Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Junky fitness equipment

I've had a Bowflex for a few years now which has been great but it seems anything else I buy turns out to be garbage.

I bought a $1000 elliptical a few years ago (don't remember the brand) which was fixed twice in a year. The first time the computer broke, the second time the motor went.

A few months ago I bought a Schwinn Journey 4.5 eliptical. It was $1000 and in less than 3 months the bearings went in one of the rollers and a weld on the frame broke. Apparently Sears is likely going to write it off and give my money back.

So now I'm undecided if I should get another Schwinn or other type of cardio equipment. Treadmills I look at in that range seem to get very mixed reviews. Maybe I should get a stationary bike, or one of those bike trainers to hook my bike to. Are they any good?

Is it possible to get a reliable piece of cardio equipment for $1000 or less?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I bought my treadmill about 8 years ago, I found the reviews at Treadmill Doctor really helpful. These guys fix treadmills, so they get to see which brands tend to break (and why) and which ones seem more robust. They also know which ones cheap out on internal components etc.

I ended up buying one of their recommended treadmills, and it still works pretty much like day one while getting somewhat regular use.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

The very nature of cardio equipment is that when you use them you are grinding it down and wearing it out. I've worn down 4 or 5 ellipticals in the gym and had treadmills break while I am running on them, I'm only 170 lbs but using these things frequently ensures they will break. I would save the money if I were you, everytime I break one of the things in the gym I'm glad I did't spend money on them. I can feel how they slowly wear down, first you'll get little vibrations each rotation, then noises, then loud thuds and grinding noises and eventually it's kaput (that or the handles or computer will break). Just my opinion, buy something else unless you get a treadmill built like a tank. The best treadmills for low impact break the easiest and I've never seen a reasonably priced elliptical that's built to last.

Last edited by AcGold; 01-30-2014 at 05:58 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM   #4
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Get a used concept2 rowing machine, or an airdyne.

Last edited by SeeGeeWhy; 01-30-2014 at 07:31 PM.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Buy a gym pass and a chin up bar
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most home fitness equipment isnt very sturdy and doesnt stand up to a constant pounding. If you have a bigger budget, go for commercial equipment that you could find in a gym. That stuff is far tougher and will last far longer with repeated use.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Get a used concept2 rowing machine,
I've got one of those. Great piece of equipment.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone ever tried the 'insanity' workouts? They look pretty gimmicky but don't require any real equipment (that I know of)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most non comercial cardio fitness equipment is designed to be used for the month of January every year and then used as a clothe rack. Using it outside these parameters leads to overuse and failure.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a Precor elliptical for $2600 and it's still like new after 6 years of use 4 times a week. Free weights and a rack will last a lifetime too.
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AMG_G For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #11
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone ever tried the 'insanity' workouts? They look pretty gimmicky but don't require any real equipment (that I know of)
most of those kinds of work hards are pretty hard on the body, only one I found that is actually good for you is DDP Yoga that doesn't have you jumping around destroying your knees and back
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you ever considered saving all that money and just going outside for a run? I have never understood why somebody needs a machine for cardio, just get an mp3 player, make a setlist of some tunes, and go run for free.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
The very nature of cardio equipment is that when you use them you are grinding it down and wearing it out. I've worn down 4 or 5 ellipticals in the gym and had treadmills break while I am running on them, I'm only 170 lbs but using these things frequently ensures they will break. I would save the money if I were you, everytime I break one of the things in the gym I'm glad I did't spend money on them. I can feel how they slowly wear down, first you'll get little vibrations each rotation, then noises, then loud thuds and grinding noises and eventually it's kaput (that or the handles or computer will break). Just my opinion, buy something else unless you get a treadmill built like a tank. The best treadmills for low impact break the easiest and I've never seen a reasonably priced elliptical that's built to last.
Wtf
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Have you ever considered saving all that money and just going outside for a run? I have never understood why somebody needs a machine for cardio, just get an mp3 player, make a setlist of some tunes, and go run for free.
I thought running would be cheap too... Until I added up the cost of running shoes, knee braces, nipple lube... and then there is all the physio... and time off work required for physio... and since it has been -34 here it is $10/day to use the track.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Get a used concept2 rowing machine, or an airdyne.
The gym I frequent has 10 Concept 2 rowing machines and they get used and abused daily and other than a user related issue which was fixed in about 10 mins I have never seen one actually break down.

The airdyne should be considered a torture device but you can definately tell that your bodys working when you use it.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #16
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can find pretty good condition used commercial treadmills on Kijiji. Check out the best reviewied ones on Treadmill Doctor, then search for those brands on kijiji.

Now or in a few weeks should be prime time for used equipment as all the New Years resolution crowd will be giving up
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #17
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I do insanity at home and it is a really good workout, it's impossible to keep up at first but you still get an awesome workout.
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

as mentioned above, fitness equipment is one of those things in life you need to spend money on in order to get a solid unit that will last.

My wife bought a treadmill a number of years ago at Sears and I think the unit was $1500 ish. With sporadic heavier use the unit has held up thus far.......

I would think that the minum one would need to spend for a piece of cardio equipment is $1500 - if you expect it to last......
Old 01-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Get a used concept2 rowing machine
This x 10000
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #20
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Most non comercial cardio fitness equipment is designed to be used for the month of January every year and then used as a clothe rack. Using it outside these parameters leads to overuse and failure.
My cheap elliptical has lasted for years under these exact conditions.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: