Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #21
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, I just checked and movie network has them on early as well
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm now halfway done season 2. I'm actually mad at myself for not watching Twin Peaks sooner. Easily in my top 10 shows ever. I absolutely love all the characters and all of the changes in tone from horror/thriller elements to zany comedy to soap opera melodrama and twists. All of the characters are written really well.

The trio of Lara Flynn Boyle, Madchen Amick and Sherilyn Fenn is hard to beat as far as gorgeous leading ladies goes.

I'm gonna power through the rest of season two, watch the prequel and then pick up the revival soon as I'm done.

The debate surrounding should/shouldn't they have revealed Laura Palmer's killer is interesting and I won't go into much detail here, other than to say that I was a bit disappointed when it first happened, because how could it not feel like a letdown after all the buildup and mystery, but now that I'm a couple of episodes past, I don't really care because the show is so enthralling.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm now halfway done season 2. I'm actually mad at myself for not watching Twin Peaks sooner. Easily in my top 10 shows ever. I absolutely love all the characters and all of the changes in tone from horror/thriller elements to zany comedy to soap opera melodrama and twists. All of the characters are written really well.

The trio of Lara Flynn Boyle, Madchen Amick and Sherilyn Fenn is hard to beat as far as gorgeous leading ladies goes.

I'm gonna power through the rest of season two, watch the prequel and then pick up the revival soon as I'm done.

The debate surrounding should/shouldn't they have revealed Laura Palmer's killer is interesting and I won't go into much detail here, other than to say that I was a bit disappointed when it first happened, because how could it not feel like a letdown after all the buildup and mystery, but now that I'm a couple of episodes past, I don't really care because the show is so enthralling.
Indeed. Yes that may have been the reason why it got cancelled.. there was such a high with the mystery that afterwards it took a bit for the show to pick up again and move onto other plots.

With the new season, it's super well done and Lynch is using his artistic license to the extreme. Kyle Maclachlan is doing an unbelievable job so far. It's unlike any other show for sure. But it almost forces you to finish off the original, because as a seasoned vet of Twin Peaks my head is absolutely spinning with the new episodes

It's terrific though.. hands down the best thing since sliced bread. When it originally got cancelled, Lynch still had these new episodes in mind, so that's what's keeping it so (or at least somewhat by Lynch standards) cohesive and enthralling.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #24
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What do you mean by watch the 'prequel'? My advice is do not watch 'fire walk with me'. That's the worst thing that ever happened to the show.. just a warning.
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the reboot but man they have really upped the weirdness level.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #26
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wouldn't come off as that weird if you've seen Inland Empire, which the return definitely feels like so far.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #27
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
What do you mean by watch the 'prequel'? My advice is do not watch 'fire walk with me'. That's the worst thing that ever happened to the show.. just a warning.

So after watching first four episodes, I would highly recommend watching the prequel. There is quite a few references to it.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I thought episode 4 was the strongest by far. Closest in tone to the original with the humour. Was not a fan of the multiple 10-15 minute long visually cool but otherwise nonsensical sequences from previous episodes. One of my favourite parts about Twin Peaks is it was weird but almost always relied on the characters to achieve that and avoided the dialogue light but visual heavy mind ####ery that Lynch is known for. Kind of hard to explain I guess because there was no shortage of weirdness in the original. Just how it was presented was never off putting to me and I definitely found myself getting bored with some of those long sequences in the new episodes that were hard to follow and had little to no dialogue. They just don't do much for me. I prefer when that sort of stuff was used sparingly and I thought episodes 2/3 seemed to rely on them way too much.

Having the show run until September is cool. Rare to get 18 new episodes nowadays. I read Lynch, and I presume Frost, wrote one big long script, filmed it and then just cut it into episodes.

Edit: my memory was off as I watched the episodes in quick succession. Episode 4 started with a big long mind #### sequence too. Either way, it was great.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-31-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #29
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
So after watching first four episodes, I would highly recommend watching the prequel. There is quite a few references to it.
I guess this is true if you don't want to watch the original seasons. I thought it was terrible though, and so did kyle maclachlan. Instead of it being a mystery they just spell it all out for you
Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 PM   #30
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is watching the original required for this? I only made it about 3/4 through season one years ago.
Quote:
I guess this is true if you don't want to watch the original seasons. I thought it was terrible though, and so did kyle maclachlan. Instead of it being a mystery they just spell it all out for you

Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #31
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Nope. Gotta watch it all. The new season makes quite a few references to the movie. Agent Jeffries (Bowie), blue rose, and others.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #32
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Far and away my favourite episode of the new season.

Does anyone cast more total knockouts than Lynch? The woman at the insurance company, the FBI agent, Amanda Seyfried. Not to mention Shelly is still a knockout 25 years later.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #33
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Show feels a lot more like Fire Walk With Me than it does like the original series. This isn't a bad thing - in my view, the more Lynch the better.

I was several episodes behind (made a point of watching the original series before diving into the new episodes), and I do get the sense that this is better viewed in blocks (2-3 episodes at a time) than as singular episodes. Watching week to week, it might feel like the story is moving at a crawl. But it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do now, haha.

I'm eagerly awaiting Cooper to become his old self again. Please no more Dougie!
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikePatton For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #34
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have been skimming through this thread to hopefully avoid spoilers. Should I watch the episodes from 1990 first? Or can I hop right into the new ones?
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Have been skimming through this thread to hopefully avoid spoilers. Should I watch the episodes from 1990 first? Or can I hop right into the new ones?
Do you have a lot of time to watch the original seasons? If not read a general synopsis of the original series and then dive in. There will be some things that you will miss by not watching the originals but the show stands up pretty well on it's own. Just keep an open mind because not seeing the original you will find it really weird but it's a really interesting show.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #36
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
The first two seasons are better than the revival. I'd watch both seasons and Fire Walk With Me.

I'm not a fan of the revival's pace. The last ep in particular was almost unwatchable. I'm with Mike, 'wake up!'
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #37
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePatton View Post
Show feels a lot more like Fire Walk With Me than it does like the original series. This isn't a bad thing - in my view, the more Lynch the better.

I was several episodes behind (made a point of watching the original series before diving into the new episodes), and I do get the sense that this is better viewed in blocks (2-3 episodes at a time) than as singular episodes. Watching week to week, it might feel like the story is moving at a crawl. But it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do now, haha.

I'm eagerly awaiting Cooper to become his old self again. Please no more Dougie!
More Jade (much more) and less Dougie.

No mention of Audrey dying in the bank blast (should have scanned Ben's office for clues, was too busy watching), so hoping she'll be back too.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #38
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the show pick up the pace at all in the subsequent episodes? I fell asleep watching the first episode, it was so damn slow. I'll be giving it a pass if the rest of it is the same.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #39
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Does the show pick up the pace at all in the subsequent episodes? I fell asleep watching the first episode, it was so damn slow. I'll be giving it a pass if the rest of it is the same.
Yeah, I'm with you. Fell asleep the last couple of episodes. I'm usually okay with slow storytelling, but the new Dougie stuff is so boring. It just drags and drags.

I love the intro music though.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #40
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It definitely does not pick up the pace. If you found the first one slow, they are all more or less the same pacing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: