Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Post 2 Oil Tankers in the Straight of Hormuz Reportedly Attacked

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tan...173404?cmp=rss

Quote:
Two oil tankers near the strategic Strait of Hormuz were reportedly attacked on Thursday, an assault that left one ablaze and adrift as sailors were evacuated from both vessels

Quote:
Cmdr. Joshua Frey, a 5th Fleet spokesperson said the U.S. navy was assisting the two vessels, which he described as being hit in a "reported attack." He did not say how the ships were attacked or who was suspected of being behind the assault.

Twitter account to a Navigating Officer on another ship in the area, he has been tweeting what he's heard over the VHF radio:
https://twitter.com/DonaldAMacLeod/s...84132028428288

Last edited by Bigtime; 06-13-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iran pushing the boundaries with this attack. Whether it was them or an associated rebel/terrorist group (don't think the Houthi's would go that far), you can tell they're just playing some brinkmenship to hopefully get a new deal and sanctions lifted. Attacking civilian vessels (likely loaded with Saudi crude) is a whole new ballgame, but in line with the Houthi attacks on a Saudi airport the other day.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gulf of Tonkin, Version 2.0.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video footage of the Front Altair tanker: https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/statu...80308354478081
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Iran pushing the boundaries with this attack.
Given that the Japanese PM was in Tehran today and given that one of the tankers is Japanese-owned, it is highly unlikely that Iran attacked these ships. It's nonsensical.

I note that Psycho Bolton paid a visit to the UAE a couple of weeks ago; that's plenty of time to gin up some kind of false flag.

At any rate, cue the usual anonymous Pentagon source telling CBS that it "is highly likely" that Iran was behind these attacks. Well, the pizza joints around the Pentagon should be busy today.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Given that the Japanese PM was in Tehran today and given that one of the tankers is Japanese-owned, it is highly unlikely that Iran attacked these ships. It's nonsensical.

I note that Psycho Bolton paid a visit to the UAE a couple of weeks ago; that's plenty of time to gin up some kind of false flag.

At any rate, cue the usual anonymous Pentagon source telling CBS that it "is highly likely" that Iran was behind these attacks. Well, the pizza joints around the Pentagon should be busy today.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why would Iran be behind this? I seriously doubt they're that blatantly stupid.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducay View Post
iran pushing the boundaries with this attack. Whether it was them or an associated rebel/terrorist group (don't think the houthi's would go that far), you can tell they're just playing some brinkmenship to hopefully get a new deal and sanctions lifted. Attacking civilian vessels (likely loaded with saudi crude) is a whole new ballgame, but in line with the houthi attacks on a saudi airport the other day.
bs
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducay View Post
saudi arabia pushing the boundaries with this attack. Whether it was them or an associated rogue government agent we seriously knew nothing about i swear to god, like when we had that scumbag journo killed, crap did I say we I meant they (don't think the houthi's would go that far), you can tell they're just playing some brinkmenship to hopefully get the US to attack iran and end the yeman war and sanctions lifted. Attacking civilian vessels (likely loaded with saudi crude) is a whole new ballgame, but in line with the saudi false flag attacks on a saudi airport the other day.
fyp

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 06-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Yeah...I can't see any upside for Iran doing this. I guess Saudi's or Israeli's being behind this. Who benefits from a US/Iran war

The lack of forensic information on the previous attacks is also suspicious.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like someone's between Iraq and a hard place.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

the blame game has begun:

Quote:
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has blamed Iran for a "blatant assault" on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

He said the US had made its assessment based on intelligence about the type of weapons used.

A senior Iranian official earlier told the BBC: "Iran has no connection with the incident."

Dozens of crew members were rescued after explosions on the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous and the Front Altair, owned by Norway.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48630374

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Then tell us the type of weapon used. That easy.

I doubt the Israel angle that was bought up, I don't see the benefit to them, a shooting war between Iran and the US automatically means that Israel is targeted.

I could get behind the Saudi Arabia concept, but it seems thin

If its Iran, its calculated on the American's firing some missiles which has Iran screaming innocent, but being able to work the world community, and also re-start up their nuclear program.

Frankly neither the Iranian or Saudi governments are the most rational out there in terms of middle east power games.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #14
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

According to CNN one of the US Navy ships on scene says they saw an unexploded limpet mine attached to one of the tankers.

Limpet mines were suspected to be behind May attacks on 4 tankers in the UAE.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/polit...ack/index.html
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt the Israel angle that was bought up, I don't see the benefit to them, a shooting war between Iran and the US automatically means that Israel is targeted

Not 'them', 'him' Netanyahu is on the edge of losing power and going to jail, he has made a career out of using Israel's fear of war, there is no better campaign backdrop for him than rockets dropping from the sky
Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #16
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
According to CNN one of the US Navy ships on scene says they saw an unexploded limpet mine attached to one of the tankers.

Limpet mines were suspected to be behind May attacks on 4 tankers in the UAE.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/polit...ack/index.html
perfect for an attack that cant be traced, so much easier than trying to look like the Iranian high speed patrol boats they would actually use
Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys need more tinfoil.

There's one country in the region who's leaders are tenuously holding on to power, desperate enough to instigate an attack like this, are under sanctions for their oil, and was already linked to an earlier attack a couple months ago.

HINT: Neither Israel or the USA, some people's favorite whipping boys, fit that description.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well naval mines are pretty common out there.

Chances are they were submarine deployed mines as a surface vessel dropping mines would be picked up in one of the most surveillance heavy waters in the world.

Currently Saudia Arabia has no submarines in its navy they also have no mine layers but do have 3 mine hunter ships.

Iran has 7 or more submarines in its navy. They also have 3 dedicated mine layers.

At first glance If it was Saudi Arabia, they don't have the military capability to lay mines going by their navy compliment.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I doubt the Israel angle that was bought up, I don't see the benefit to them, a shooting war between Iran and the US automatically means that Israel is targeted

Not 'them', 'him' Netanyahu is on the edge of losing power and going to jail, he has made a career out of using Israel's fear of war, there is no better campaign backdrop for him than rockets dropping from the sky

I think that's a real stretch to be honest.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #20
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well naval mines are pretty common out there.

Chances are they were submarine deployed mines as a surface vessel dropping mines would be picked up in one of the most surveillance heavy waters in the world.

Currently Saudia Arabia has no submarines in its navy they also have no mine layers but do have 3 mine hunter ships.

Iran has 7 or more submarines in its navy. They also have 3 dedicated mine layers.

At first glance If it was Saudi Arabia, they don't have the military capability to lay mines going by their navy compliment.
Its a limpet mine on a timer, it isn't dropped its swam under the boat by a couple of divers, any fishing boat could be used as the jump off point, think James Bond and Thunderball