Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #21
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is it true the police took upwards of fifteen minutes to respond to an armed robbery?!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 08-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #22
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Also, to add to the awesomeness of this clerk, I was a semi-weekly customer (few times a month) and came in hobbling on an injured leg a couple years ago. He exuberantly gave me his number and said "you phone me any time you need anything, just give me a list and I'll drive it right to your door, no extra charge".

Like, just even a slight injury to a guy that honestly wasn't there all that much and he immediately wanted to help out in any way he could.

Just one of those guys.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #23
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Can't really encourage fighting back, as it could turn out horribly (good thing he is a large dude), but that video was all kinds of awesome. I particularly enjoyed the tossing of windshield wiper fluid containers. Hilarious.
It really looks like it could be a scene out of the Big Lebowski or something. Damn Nihilists!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Gotta love gun laws in Canada.
Same scene south of the border would have been tragic.

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 08-31-2017 at 02:42 PM.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Gotta love gun laws in Canada.
Same in scene south of the border would have been tragic.
NRA scoffs at your post.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 08-31-2017 at 02:38 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #26
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

The clerk is just really lucky these weren't slightly more hardened or desperate criminals, otherwise he probably would have been quickly dismembered by that axe.

After she is disarmed of the tire iron, what was the woman trying to hit the clerk with at the 1:40 mark? Looks like a big Swedish pump taken from the clerks top shelf.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #27
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is it true the police took upwards of fifteen minutes to respond to an armed robbery?!
No, it's not.

From the Herald article that was a followup to their original piece, they noted that the clerk was on the phone with a friend/fellow clerk next door when the incident happened. That clerk/friend phoned 911 as he was heading over (he can be seen through the window of the store around the 05:01 mark.

Through various comments in social media, Cst Jeremy Shaw clarified that CPS response time was just under 4 minutes from after the 911 call was placed. That would put them there around the 05:05 or 05:06 mark.

In the video itself, it goes until around 05:03:45 then it jump-cuts to 05:14. After that jump-cut, the police SUV is in the picture. It's not moving, it's not just arriving, we can't see anyone in it or getting out of it, and it continues to sit there until the video ends. If it was just arriving, as people say, folks would have seen an officer getting out. Also, since police still can't teleport, if the police were "just arriving" on the video, as some claim, the vehicle would have been in motion instead of appearing stationary and staying stationary.

Cst Shaw also goes on to say that by the time the video jump cuts to, the male was actually already caught and in custody. The woman was caught a few hours later.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 08-31-2017 at 03:03 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Also, to add to the awesomeness of this clerk, I was a semi-weekly customer (few times a month) and came in hobbling on an injured leg a couple years ago. He exuberantly gave me his number and said "you phone me any time you need anything, just give me a list and I'll drive it right to your door, no extra charge".

Like, just even a slight injury to a guy that honestly wasn't there all that much and he immediately wanted to help out in any way he could.

Just one of those guys.
They're actually a really good bunch over there, the owner is a super nice guy who talks to everyone that makes the time to talk to him.

There are two other clerks over there as well that work during the day.

Its a really well run store, its a little more expensive then the mac's a block away, but I don't mind spending it on that store.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think fighting back is smart in a situation like this.

If you are being victimized and just complying with your attackers, I would think there would be harmful feelings of helplessness and vulnerability going forward in your life. By fighting back - and ultimately winning - your long-term mental health may benefit. That has value that is worth the risk IMO.

He took control of the situation - it's very admirable. To call him stupid is ridiculous. That was bravery, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Personally, I don't know if I'd have the balls to fight back, but I think I'd be better for it if I did.
I kind of agree, complying is no guarantee that nothing worse is going to happen to you.

For all he knows he lies on the floor like they tell him and the girl buries an axe in the back of his head.

Its a hard decision, but you just don't know anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
You realize you missed your opportunity to rush out and be the hero. Then you could have written the story here on CP, embellishing of course, putting use your good story writing abilities often put to use in the wrestling thread. For shame, Captain. For shame.
Nah, I would have probably played it cool if that happened.

Like, I totally saved this guy during an armed robbery, no big deal.

Besides, I think my fiction so to speak rubs people the wrong way.