Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Buying a new car

I tried to find a similar post, but they were from a few years back.
Would like your opinion on the undercoat, rust, paint, leather protection, and 3M film offered at dealerships when you buy a new car.
Are these things a must, are they a scam, or is it legit but it's best/cheapest to get it done somewhere else?
Thanks
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

scam, its the extended warranty of the automotive world
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would get 3M. Probably not at the dealer though depending on price.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paint and leather protection is a huge waste of money. Rust proofing is a toss up. 3M is pretty useful. For paint protection I would find a shop that does coatings like CQuatrz or similar and pay them to apply a treatment.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks guys.
I was thinking of getting the paint protection and 3M film at an independent shop.
What about the extended warranty (past the normal warranty)?
Old 09-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Extended warranties rarely make sense, unless your particular circumstances make for an exception.

But if you want to take care of the vehicle, and/or are thinking about the resale value, paint protection and a wrap are well worth it IMO. You will probably get more value if you go aftermarket
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the way, I also coated my rims as well, and it makes such a difference with respect to keeping them clean. I have an Audi, so brake dust is a huge issue, and with the coating it is way easier to clean them. Incomparably. It was $250 extra I think, and it was so worth it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I extend my warranty if it is dealer and same coverage. If they extended changes the warranty rules or its a secondary company supplying it I decline.

Paint protection, 3m and rust protection I skip. I used to get 3m but my last few cars have been black and the 3m doesn't give the look i like on black, i didn't mind it on silver or others. I am not against it by any means Its just all personal preference.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Again thanks guys.
Can you recommend places for the 3M film and the paint/rim protection?
Old 09-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #10
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rust Protection ('waxoyl', zeebaet etx) is actually a good idea. Not sure I'd pay to have it done at a dealership, as 3M, Proform, Wurth etc all make aerosol formulas. I personally use Fluid Film, 4$ a can. Pretty much anywhere where two pieces meet (inner quarters, doors etc.) tend to rust from the inside out, and this helps prevent that.
3M paint protection film - excellent idea, just maybe not at a dealer. Most dealers and even some shops use pre cut kits that don't wrap around the edges. Particularly on your hood, the leading edge takes a ton of chips, make sure it's actually covered.

The other paint protection stuff ('diamonkote' etc) are not a good idea. Overpriced paint sealant that actually increases paint deteriation over time. Paint needs to breathe, and these products don't allow that. Waxing twice a year provides better protection and value...and will actually keep your car looking good in 10 years.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #11
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also they always drop the price if you decline the first offer. I think the undercoat makes sense but for $400. Not $750.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
I tried to find a similar post, but they were from a few years back.
Would like your opinion on the undercoat, rust, paint, leather protection, and 3M film offered at dealerships when you buy a new car.
Are these things a must, are they a scam, or is it legit but it's best/cheapest to get it done somewhere else?
Thanks
Ahhh.... The Pro Pack up sell, it is not rally a scam, just expensive. If you don't plan on holding on to the vehicle for any longer then 2-3 years, don't bother getting anything. The "protect your investment line" is garbage. A vehicle is not an investment, you are just putting out more money on a depreciating asset, or worse, financing the protection package over 7 years.

Paint protection and leather protection, you can buy the same products off the shelve and do it your self. I would recommend paint protection on dark coloured vehicles as the biggest benefit is that they (black cars) will come clean easier. If price is not an issue have the dealer look after it, but you can save a few hundred bucks by doing it yourself, same with the interior protection. The rust proofing is a total waste in Alberta given that we do not use near the salt content on the roads many other places do. Also most vehicles do come with a corrosion warranty from factory so ask about that, it often gets skipped over. There is a new product of the market called "Chip" which is a rust inhibitor as well as a vehicle diagnosis tool which the dealers (we) sell. It's kinda neat but horribly over priced.

3m. Don't fall for the "adds value to your vehicle", it will but you spend $800 to add $50 in value 5 years down the road. Rock chips suck however and can happen anytime, anywhere so it is really up to you. Although I've seen dozens of cars where rocks have pounded right through the 3m and left horrible chips.

Undercoating is nice to have as both an added noise barrier and under carriage protectant.

The thing is profits are very slim on the actual vehicles themselves, money is made on the warranties, loan insurances (life, accident, job loss protection etc..) and selling pro packs. Remember it is totally your decision, if you see value in having the added protection to your vehicle then go ahead, it is totally up to you, remember a good deal is a felling and not a number. Would be happy to answer any other questions.

*would not recommend doing any of this if you are leasing, ther are other options available

*prices vary by dealer, our 3m starts at $499 and goes to $799 depending on the vehicle, chrome vs painted bumper etc... I know of one luxury dealer that charges $1795 for the 3m

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 09-10-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I would get 3M. Probably not at the dealer though depending on price.

+1 for this.

The add ons are how the finance guys score commission.
I feel like it's the finance people that help give car sales it's stock reputation.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #14
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Again thanks guys.
Can you recommend places for the 3M film and the paint/rim protection?
I got mine done at Auto Protectors. They did a pretty good job. Call around and get a quote though. Refine Auto Salon is another place that I got a quote from, but they were higher.

I got the Xpel Ultimate film wrap.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #15
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
+1 for this.

The add ons are how the finance guys score commission.
I feel like it's the finance people that help give car sales it's stock reputation.
Agreed. He sounded a little pissed that I told them I'm taking it somewhere else to get mine done which was cheaper and they wrapped more of the car.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #16
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
Agreed. He sounded a little pissed that I told them I'm taking it somewhere else to get mine done which was cheaper and they wrapped more of the car.
I've heard of cases were the finance person working the file has changed following customer's choices regarding the add ons.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote