Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:
Default Chicken on the Way/Calgary Swingers

My friend was over earlier today and she was saying she "heard" from a "reliable source" (ie - her friend's friend's brother who has "first-hand knowledge") that there is a secret swingers club in the basement of the Chicken on the Way building over on 10th and Kensington. I pointed out that as far as I can tell, there IS no basement at that place, and if there was, I can't imagine a less appropriate setting for getting it on, but hey, what do I know?

Personally, I think her "source" is, as we say in the business, "sucking on the crack pipe right down to the last fumes", but I have to ask - has anyone else heard this rumour? Or should I just go there and ask if it's true?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
NSFL
Random Title Change!

Exp:

Someone interested in getting involved?

NSFL=Not So Funny Lady. But I will also accept Not Safe For Life and Not Sober For Long.

You know you wanna read about nail polish:

http://polish-holic.blogspot.com/
NSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

WHO CARES ABOUT SWINGING...when you've got Crisp Golden Brown Fried Chicken...

The corn fritters don't taste as good anymore, not after they switched to the trans-fat free stuff supposedly. It's nolonger on the edge of burned to a crisp...it's too mushy and not fried totally now.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-03-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doing the nasty with multiple and various random partners with uncertain hygienic standards in the unquestionably filthy underbelly of a cut-rate fried chicken joint is arguably the only thing more disgusting than the food from said cut-rate fried chicken joint.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The only rumor I know about that place is that the family that runs the place owns their supply chain -- both a chicken farm and a potato farm.

Fun Chicken On The Way facts:

Anyone remember the stereotyped "mush-mouf" cartoon black guy logo (updated in the early 70s to include flared pants) outdoor signage until political correctness killed it?

Way back when, I guess they delivered too.

Also, for those of a certain vintage, the early 80s local punk group "The Golden Calgarians" featured a song entitled "Chicken On The Way."

I dunno about the swingin' thang. Maybe the gigantic rocket next door at Tel-Star Drugs fed the phallocentric myth.

That was always Calgary's retro-kitsch street corner, until Tel-Star went out of business.

Oh, and the Glenbow Museum apparently has that big Tel-Star Drugs rocket ship sign in storage.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 05-03-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: that was probably inappropriate
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #7
Got Miikka?
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
as far as I can tell, there IS no basement at that place
There's no basement at the Alamo!

(Sorry, I have no offering as far as a solution to the question posed in this thread, nor have I - a lifelong Calgarian - been to Chicken on the Way at any point during at least the last decade, so I can't speculate as to the continued quality of their product/decline thereof.)
Got Miikka? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

there are swingers clubs in both calgary and edmonton, just do a google search. The reason I know this is that one of my exes was into this kind of stuff, and after we had been dating for a bit she asked me if I would go with her to one of them. (to which I said no of course, since I don't share my womens..... I should have gone I guess, since we broke up over this anyway, at least I might have had some fun)

Anyway, as far as it being in a basement, there may be one there (doubtful), but the one she wanted to go to, and had a website for, was as far as I can remember in a nondescript looking warehouse somewhere, but inside it was like a fancy hotel.

Oh, and before you get your hopes up, they don't allow single guys in. They will allow single girls and couples only.

Last edited by Crispy's Critter; 05-03-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: clarification of a point
Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Doing the nasty with multiple and various random partners with uncertain hygienic standards in the unquestionably filthy underbelly of a cut-rate fried chicken joint is arguably the only thing more disgusting than the food from said cut-rate fried chicken joint.
that was really funny.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha. I have heard the same thing. But I guess the basement is in the Vietnamese sub place next door. It used to be called Ng's. I'm not sure if that's still the name of the place.
I will take Chicken On The Way over Peter's any day.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #11
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

The coolest thing about COTW is the potato peeling thingy that got...actually the operation in its entirety is pretty cool. I'm amazed and how many nights the owner is in there slaving away though...tough life but he must enjoy it.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more amazed he hasn't had to have multiple bypass operations.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW you can buy one of those Red COTW shirts that they wear for $10. That's great value. Less than a Hungry Man combo.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
that was really funny.

Seriously though, I've walked in the front door of that place and I felt like I needed a shower. Could you imagine the basement?

Thats probably where they keep the goddamn chickens in the first place.

It must be hard to get into mood amidst all that incessant squawking and the prevailing atmosphere of certain doom.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFL View Post
Someone interested in getting involved?
LOL, are you?
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #16
JT45
Farm Team Player

Exp:

No idea bout swingers but they do have a basement down there...and it's actually pretty huge. I was down there tryng to read a gas meter many years ago. Don't remember too much except for a chute that must have been used for produce/supplies/naked bods, and a generally creepy medieval dungeon type feel.
JT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:42 AM   #17
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Look at it this way, with all the grease I am sure is down there, they should be no need for lube
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
LOL, are you?
Bruce only asks because NSFL is asian.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
See, that's what I was thinking - could there be a more unlikely place? On the other hand, though, if you were intent on keeping it a secret, it would work really well. On the other other hand, since it isn't illegal, why keep it a secret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Ha. I have heard the same thing.
Hmm, so maybe it's an urban legend and not just crazy talk (if there is a difference, that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT45 View Post
No idea bout swingers but they do have a basement down there...and it's actually pretty huge. I was down there tryng to read a gas meter many years ago. Don't remember too much except for a chute that must have been used for produce/supplies/naked bods, and a generally creepy medieval dungeon type feel.
Maybe they grease you up with chicken fat and throw you down the chute? I can see how that'd be a big draw...
Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Yikes... That is one of the single most disgusting pictures I have ever seen...

Bad chicken! Bad, bad, bad!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote