Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
You can stand in line for a hour or 2 to get an ice cream cone at Made By Marcus on 17th Ave.

It is a hilarious site until you realize you are one of the suckers standing in the same line.

15 minutes later you can give up and try Village Ice Cream in Vic Park. When you see the line is just as bad, spend 5 minutes driving to the Britannia location which will have no line.
The key to Village is to just go and buy a pint. You can bypass the line up. I haven't been to Marcus so do not know if this works there.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harju For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Village Ice Cream lol. I'll never understand inner city people as long as I live. My friends that live inner city made us walk over there after dinner one night. They were talking it up the whole night as the main 'thing' we were going to be doing. Actually got me pretty excited for my mind to be blown.

So we walk there and the line is weirdly huge. I thought they'd abandon the mission but were acting pretty nonchalant and I didn't want to crap all over their plan so into the line we went. It took about half an hour to get our cones.

Believe me when I tell you this. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever that is special about the ice cream there. It's good in the way every good ice cream is good (versus cheap 'frozen dessert' fake ice cream or something) but in no way better than a good tub of actual ice cream from Safeway at 1/20th the cost and 1/100th the hassle.

The people enjoying it were just hipster inner city dorks/nerds. To suggest it as a destination in Calgary is insane. If you happened upon it and there was no line, yeah, get an ice cream there for sure. To make a special trip is bananas.

UCB, if you ever find yourself so bored in life and the only fun thing in all of Calgary you can come up with is to wait in line for a fataing ice cream cone, PM me and I'll give you a list of 300 things that are better. That is just the most brutal suggestion for a fun thing to do in Calgary that I can't even believe somebody typed that with a straight face.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #23
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Since most of the posts involve food, I'll add an obvious one, Popeye's.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone said Proof? Because, Proof.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
What part of town will you be moving to?
Near my work, Seton/Auburn Bay Area.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #26
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Village Ice Cream lol. I'll never understand inner city people as long as I live. My friends that live inner city made us walk over there after dinner one night. They were talking it up the whole night as the main 'thing' we were going to be doing. Actually got me pretty excited for my mind to be blown.

So we walk there and the line is weirdly huge. I thought they'd abandon the mission but were acting pretty nonchalant and I didn't want to crap all over their plan so into the line we went. It took about half an hour to get our cones.

Believe me when I tell you this. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever that is special about the ice cream there. It's good in the way every good ice cream is good (versus cheap 'frozen dessert' fake ice cream or something) but in no way better than a good tub of actual ice cream from Safeway at 1/20th the cost and 1/100th the hassle.

The people enjoying it were just hipster inner city dorks/nerds. To suggest it as a destination in Calgary is insane. If you happened upon it and there was no line, yeah, get an ice cream there for sure. To make a special trip is bananas.

UCB, if you ever find yourself so bored in life and the only fun thing in all of Calgary you can come up with is to wait in line for a fataing ice cream cone, PM me and I'll give you a list of 300 things that are better. That is just the most brutal suggestion for a fun thing to do in Calgary that I can't even believe somebody typed that with a straight face.
It is a little silly to wait in line for ice cream, but if you're out with friends, and it's a nice day, it's not a big deal. And like the poster above you said, just grab a pint and you'll be out of there in seconds. The fact that you can walk there is a bonus. Was your scooter in the shop?

They have flavours you definitely can't get at Safeway. As do Marcus and Scrollio. Try the cardamom, it's delicious.

I live in the inner city because I like walking and unique experiences. I don't see what's wrong with that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #27
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

If you put Village ice cream beside his lake and he could ride his scooter to it, it would become objectively better
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #28
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It is a little silly to wait in line for ice cream, but if you're out with friends, and it's a nice day, it's not a big deal. And like the poster above you said, just grab a pint and you'll be out of there in seconds. The fact that you can walk there is a bonus. Was your scooter in the shop?

They have flavours you definitely can't get at Safeway. As do Marcus and Scrollio. Try the cardamom, it's delicious.

I live in the inner city because I like walking and unique experiences. I don't see what's wrong with that.
There's nothing unique about that experience. Walking around bums in the inner city to wait in line for an overpriced chunk of frozen sugar-milk is about as banal as life can get.

Cardamom, eh? Really hope you're trolling me and are not actually a real life guy that would polish off his latte while regailing the forum with tales of hipster ice cream flavours.

Last edited by Sliver; 08-27-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Sp
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #29
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Lattes? Get with it. Real hipsters are down with Kombucha and $15 cocktails these days.

Yeah, it sucks that there are homeless people, but they're free entertainment. I've never seen a guy in a sombrero stomping a bag of styrofoam cups in the burbs.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Lattes? Get with it. Real hipsters are down with Kombucha and $15 cocktails these days.

Yeah, it sucks that there are homeless people, but they're free entertainment. I've never seen a guy in a sombrero stomping a bag of styrofoam cups in the burbs.
You got a few hundred bucks and a sombrero? Come on by, we can make this happen.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #31
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Cardamom, eh? Really hope you're trolling me and are not actually a real life guy that would polish off his latte while regailing the forum with tales of hipster ice cream flavours.
LOL... cardamom is not just for novelty. It's entirely believable that people actually like it. Do you even know what it tastes like?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been ruined on ice cream ever since I tried Humphry Slocombe's in San Francisco. The Secret Breakfast (bourbon and cornflakes) is the pretty amazing, as is Jesus Juice (red wine and cola). But the Vietnamese Coffee is by far the best.

http://www.humphryslocombe.com/flavors/

I know, I know, this is about Calgary, but it jogged my tasty memory bank and I had to share.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #33
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'll never understand inner city people as long as I live.
I submit to you Regrub. Pricing aside.

"You can't sit there"

"You can't stand there:

"We're out of that"

Serve 1 table every 8 minutes

Unseasoned blob of of greasy ground beef that can't even hold the basic form of a burger.

But they put a stale brownie on top of your watered down milk shake, and have a mustache drawn of the glass.

I hear allot of people bashing the suburban lifestyle, but on a nice day I really don't mind doing a bit of yardwork, making myself a great burger for $5 or $6, having a beer with the neighbor.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you in Seton you can support the one non chain restaurant in the south.

Starbelly is pretty good by the new Hospital.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #35
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably the biggest change in the city, physically, is the development of St. Patrick's Island and Riverwalk. Definitely worth a stroll on a nice afternoon.

Oh, and Village's cardamon ice cream is tasty. But it's dumb to wait in line 20 minutes for it. Just go to the Britannia location.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 08-28-2017 at 07:42 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #36
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're about to live in one of the biggest changes to the city. The amount of new city in the south still blows me away.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #37
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Village ice cream is legitimately delicious. It's one of the places I miss about Calgary. The cardamom one is the best, but most of the other flavours are also good. If you can't wait 30 minutes at the downtown location, just hit up the Brittania or Marda Loop location.

And no, it's about as similar to Safeway Icecream as the Calgary Flames are to a Beer league division 8 team.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Near my work, Seton/Auburn Bay Area.
They just opened a Canadian Brewhouse in Mahogany. Nothing too fancy, but if I were to design a pub, that's exactly how I would build it. TVs everywhere, good pub food and good beer selection. Can't go wrong.

Usually packed with people too, so good atmosphere.

If you are moving to Mahogany, the lake access and beach club is a nice luxury. Skating, swimming, fishing, walking, playgrounds, etc.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #39
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can probably rent a few floors of office space downtown for free. Start up a street hockey league. Or live there.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #40
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicken on the Way has some very nice chicken.