Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
ih8dnucks
Draft Pick

Default Mayoral/Councilor candidates in favour/opposed to CalgaryNEXT

Do we know where the candidates in the upcoming municipal election stand on CalgaryNEXT? If we knew which side they are on, it would definitely influence my vote.
ih8dnucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which CalgaryNEXT? There isn't even really a proposal at this point. If you mean the original one on the west side of downtown, no one is in favour or against that, because it's dead.

There probably will be something coherent put together for Victoria Park but it won't be until December or January I'd bet.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone is against CalgaryNext. It's dead, Jim.

From everything I've seen, they all pretty much say that any public money for a new arena must come with public benefit.

I believe Freeway said he sent a questionnaire to all the candidates and he'd be writing a column about it on Flamesnation in the coming weeks.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I can't say I'm well informed on the issue, but my understanding is that Mayor Nenshi is in favour of an East Village/Victoria Park revitalization plan that includes a new arena for the Flames as a cornerstone, but I don't know the details or if he is on the same page with the Flames in that regard. Maybe Bunk has some insight?
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I can't say I'm well informed on the issue, but my understanding is that Mayor Nenshi is in favour of an East Village/Victoria Park revitalization plan that includes a new arena for the Flames as a cornerstone, but I don't know the details or if he is on the same page with the Flames in that regard. Maybe Bunk has some insight?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
That is correct and he's also in favor of renovating McMahon. IMO sinking $80-100 million into an old concrete slab like McMahon would be a massive waste of money akin to sinking $10k in repairs to a car that's valued at $1k.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That is correct and he's also in favor of renovating McMahon. IMO sinking $80-100 million into an old concrete slab like McMahon would be a massive waste of money akin to sinking $10k in repairs to a car that's valued at $1k.
You got that right. This city needs a new, modern stadium... not lipstick on a pig. McMahon is just f'ing brutal. So is the Saddledome, while we're at it. Both are terrible facilities that need replacing, and very soon.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
ih8dnucks
Draft Pick

I know a lot of people don't want to sit inside to watch a football game, but I'd rather sit inside knowing that I won't be freezing or have rain pouring all over me, also let the players talent dictate the out come on a game rather than the weather. On another note, why not have a facility where it can be used year round rather than only 6 months/weekends in the summer. Putting in 80-100 million into McMahon for the owners (UofC) who I was told charge the Stampeders 60k per game (this was in the late 90's early 2000's) where the city of Edmonton charges the Eskimos $1/year.
ih8dnucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ih8dnucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8dnucks View Post
I know a lot of people don't want to sit inside to watch a football game, but I'd rather sit inside knowing that I won't be freezing or have rain pouring all over me, also let the players talent dictate the out come on a game rather than the weather. On another note, why not have a facility where it can be used year round rather than only 6 months/weekends in the summer. Putting in 80-100 million into McMahon for the owners (UofC) who I was told charge the Stampeders 60k per game (this was in the late 90's early 2000's) where the city of Edmonton charges the Eskimos $1/year.
Do we really need two threads to talk about this crap?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Do we really need two threads to talk about this crap?
I'm not sure but the fact you called it "crap" kind of makes me think we do need the thread.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haven't been following at all... so Nenshi isn't expected to have another (essentially) unopposed victory?
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
There probably will be something coherent put together for Victoria Park but it won't be until December or January I'd bet.
It's funny that after a decade since the first hint at a new arena, the bolded is pretty much all fans are hoping for and expecting from the Flames, at this point.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not sure but the fact you called it "crap" kind of makes me think we do need the thread.
Well, I imagine this thread will go the same way as: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=160050

so why the redundancy?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't believe Nenshi. He says a lot in an election cycle and will go against his word right away and dodge questions for 4 years.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #15
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bill Smith: Now is not the time to talk about ideas

http://www.660news.com/2017/09/11/ne...ipal-election/
Old 09-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I don't believe Nenshi. He says a lot in an election cycle and will go against his word right away and dodge questions for 4 years.
Provide some examples.

This is a mayor who will go against what's popular as long as it's best for the city. He has proven that over and over.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote