Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #341
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
This ban effectively forces Huawei to create their own OS and app store, which is a disaster for everyone. Either that or Huawei owners are forced underground, which is really scary.

They'll need to create their own chipsets too

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/22/1...ess-suspension
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #342
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks "good" anytime they hear about companies and governments putting bans on Huawei?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #343
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Am I the only one who thinks "good" anytime they hear about companies and governments putting bans on Huawei?
I still haven’t seen irrefutable proof that these security risks actually exist with Huawei and believe that this is trade war posturing more than anything. I have never purchased anything from Huawei personally, but it’s always good for consumers to have choices.

I suppose one could argue that Chinese companies are all “sketchy”, generally speaking, but are companies based in North America much better?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #344
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you can't clearly see this is just Trump pressuring for a favourable trade agreement I don't know what to say.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #345
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you can't clearly see this is just Trump pressuring for a favourable trade agreement I don't know what to say.
Canada, the EU, and Australia have also discussed banning Huawei from constructing 5G networks amid security concerns, so I don't think this is just a Trump thing.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #346
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

As has New Zealand.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #347
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada, the EU, and Australia have also discussed banning Huawei from constructing 5G networks amid security concerns, so I don't think this is just a Trump thing.
Again, politics. Show me any remote proof that Trump is telling the truth and Huawei is a security concern. I mean sure they are, just like he never cheated on his taxes, and just like he never paid hush money... Show me where in the EU they are considering banning Huawei? Most of the countries looking at banning Huawei are countries with strong ties to the US and are driven politically to not rock the US boat. Most of the countries in the EU want to work with Huawei and most of the companies in the US do as well because they stand to lose huge dollars if this is a long term thing. Intel alone will lose 11 Billion dollars a year. Trump is really screwing his country with this, if China wants they can sink the US economy by tanking their dollar and cutting off all supplies of precious metals which would shut much of the US industry to almost a halt. I don't think it will come to that though, they will get a deal done because while Trump is a tyrant he is also a business man and when companies start losing big dollars the pressure will be on. Already his support with the farm belt has gone to crap and there is an election year coming
Old 05-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #348
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Switched to Koodo, wanted to get a new number, so I fired up my Nexus 6P to put my old sim card in and run two phones for a week or two in case I miss a call from someone I never told about my new number.

I forgot about how great this phone is. I'm tempted to go back to it full time for a bit. I never liked my Galaxy S8, something about it. It's too skinny, I hate the wrap around screen, the screen doesn't seem very crisp, for whatever reason I find it hard to type on, it scratches too easily. I really hope the Pixel 4 this fall is good, but if not what do you guys recommend other than Samsungs? I would consider a Huawei, but well here we are already on that topic so lets skip that for now.

Last edited by btimbit; 05-23-2019 at 03:08 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #349
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ For the price I'm liking the Pixel 3a.

Nothing overly fancy but liking the form factor of it. Although now that they put a low cost option back into the market I'm intrigued to see where they go with the Pixel 4.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #350
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was to go that route I'm willing to wait until the fall to see what the Pixel 4 is like, but the 3a is interesting

Last edited by btimbit; 05-23-2019 at 03:46 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #351
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Switched to Koodo, wanted to get a new number, so I fired up my Nexus 6P to put my old sim card in and run two phones for a week or two in case I miss a call from someone I never told about my new number.

I forgot about how great this phone is. I'm tempted to go back to it full time for a bit. I never liked my Galaxy S8, something about it. It's too skinny, I hate the wrap around screen, the screen doesn't seem very crisp, for whatever reason I find it hard to type on, it scratches too easily. I really hope the Pixel 4 this fall is good, but if not what do you guys recommend other than Samsungs? I would consider a Huawei, but well here we are already on that topic so lets skip that for now.
Pixel for sure, good solid phone.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #352
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Again, politics. Show me any remote proof that Trump is telling the truth and Huawei is a security concern. I mean sure they are, just like he never cheated on his taxes, and just like he never paid hush money... Show me where in the EU they are considering banning Huawei? Most of the countries looking at banning Huawei are countries with strong ties to the US and are driven politically to not rock the US boat. Most of the countries in the EU want to work with Huawei and most of the companies in the US do as well because they stand to lose huge dollars if this is a long term thing. Intel alone will lose 11 Billion dollars a year. Trump is really screwing his country with this, if China wants they can sink the US economy by tanking their dollar and cutting off all supplies of precious metals which would shut much of the US industry to almost a halt. I don't think it will come to that though, they will get a deal done because while Trump is a tyrant he is also a business man and when companies start losing big dollars the pressure will be on. Already his support with the farm belt has gone to crap and there is an election year coming
China has been stealing IP from the West for years.

It is about time someone has the guts to call them on it.

What a world we live in where people support a country who basically forced parents to murder their baby girls for years over the United States.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #353
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
China has been stealing IP from the West for years.

It is about time someone has the guts to call them on it.

What a world we live in where people support a country who basically forced parents to murder their baby girls for years over the United States.
Lmao, yes, the US is so much better killing thousands of innocent people over oil and forcing their western ways on other countries. I am not condoning some of things the Chinese have done but trying to say the US is a better example is downright freakin hilarious!!!
Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #354
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And yet here you can sit here in freedom, whining about the US and their foreign policy without any threat to your or your family.

Could you say the same thing in China? I didn't think so.

The US is not the bad guy here. China has been exploiting Canada & the United States for years. Years and years of stealing intellectual property, banning imports, tariffs that WERE NOT reciprocal, not allowing western companies to operate there, not to mention the massive human rights violations on their OWN citizens. Now everyone is shocked when the US finally does something to protect their own infrastructure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #355
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And yet here you can sit here in freedom, whining about the US and their foreign policy without any threat to your or your family.

Could you say the same thing in China? I didn't think so.

The US is not the bad guy here. China has been exploiting Canada & the United States for years. Years and years of stealing intellectual property, banning imports, tariffs that WERE NOT reciprocal, not allowing western companies to operate there, not to mention the massive human rights violations on their OWN citizens. Now everyone is shocked when the US finally does something to protect their own infrastructure.
WTF does the US have to do with my freedom?? I am Canadian.

Oh really? If Trump truly believes Huawei is a threat then why did he just say Huawei can be part of a trade agreement? I mean if they really are a threat and this is not just about trade why would Trump let them back in?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/23/1...-security-risk

I think you have been buying some serious Trump BS here.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #356
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So you honestly don't think that a company that was funded and started as an offshoot of the Chinese military would not use their technical expertise to infiltrate other countries infrastructure via the sales of critical enterprise level equipment?

Especially when said company & country has been stealing IP for years from Western nations?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #357
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you honestly don't think that a company that was funded and started as an offshoot of the Chinese military would not use their technical expertise to infiltrate other countries infrastructure via the sales of critical enterprise level equipment?

Especially when said company & country has been stealing IP for years from Western nations?
Again, explain to me why if Huawei is such a threat to US national security, Trump is allowing they are a bargaining chip to a trade deal? As a matter of fact if Huawei was so dangerous why did they get a 90 day extension? I mean we all know Apple is doing the same thing. Everybody collects data.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:54 AM   #358
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
^ For the price I'm liking the Pixel 3a.

Nothing overly fancy but liking the form factor of it. Although now that they put a low cost option back into the market I'm intrigued to see where they go with the Pixel 4.
Really interested in seeing if the international version of the the Xiaomi Redmi K20 has supports NA LTE bands, like the MI Mix series does, or if it follows the Pocophone release and lacks support.
The K20 Pro looks like spectacular, particularly in value to the dollar.

https://www.androidauthority.com/red...-specs-991425/
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #359
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Beta 4, so much better.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #360
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp: