Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #3601
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
On Day 1 you're claiming perception has turned into reality for a pragmatic economic rebound?
Anecdotal as it is, in my company alone, 11 multi million dollar contracts were on hold until after the election. 2 days later, 9 of them are signed.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #3602
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Yep, let's pretend like the NDP didn't have to deal with 3 years of historically low oil prices...
They didn't. WTI had recovered to a respectable figure for most of their tenure.

WCS was a different story of course, but Notley's government shares blame in that given her general incompetence on how she handled the sector
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #3603
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Anecdotal as it is, in my company alone, 11 multi million dollar contracts were on hold until after the election. 2 days later, 9 of them are signed.
You had contracts dependent on the UCP winning and Jason Kenney becoming Premier? Considering no legislation has been passed yet and anything changed from a policy standpoint, that seems . . . . odd. Unless business was happy to proceed based on speculation?

Definitely curious to know more context around this. Industry, conditions, timing, etc. Appreciate if you can't share that though, but definitive information helps your story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #3604
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still can't fathom how anyone could be the Premier of Alberta and meekly shrug off the deaths of Northern Gateway and Energy East, how you couldn't see those projects as the vital economic infrastructure they were. As hard as she fought for TMX in 2018 giving up on those two further ahead projects was just disgraceful.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #3605
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You had contracts dependent on the UCP winning and Jason Kenney becoming Premier? Considering no legislation has been passed yet and anything changed from a policy standpoint, that seems . . . . odd. Unless business was happy to proceed based on speculation?

Definitely curious to know more context around this. Industry, conditions, timing, etc. Appreciate if you can't share that though, but definitive information helps your story.

Buy the rumor sell the news. Happens all the time everywhere. Trump win...same thing. Brexit...same thing.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #3606
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Buy the rumor sell the news. Happens all the time everywhere. Trump win...same thing. Brexit...same thing.
I don't think I could sign contracts for my business based on speculation with no signed-off policy implementation change. Seems too risky. But that's just me.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #3607
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #3608
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As expected:

Federal Environment Minister vows to impose carbon pricing on Alberta if Kenney scraps provincial levy

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna vowed on Wednesday to impose carbon pricing on Alberta should Jason Kenney’s United Conservatives make good on a campaign pledge to scrap the provincial levy.

“I don’t want to speculate on what’s going to happen, but we’ve been clear that it should not be free to pollute anywhere in the country and we have a backstop should provinces not have a price on pollution,” Ms. McKenna said in a telephone interview from Vancouver.

She said Ottawa hopes to work with Mr. Kenney, although relations between the federal Liberals and conservative governments in other provinces have been antagonistic.

At the end, there is a paragraph about growing environmental concerns around our aging wells:

Mr. Kenney inherits stewardship of an industry that has also struggled with mounting environmental and financial liabilities tied to tens of thousands of aging oil and gas wells and sprawling oil sands tailings pits.

Does Kenney have an overt plan for this?
Ha! Good luck!

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and most of the Maritimes are all going to tell the Liberals that they can take their Carbon Tax and shove it, good luck forcing it on everyone.

Its not like Kenney is some island and the only one opposed to it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #3609
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm enjoying reading the total meltdowns in the CBC comment section. You would think Hitler reincarnate was just elected, and we are marching in on Poland to get a pipeline constructed.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #3610
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and most of the Maritimes are all going to tell the Liberals that they can take their Carbon Tax and shove it, good luck forcing it on everyone.
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and most of the Maritimes are actually fighting for the Liberals to force it on everyone. It's the very argument they are making.

The Federal Government has the ability to tax provinces, this is not up for debate obviously, giving the provinces the ability to set up their own federal tax system is the issue at hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #3611
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ha! Good luck!

Its not like Kenney is some island and the only one opposed to it.

This is going to be a plant federal election issue around tax vs no tax.

Frankly the no carbon tax provincially was a plank of the winning parties. People are going to look at the cost effects of a carbon tax and its going to be bought up by the Conservatives. I guess we'll find out how popular this is and if its a hill that either party is willing to die on.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #3612
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I'm enjoying reading the total meltdowns in the CBC comment section. You would think Hitler reincarnate was just elected, and we are marching in on Poland to get a pipeline constructed.
If they are anything like the conservatives you can enjoy a continuous stream of their salty tears for the next four years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #3613
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hey Rube, just curious, what type of cell phone are you using these days?
Effing tapatalk, man. I've had to go through a couple of replacement phones in the last little while and each time I re-download Tapatalk the default setting is that stupid signature and I always forget about it.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #3614
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Effing tapatalk, man. I've had to go through a couple of replacement phones in the last little while and each time I re-download Tapatalk the default setting is that stupid signature and I always forget about it.
You sure you not using a Pixel 3?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #3615
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

In Iceland, this election made news. It was compared to the right wing movements in Europe, Trump and racist anti gay policies, special attention was made to the level of climate change denial in what is Texas north, not a good image...

As someone who lived in Calgary for 20 years, its not a good picture.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #3616
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If the Icelandic media wishes to be ignorant, that's on them, not Albertans.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #3617
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
In Iceland, this election made news. It was compared to the right wing movements in Europe, Trump and racist anti gay policies, special attention was made to the level of climate change denial in what is Texas north, not a good image...

Is that the UCP's fault or the NDP and media for painting a false picture of a the party?
Quite frankly, it says way more about the state of our media than it does the province of Alberta.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #3618
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Good point. At least Notley can always say her campaign won Icleand's vote.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #3619
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Got any links?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #3620
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

That seems really hard to believe.
Closed Thread