) is that they often come in green bottles, which means a good chance you get a skunky beer and it really accents the hops. I try to get them in either cans, mini-kegs, the enclosed boxes or on tap.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #72
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure we've all had nights trying to conquer one of those horrid beasts quicker than our buddies to win the venerable title of "Chief Big Bear"
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #73
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Post #4
I should have known, the official drink of Edmonton, Mullets, High Tops, and sleeping with your cousin.....
Old 03-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #74
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
I don;t think its the same meaning, weiss is actually weiB which is white (with that weird B like letter that is said with a double SS), weizen is wheat, just sounds the same, hefe is yeast. Konig Ludwig is the best german weiss beer I have seen in the city. You have to pour them right too.
It was explained to me as being the same. They called it wheat/white beer. Also how something like Grasshopper is a kristalweiss. Anyhoo..
Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #75
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
that is wicked...the best drink I ever hard was slivovits and squash......orange flavoured rocket fuel!

its surprisingly good and dirt cheap
but gives you just the worst hangover as sunny d is just brutal

Personally i avoid those days now that im out of school
Garbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #76
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe that is it, I don't like any green bottle beer, all gross (mqybe thats why steam whistle tastes like fata) but I have had carlsberg on tap and it was really good.
Nothing is more disappointing than buying a 6 pack of skunked beer. Try Heine or Stella on tap, and you might have a different view of it. Carlsberg is a similar brew.

I have no idea why they don't use the brown bottles. Unless some people love when it gets too bitter from sunlight.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #77
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Nothing is more disappointing than buying a 6 pack of skunked beer. Try Heine or Stella on tap, and you might have a different view of it. Carlsberg is a similar brew.

I have no idea why they don't use the brown bottles. Unless some people love when it gets too bitter from sunlight.
Becks does not get the love it deserves...I think it is the best of the green bottled beer
Old 03-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #78
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Becks does not get the love it deserves...I think it is the best of the green bottled beer
Yeah... I've just never had it when it wasn't skunked from exposure. Maybe one day if I see it in cans or in a fully enclosed box, I might take a chance on it again.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #79
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post

You're kidding right? Like, shot of Jag and THEN beer? Or both together?

Either way, I love Trad and I love Jag, but together???
Together. Try it.

We all talk about Molson, Tree, Kokanee, Rickards, Keiths, Big Rock, Wildrose, Unibrouwe. Sleemans, Moosehead, Granville Island and I believe Steam Whistle. Are there any other Canadian macro/microbreweries people know of that are good?
________
Fetish Latex

Last edited by Cactus Jack; 05-15-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #80
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Together. Try it.

We all talk about Molson, Tree, Kokanee, Rickards, Keiths, Big Rock, Wildrose, Unibrouwe. Sleemans, Moosehead, Granville Island and I believe Steam Whistle. Are there any other Canadian macro/microbreweries people know of that are good?
uhm...Wild Rose is a micro....macro breweries generally suck......or it's possible I am confused by your post

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty