Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Viral robbery video (Calgary)

This is all over social media & the news, was not sure if it was captured on CP or not, if it has my apologies. In case you missed it check out below:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/08/30...les-on-thieves
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gildo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Brave guys. Makes sense to lock the thieves in the store if possible, buys a whole bunch of time. Also looked like the thieves didn't want to seriously swing the axe at somebody, that would escalate the situation immensely. However I am sure Ms. Thief is going to get an assault charge with that tire iron.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
smithtofuhr86
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They got quite greedy once the clerk left from behind the counter, at one point it looked like the guy was trying to fill a blue Rubbermaid container with stuff. Good on the clerk to fight back and expose that POS by taking off his mask. Crazy.
smithtofuhr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

The one idiot wearing his company coveralls to a robbery.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome video, but I can't help think the smartest move is to just give the losers what they want and let them go on their way. Surely insurance would cover the loss of cigarettes and police can catch them in the future. I get why the clerk fought back and did all that but I don't think I'd be willing to risk myself like that.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Potentially lose your life over cigarettes and zippos. I don't know why this guys is being called brave. He didn't even own the store. Complete idiot.

You'd think convenience store clerks would have learned after that poor woman was ran over for $20 bucks in gas. It's just not worth it.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

It looked like he was fine with getting robbed until they got in his face with the weapon, then he decided he didn't like it and opened the whup.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's an entertaining video, but I think this kind of bravado doesn't always end well as we can see from other recent news events. Imagine if that guy raged out after getting hit by the jug of windshield wiper fluid and took a harder swing with the pick axe getting out.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do I get the feeling this is all part of some really bad elaborate scam? They look like they are barely hitting each other. I'm not sure the end goal in it, but it just doesn't look above board, unless they are all just really really bad at life.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

According to this article, the clerk tried to just comply, but the one robber started attacking him. Can't blame him for defending himself. Also, the two robbers were arrested.

Quote:
“They told me, ‘get down! Get down!’ ” he said, speaking to Postmedia from behind the counter he’s manned for a number of years.
As the pair went behind the counter — one of them brandishing a small hatchet — to stuff their bags with cigarettes, fighting with the robbers never crossed his mind.
“I said to him, anything he wants, he can take it,” Ahmed said.
“But he pushed me, and then he started fighting me.”
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Potentially lose your life over cigarettes and zippos. I don't know why this guys is being called brave. He didn't even own the store. Complete idiot.

You'd think convenience store clerks would have learned after that poor woman was ran over for $20 bucks in gas. It's just not worth it.
And his actions lead directly to the windows being smashed, the Zippo display crashing and a lot of merchandise being broken.

He was able to hold the guy until the police got there, so I guess that's good and maybe where the end justifies the mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why do I get the feeling this is all part of some really bad elaborate scam? They look like they are barely hitting each other. I'm not sure the end goal in it, but it just doesn't look above board, unless they are all just really really bad at life.
There's a far different mindset required between threatening someone with a weapon and actually using a weapon. These people probably weren't expecting any fight back, and the woman definitely did not seem to be astute. Probably just some junkie looking for some quick cash. And not to be sexist (especially as the guy was no better) but the woman swung like a girl...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
According to this article, the clerk tried to just comply, but the one robber started attacking him.
Well not really. In the other stories, as alluded to in this one, the robber wanted him on the ground. The clerk, possibly smartly, refused to get on the ground. So I wouldn't say he complied, not that I blame him.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can we talk about the music that the video is set to?
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Holy Crap that's the store right across the street from my house. The owner is a very friendly guy, and the night guy is a good guy as well.

Glad noone was hurt.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Ignorant comment.

He was cornered, first of all. Some people's flight or fight response is different than yours. When he saw the weapons, maybe he automatically responded by fighting, without even thinking.

After he had a chance to get out, he did.

Barricading the doors to assist in the capture of dangerous robbers is debatable, but calling the guy a complete idiot is ignorant.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think fighting back is smart in a situation like this.

If you are being victimized and just complying with your attackers, I would think there would be harmful feelings of helplessness and vulnerability going forward in your life. By fighting back - and ultimately winning - your long-term mental health may benefit. That has value that is worth the risk IMO.

He took control of the situation - it's very admirable. To call him stupid is ridiculous. That was bravery, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Personally, I don't know if I'd have the balls to fight back, but I think I'd be better for it if I did.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #17
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who wears flip flops to a robbery?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can't really encourage fighting back, as it could turn out horribly (good thing he is a large dude), but that video was all kinds of awesome. I particularly enjoyed the tossing of windshield wiper fluid containers. Hilarious.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Holy Crap that's the store right across the street from my house. The owner is a very friendly guy, and the night guy is a good guy as well.

Glad noone was hurt.
You realize you missed your opportunity to rush out and be the hero. Then you could have written the story here on CP, embellishing of course, putting use your good story writing abilities often put to use in the wrestling thread. For shame, Captain. For shame.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think fighting back is smart in a situation like this.

If you are being victimized and just complying with your attackers, I would think there would be harmful feelings of helplessness and vulnerability going forward in your life. By fighting back - and ultimately winning - your long-term mental health may benefit. That has value that is worth the risk IMO.
9/10 times you don't win a fist-fight with an axe-pick wielding man. And even if you do, you're fighting serious injuries. 99/100 times you're also not going up against incompetent dumb and dumber robbers like this either.

In this situation the man was cornered, so that's different than other situations. But if you are seriously suggesting that minimum-wage clerks should be fighting back against weapon wielding lowlifes, I think that tops your list of ridiculous ideas. Especially on the day that Joshua Mitchell was sentenced to 11 years for killing a gas clerk who fought back to.