Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #721
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In Saskatoon it was common for the Police to drop off Natives outside the city and let them walk back. Sometimes without shoes in winter. At least two people were killed this way.
Starlight Tours

Quote:
SASKATOON – Addison Herman, a Vancouver Island University student from Saskatoon, was asked to do a report on the government’s treatment of aboriginals for class; and what he found out stirred a little bit of controversy.

“I followed a bunch of articles related to what we were covering – government treatment of aboriginals – to get a general background sense of other things going on at the time,” says Herman.

“Through this I stumbled upon the SPS [Saskatoon Police Service] article and the changes that were made, which led me to find out it was their office that made the changes.”
http://globalnews.ca/news/2614134/st...katoon-police/
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #722
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That is some good detective work.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #723
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

ASIRT justifies the actions of CPS shooting of male in a wheel chair from Jan 2016:

https://solgps.alberta.ca/asirt/medi...ages/News.aspx

I remember this had a lot of play in the media and comments sections from people complaining about how could police shoot a man in a wheel chair but the release from ASIRT really does a great job of explaining the reasoning and justification. Strong support from ASIRT in this matter
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:58 AM   #724
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another officer under investigation and charged for driving an impaired friend home after getting a call about a woman asleep at the wheel. He canceled the impaired call and made up a story.

Also was charged for an off duty assault incident and is currently suspended for that incident.

"Old boys club" indeed.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/cal...home-1.3558590
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #725
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Another officer under investigation and charged for driving an impaired friend home after getting a call about a woman asleep at the wheel. He canceled the impaired call and made up a story.

Also was charged for an off duty assault incident and is currently suspended for that incident.

"Old boys club" indeed.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/cal...home-1.3558590
I have to say I don't understand the "Old boys club" reference here at all. From the story (which I had previously posted about this incident so this is not yet another officer being charged just to be clear):

Quote:
In November 2016, the CPS anti-corruption unit received information regarding the officer’s alleged actions and an investigation was conducted.
As a result of the investigation, Mark McCullough, 44, has been charged with breach of trust and obstruction of justice.
If this case was demonstrative of an 'old boys club' wouldn't the force have buried the report that came to them a year after it happened in order to protect the officer?

I have little problem saying that police officers being charged with criminal offences on a regular basis is seriously concerning, but is it not at least some indication there is not an 'old boys club' operating to cover up wrongdoing?

Maybe I am missing something. What about this story led to that comment?
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #726
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 Calgary police officers charged with kidnapping, 2 with assault

http://globalnews.ca/news/3707861/3-...edium=Facebook
Old 08-31-2017, 01:37 AM   #727
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
3 Calgary police officers charged with kidnapping, 2 with assault

http://globalnews.ca/news/3707861/3-...edium=Facebook
Bizarre story, cops pick up a guy they think is involved what sounds like (underage prostitution or at least sexual assault to a minor?) drive him around for 20 minutes and maybe make it a little rough to lie. months later the guy dies from a unrelated medical problem without ever filing a complaint and 7 years later they're charged with a 20 minute kidnapping and assault?

So far these charges sound ridiculous
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #728
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea that's an odd story. And the 4th officers who reported it has now retired.

I'm sure something fishy went down in that van for the 4th guy to report it. But overall that story is pretty sketchy. My armchair lawyer abilities tell me that there's no way 3 police officers are found guilty of kidnapping and are sentenced to multiple years in a federal prison.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #729
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've seen two brand new CPS vehicles over the last few days, a car and an SUV that are blue and white? Has the voice of the masses been heard or are these special use vehicles?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:57 AM   #730
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

will be interesting to see what happens to the officers in this bizxzare case where it appears they had the right intention; however, what they did is likely not on the lsit of approved tactics.

saw don colemen on the news yesterday indicating that the officers seem to be exemplary, and they have the full support of the CPS. Hard to imagine coleman saying this if they expected this to get real messy
Old 08-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #731
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So I've seen two brand new CPS vehicles over the last few days, a car and an SUV that are blue and white? Has the voice of the masses been heard or are these special use vehicles?
That would be fantastic.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #732
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
will be interesting to see what happens to the officers in this bizxzare case where it appears they had the right intention; however, what they did is likely not on the lsit of approved tactics.

saw don colemen on the news yesterday indicating that the officers seem to be exemplary, and they have the full support of the CPS. Hard to imagine coleman saying this if they expected this to get real messy
Isn't this said about every Calgary cop that gets in trouble?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #733
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Guess I'm in the minority, I very much prefer the black and white over the blue and white.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #734
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Guess I'm in the minority, I very much prefer the black and white over the blue and white.
Nope you are not.

I see nothing wrong with the change, and view a sudden change back as a waste of $.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #735
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Isn't this said about every Calgary cop that gets in trouble?

I thought he was going a little further than usual, but I could be wrong
Old 09-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #736
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service

*BUMP*

Just wanted to give a shout out to the CP, RCMP and all law enforcement involved in the high speed chase on QE2 this afternoon.

I watched this all happen in my review mirror as the traffic was clear behind me. The police blocked off the suspects car at the perfect time and pulled a perfect PIT maneuver. It was very impressive as soon as the got the suspect in the ditch without flipping they closed every inch around him so he couldn't escape again. Good thing as traffic was getting thick again just after cross iron because of a tow truck. I don't know much about actual tactics but to my untrained eye everything from the timing and technique seemed on point.

http://www.660news.com/2017/09/30/po...north-calgary/
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #737
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...thwest-calgary

Quote:
A woman was shot and killed by a Calgary police officer in the city’s Sunalta neighbourhood early Tuesday morning.

Sources told Postmedia a junior female officer opened fire on a woman who was acting aggressively and erratically with one or more knives on her.
Story contains a big of an overview of the shootings this year, which it says is nine times, this morning makes 10.
ASIRT releases its findings on this case and its particulars

https://solgps.alberta.ca/asirt/medi...20shooting.pdf
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #738
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one just sucks...

https://globalnews.ca/video/4406282/...on-with-autism

Telling the parents who just watched their boy got body slammed while in handcuffs that he fell is quite sickening. Hoping for charges, convictions and payouts if guilty.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #739
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This one just sucks...

https://globalnews.ca/video/4406282/...on-with-autism

Telling the parents who just watched their boy got body slammed while in handcuffs that he fell is quite sickening. Hoping for charges, convictions and payouts if guilty.
This is just awful, if true. (And I don't have any reason to think it isn't.)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #740
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, gotta wait for the ASIRT investigation on this one. We have one incredibly biased side of the story to go on and nothing else. And because of the ASIRT investigation, the police probably can’t release a statement of their account yet.

If he was enough of a risk/combative enough that the parents decided police involvement was needed, I seriously doubt that the cop decided to slam the kid on the ground just because he got called a bastard once.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 08-24-2018 at 08:47 AM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote