Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Drycleaning Costs

I've been having my shirts laundered at the same drycleaning business for over 20 years. They closed the business and moved out without notice this morning.

I need to find me a new drycleaning service in the SW.

Questions:
Where do you have your shirts laundered?
What do you pay/shirt?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I haven't really been paying attention but I think I'm charged $5 per shirt and $10 for pants.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Seems like $4.25 to $6/shirt spread now. When I worked downtown in late 90's, we paid $0.99 per shirt for 1-hr cleaning AND they picked it up from the offices in the morning...
Old 05-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Wow. Seems like $4.25 to $6/shirt spread now. When I worked downtown in late 90's, we paid $0.99 per shirt for 1-hr cleaning AND they picked it up from the offices in the morning...
The 90s were a long time ago my mans!
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The 90s were a long time ago my mans!
Yep... life's getting much more expensive nowadays...
Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe this is a dumb question but for those that get their shirts professionally laundered - how many times do you wear the shirt before repeating the cycle?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
maybe this is a dumb question but for those that get their shirts professionally laundered - how many times do you wear the shirt before repeating the cycle?
Fair question. I try not to wear the same shirt more then once. Just me. I work at the office, so physiologically it's not necessary, I don't sweat that much. But when I started working, one of the older and cooler engineers at my first job told me that a guy should wear fresh underwear, different clothes and different shoes each day of the week at the office. I've been following that advice ever since... So, I have 10 shirts to a drycleaner every two weeks.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I generally dislike wearing a dress shirt more than twice at the very most before getting it cleaned.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t pay too much attention to the cost. But around $4-5 a shirt seems right. I get my shirts washed pressed about once a month, which translates to about 2 wears each.

Its worth it to me to save the time and effort since I’m the worlds worst ironer.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Fair question. I try not to wear the same shirt more then once. Just me. I work at the office, so physiologically it's not necessary, I don't sweat that much. But when I started working, one of the older and cooler engineers at my first job told me that a guy should wear fresh underwear, different clothes and different shoes each day of the week at the office. I've been following that advice ever since... So, I have 10 shirts to a drycleaner every two weeks.
I love my clothes as much as the next guy, but 5 pairs of shoes specifically for office wear seems a little excessive...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Five pairs of shoes for office wear isn't excessive at all, actually.

The whole problem with shoes you wear on the daily is that you wear them out quickly. I used to power through a pair of work shoes every 6-8 months because they'd wear out from daily use, and spending $120/pop on shoes every time adds up quickly.

IMHO, the keys to shoe longevity are having a good set of cedar shoe trees that you put in after each wear to help them keep their shape and extract moisture from your foot sweat, and rotating your shoes day to day. It'll keep your wardrobe flexible and extend the life of your shoes considerably. Case in point, I have a pair of black cordovan bluchers (9 years old), oxblood cordovan cap-toe oxfords (9 years old), darker camel and canvas wingtips (9 years old), and light camel monk straps (3 years old). Still need something in a darker brown to complete the range. But I haven't had to spend money on replacing work shoes in... well, 9 years, and haven't had to get them resoled or anything either. Just buff with a cloth before I wear them, or I take them to Pat in 5th Avenue Place for a proper shine every few weeks.

But again, the key is that I don't wear them every day, I rotate them.

---

Does 1 hour / same-day / 24 hour dry cleaning even exist anymore?

Usually the turnaround for my stuff if I bring it in on Friday is Tuesday afternoon, and if I bring it in on Monday, sometimes Wednesday or Thursday afternoon.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 05-22-2019 at 12:43 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Usually the turnaround for my stuff if I bring it in on Friday is Tuesday afternoon, and if I bring it in on Monday, sometimes Wednesday or Thursday afternoon.
I don't think it does here in Calgary. Mine was the same turnaround time, 3-4 days, usually. I am really sorry to see them closed. Very honest people. A couple of times, they returned money to me, which I had forgotten in the pants or jacket pockets after a party; like $200, $120... I was really impressed by that. I mean, I would have never been able to remember where I'd lost it. That's true integrity.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #13
flamesgirl18
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

White Dove Cleaners in Bow Valley Square downtown does same day if you drop off in the morning!
flamesgirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgirl18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #14
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the going rate for dry cleaning a three-piece suit? I recently bought a new one for gigs but after a couple of shows its already ready for a cleaning.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I've had <2hr turnaround at hotels all over the place... Surely it must be possible in Calgary - if not expensive - when necessary.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Five pairs of shoes for office wear isn't excessive at all, actually.

The whole problem with shoes you wear on the daily is that you wear them out quickly. I used to power through a pair of work shoes every 6-8 months because they'd wear out from daily use, and spending $120/pop on shoes every time adds up quickly.
One area where I find it saves them is to just leave your good pairs of work shoes in your office, and wear a good pair of knockaround shoes for the commute, and for lunch if you're planning on going for a casual walk or something. Your average office worker is mostly just sitting at a desk / meeting room, if you're not really walking around outside in them on the regular, they should last a lot longer.

As for OP, yeah I used to have a good, very affordable dry cleaner when I was living by Signal Hill, now that I'm in Chaparral, the eco-friendly one by our place (which is very good) is much more expensive. I really try to stretch it out more than I used to for that reason...but sadly my pits get sweaty super fast it seems, so I'm lucky to ever get multiple wears with the same dress shirts. The rare times I manage to pull that off feels like quite the achievement.

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-22-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #17
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I can't wear a shirt more than once without having it laundered again. Can you? I'm not being a dick. Legit question.

edit - Hmmm. I see some posters here that wear their shirts a couple of times before laundering them again. It never occurred to me. The wrinkles from wearing it all day is enough alone for me to send it to the cleaners again.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 05-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
One area where I find it saves them is to just leave your good pairs of work shoes in your office, and wear a good pair of knockaround shoes for the commute, and for lunch if you're planning on going for a casual walk or something. Your average office worker is mostly just sitting at a desk / meeting room, if you're not really walking around outside in them on the regular, they should last a lot longer.

As for OP, yeah I used to have a good, very affordable dry cleaner when I was living by Signal Hill, now that I'm in Chaparral, the eco-friendly one by our place (which is very good) is much more expensive. I really try to stretch it out more than I used to for that reason...but sadly my pits get sweaty super fast it seems, so I'm lucky to ever get multiple wears with the same dress shirts. The rare times I manage to pull that off feels like quite the achievement.
This. I leave my dress shoes in my office. Other shoes for the commute/non-work walk arounds at lunch.

Then again, in my office we don't really wear business casual unless we have meetings .
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I can't wear a shirt more than once without having it laundered again. Can you? I'm not being a dick. Legit question.

edit - Hmmm. I see some posters here that wear their shirts a couple of times before laundering them again. It never occurred to me. The wrinkles from wearing it all day is enough alone for me to send it to the cleaners again.
I almost always can wear a shirt twice before taking it in. I'll either blast the shirt with the steamer or give it a quick iron. Then again, I don't sweat from my armpits so that helps with the shirt longevity.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #20
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I found the perfect solution for shoes in the office, I don’t wear any just go with socks.(don’t wear shoes in the house so doesn’t seem much different) people coming in don’t seem to mind and abide by the no shoe rule( bonus being the floors stay clean)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote