Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #201
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I like Quarriors! (that will be the last time I ever spell it with the exclamation point). It is one of the first decent games to jump on the deck building thing since Dominion came out. Sometimes the gameplay is a bit formulaic so I don't think I'll buy it, but I recommend every gamer try it.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #202
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I like Quarriors! (that will be the last time I ever spell it with the exclamation point). It is one of the first decent games to jump on the deck building thing since Dominion came out. Sometimes the gameplay is a bit formulaic so I don't think I'll buy it, but I recommend every gamer try it.
Everyone is saying the new variant rules (can buy more than one die, and you have to cull creatures you score) make a good game great.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #203
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
Ae you thinking of Shadows over Camelot?

Yes. You are correct.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #204
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
Yes. You are correct.

Love that game. It's so much fun, especially when you have to make a somewhat questionable move and everyone automatically assumes you are the traitor. We played this somewhat drunk one time and it was probably the most entertaining boardgame I have ever played.

Have you played the expansion of it? They add another traitor to the loyalty cards, so it is possible to actually get two traitors in one game. So terrifying.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #205
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As far as co-op games go, the best co-op games are the ones with a secret "mole." I think there's a Game of Thrones themed game that falls into that category and a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.
Shadows Over Camelot that might be. It's an okay game, haven't played much of it though.

My favourite in that category by far is Betrayal at House on the Hill. It could have used another round of playtesting to shake out a few bugs, but other than that it's great fun. It's a horror game where you don't know the "plot" (or what the horror in the house is) in the beginning, but rather it's revealed at some point, at which point one player is picked to turn against the others.

Arkham Horror is another very popular co-op game in my circles. I've never played it myself. It's a very long game.

There's also a well-known Lord of the Rings co-op game by Reiner Knizia. I didn't like it when I tried it once, but apparently some people do.

Last edited by Itse; 05-28-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #206
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I can't sleep, I'll teach you one of my favourite casual games. All you need to play is something you can write small lists with, like pen and paper for each player. Smartphones would be fine too if people are fast typers.

It's called "What were you thinking" because you could buy a game with that name that teaches you the same basic mechanics. However that game also has a bunch of stupid cards and limitations that make the game worse, so don't buy it, you don't need it.

You just need to know the rules, which are as follows:

- You need at least four players. The more the better. This fits over ten players easy. Each player needs something to write small lists on.

- Each round one player comes up with things to list along with any additional rules for that round he wants to set. Anything at all can be used, creativity is a bonus but not required. For example it can be "three ways to die", "five things that cost less than a dollar", "four bands", "four horrible pop songs", "five celebrities you would like to sleep with", "three scifi movies that are not Star Wars or Star Trek movies", "two people that would get shot at the start of the revolution"... Anything. Depending on the company you can have a theme, be kid-friendly or adult only, philosophical, political, what ever.

- Every player makes a list with items he thinks the other players will list. The spelling is not important, only that he makes a note which makes it reasonably clear what he means. Abbreviations are fine. Speed is important. Overthinkers lose. This is essentially an association game.

- Every item scores as many points as the times it appears. So for example if three players have Bladerunner, they each score three points for that movie. Yes, you count yourself, so even if you were the only one to mention "Gone With the Wind", you get a point for that. (This encourages people to fill their lists completely.) Obviously if everyone has the same item you can just ignore it, it doesn't affect the scoring.

- This is not a quiz, so it doesn't matter if the items on the list actually match the question. So Darth Vader can be a celebrity, Bob Dylan can be a band and "lager, beer, bitter, stout" is just fine as a list of coctails. The only hard rules are that you can't list the same thing many times and you can't list more things than asked for.

- Meaning is important, what the list says is not as important. So for example "the guy who played Batman" is propably the same as "Christian Bale".

- You go through every players list to see what everyone had, score every item and then each player sums up his points for that round. The player with the least total points gets a "you're different" point. You try to avoid these, so don't be unique. We tend to call them "terrorist points" These are the only points that you keep track of over the whole game. The points for each individual round are ignored after the round is over.

- Then it's the next players turn to come up with something for the next round.

- You play as many rounds as you like. In the end the one who has the most terrorist points is outed to the secret police. Alternatively you can just shake your heads and say "what were you thinking!?!" (This is more common.) There is no winner.

- This game requires good faith and sporting spirit. The game will suck if the players start arguing for every point or if there's need to actually check what people wrote. (You do need to make the lists however, otherwise people will forget their lists and cheat accidentally.)

- There are often hazy areas as to which count as same things and which count as different. A quick vote and some common sense have so far settled every situation we've had.

Last edited by Itse; 05-28-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #207
BCGirl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Not really into board games anymore, more in card games. But growing up Monopoly was a good staple as well as played Settlers, scrabble, Life (back when it realistic apparently), and also snakes and ladders!
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #208
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
My favourite in that category by far is Betrayal at House on the Hill. It could have used another round of playtesting to shake out a few bugs, but other than that it's great fun. It's a horror game where you don't know the "plot" (or what the horror in the house is) in the beginning, but rather it's revealed at some point, at which point one player is picked to turn against the others.

That's a surprisingly fun game. Lots of replay value since the scenario changes from game to game.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #209
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Back to Pandemic.

who has played the On the Brink expansion? What did you think?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #210
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Back to Pandemic.

who has played the On the Brink expansion? What did you think?
I wanted to buy it a couple of years ago, it went out of print. Now it is back apparently. It gives you smaller player tokens, and does it not refine and add some occupations (ie fix the engineer)?

Edit: forgot about the Petri dishes for cubes!

Last edited by Finny61; 05-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #211
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #212
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a chance to play the second edition of the Game of Thrones board game this past weekend.

It's an epic game but runs the risk of dragging on if people don't stay on task. Serious gamers will enjoy it quite a bit... casual gamers probably not so much.

That being said, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #213
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Had a chance to play the second edition of the Game of Thrones board game this past weekend.

It's an epic game but runs the risk of dragging on if people don't stay on task. Serious gamers will enjoy it quite a bit... casual gamers probably not so much.

I have started to play to play a few weeks ago as well. I agree with what you say but I feel their is some imbalances in the families when you play a 4 (and 5 player game to some extent). The Baratheons seem to have a easier time of it in a short-handed game. IMO, it's too easy for them to obtain the neutral forces in the south.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #214
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It's a good game - we've modified the rules a bit to balance the houses out a bit. I know some people play with a 'hostage' variant too where if you lose a battle the losing card you played is held hostage unless you pay the two power point ransom.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #215
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I have started to play to play a few weeks ago as well. I agree with what you say but I feel their is some imbalances in the families when you play a 4 (and 5 player game to some extent). The Baratheons seem to have a easier time of it in a short-handed game. IMO, it's too easy for them to obtain the neutral forces in the south.
We have a rule where the person has to draw one of those random +STR cards in order to capture the neutral castle. It adds an element of risk not to mention fun when someone flips over the +3/skull combo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #216
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
We have a rule where the person has to draw one of those random +STR cards in order to capture the neutral castle. It adds an element of risk not to mention fun when someone flips over the +3/skull combo.

If we play a 4/5 player game, I'll mention this house rule!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #217
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been playing some Red November of late. It's a good game for 4 people, pretty quick, and generally amusing.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #218
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played a game called Eclipse last week. Looked extremely complicated but turned out to be a really nice game.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #219
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Been playing some Red November of late. It's a good game for 4 people, pretty quick, and generally amusing.
I prefer to play Red November with the variant rules where you can kill your shipmates with a crowbar before you reach the end. Have you tried that? It makes the end of the game MUCH more exciting if other players are hiding items.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #220
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Played a game called Eclipse last week. Looked extremely complicated but turned out to be a really nice game.
I have been drooling over eclipse for months but I had to slurp all the drool back into my mouth when I saw that it retails for over $100.