Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #21
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I deserved to be fired as a young engineer. It took me quite a while to grow up and work hard. Years later I fired an EIT, and he wasn't quite as useless as I was when I was younger. I don't feel bad about too many of my firings, but I did feel bad about that one for a long time.

The guy I fired for sexual harassment wasn't nearly as difficult.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:23 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprisingly enough....no.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #23
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're probably one guy who can say your life could have been a whole lot easier if you were fired.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #24
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I have been fired from a bunch of really crappy companies.few of those companies went out of business shortly after leaving

Last edited by Violator; 01-25-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
You're probably one guy who can say your life could have been a whole lot easier if you were fired.
No kidding, that would have been nice.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #26
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

The parents were adamant that I needed a job after High School so I accepted a position as Assistant Manager at the K-Mart shoe department in NE Calgary.

I lasted about 4 months. The boss told me my heart just wasn't in it and he had to let me go. He was right.

I proudly moved on to cleaning toilets in the Saddledome during games and concerts.

True story.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #27
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was in high school working at Astral Photo, when film was still a thing. I was a great employee, responsible, worked hard, got along with everyone in the store. I was in the back room on the phone (when they still had cords) to my girlfriend for a couple of minutes when the regional manager walked in by surprise and saw me sitting there talking.

A couple of weeks the later the store manager is all bummed out and tells me he has to fire me. He's been trying not to but the regional manager has finally told him either he fires me or he's gone too. So he's sorry, but he has to.

Friggen sucked, and was a blow to my ego. Went down the mall to Black's photo and applied, and my store manager gave me the best reference ever.

I hope that regional manager had a miserable lonely life.

It's pretty funny in hindsight, but taught me that life isn't fair. If you work hard, do good work, and treat people right things will usually work out well for you. But sometimes you'll still get screwed.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 01-25-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #28
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I never have been fired, but I did fire a guy for drunk driving with a company truck.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #29
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once worked a job in University that I gradually took fewer and fewer shifts at until at one point I hadnt worked a shift in 3 years and then one day they called me up and asked me to work.

So I did. For a few months.

That was like 8 years ago. I might actually still technically be employed there.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 11:37 PM   #30
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got fired as the Mmmmuffin muffin guy because they caught me j-walking across Macleod trail in my muffin suit.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 01-26-2017 at 10:53 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #31
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I got fired as the Mmmmuffin muffin guy because they caught me j-walking across Macleod trail in my muffin suite.

There's a joke in here somewhere, just can't seem to find it. It's getting late.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #32
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only job I've ever been fired from was a job I had in university. So story time.

I used to work at the Quality Inn on McKnight and Edmonton Trail. The owners of that place always skimped out on maintenance and repairs, so as a result, we used to have a lot of water leak problems. On top of that, guy was an egomaniac who always tried to give his staff life lessons on how he was such a successful businessman, how to run a business properly, etc. Guy was a meddler and always will make sure you know he's the boss.

I worked there during my university days as an evening manager on the weekends. The job was really just monitoring the hotel, the restaurant, the shady bar, and the shady liquor store. I would call the maintenance guy on duty if there were any problems.

So one night during a full house, I had one room on the top floor get a crazy leak, and as a result, the water wrecked about 5 or 6 rooms. I was scrambling to get everything under control. The guests were pissed that there were no other rooms I could move them to, I basically had to cancel reservations and prayed the late guys didn't show up. Meanwhile, it was just complaint after complaint about how crappy their experience was.

So about an hour into it, and me still in the middle of trying to fix everything, owner calls the front desk, and he demands to talk to me. He's angry at me for not calling him right away, to which I sarcastically replied "what good would calling you do? Are you going to come and solve this issue for me?".

Guy then loses it and starts yelling at me, and saying he demands to be respected, and blah blah blah. At that point, I was already pissed off as is, so I laughed in his face, and basically just told him to go eff himself.

Guy fired me on the spot, which at that point, I was kind of happy, as it was such a gong show. I felt bad for the front desk staff, but I just basically walked out of there.

In hindsight, that was actually the best thing that happened to me, as it motivated me to find another job, which was way better than what I had been doing there.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #33
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

In high school I got fired from IGA for stealing a Cadbury Easter egg haha. Worst part is I didn't even actually steal it, it was a big misunderstanding. But it's prob not worth the typing on here to explain it.

EDIT: The more interesting part of that work day was just hours before getting canned, I helped ring through DJ Tanner aka Candice Cameron's groceries. That's back when her husband Val Bure played for the Flames. Sadly for me when I got the axe later that day, there was no "acoustic guitar" Full House-esque moment of understanding..

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-26-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #34
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saddledome. I used my position to meet a player and got caught.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Chi Chis Mexican Ristorante dismissed me from my dishwasher position for eating the tortilla chips.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #36
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Chi Chis Mexican Ristorante dismissed me from my dishwasher position for eating the tortilla chips.
Yooouuuu! When I was eleven I barfed taco's for days because of you! Your culture of bad dish washing brought down an empire. I just hope you've dedicated your life to something positive since then.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #37
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sure have! Working at Canada Olympic Park right after high school. I was working in Operations. For about a month straight I was assigned to count traffic at the very top of the hill at the Old Banff Coach Road access by the ski jump. It was great for a while because maybe 2 cars would come in an hour if I was lucky. So I would play on my Gameboy for hours on end. But it eventually got so boring that I couldn't even do that, so I dozed off. Got caught by my supervisor sleeping. Following day I tried to stay up again but dozed off again and got caught again.

Got my sleeping ass fired, with no one to blame but myself lol. Life lessons.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

been fired a few times, mostly for not being a "good fit". The last time I got fired I fought back and came out the better for it:

I was working two part-time jobs for the same company (two locations), and the one place was managed by a micro-managing, condescending harpy. After about five months I knew it was gonna end, and I was convinced when I went in to work and she's left a letter on the office desk asking another staff member if she wanted my shifts. Well, next day I got the summons to come see her and find another supervisor with her in the office. She gives me the letter of termination (it didn't affect my employment at the other place), and I hold nothing back on what I think - tell her pretty well everything I think about her "management" style and how she's ultimately dangerous to others (citing the last month's incident) and telling her that I'd found the letter she left in plain sight.

Right after I get home from this, I go home and write a letter to the local VP of the company to tell him my side of the story, and I point out the letter, her safety gaffes and a few other choice bits, and also point out that for a long-term employee of this company (5 years at this point) I deserved more notice and that she broke labour law by axing me without notice (I did a quick search on Alberta law; I was probably off on that point, but it worked), and if they were going to treat a long-time employee that poorly maybe I was better off looking for a new job. Two days later he comes to see me at my other job, and I end up getting a full month's severance pay from the other job, more hours at the job I still had, and the harpy manager who fired me got called on the carpet for her lack of skills. One year later I got promoted and she was no longer working there.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yooouuuu! When I was eleven I barfed taco's for days because of you! Your culture of bad dish washing brought down an empire. I just hope you've dedicated your life to something positive since then.
Ehrm....hes a Lawyer...

Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ehrm....hes a Lawyer...
so.....no....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post