Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #81
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I am moving into a new place at the end of the week and I am thinking of going with Telus over Shaw. Telus seems to be less expensive for similar services and I've found Shaw internet to be very spotty over the last little while. Anyone use Telus internet for online gaming? Thoughts?
I switched to Telus about a year ago for similar reasons. Even with a grandfathered Shaw account where I had numerous channels not usually included in newer bundles I found Telus much cheaper.

Due to my area (outer Okotoks) I had to get satellite TV with Telus. I was worried about internet but have had no issue with online gaming and have been able to run many MMO's without lag or disconnects:

AoC
Aion
WoW
SWTOR
DDO
FFXIV

If I can run these games without issue you should be safe.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hessen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #82
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I switched to Telus about a year ago for similar reasons. Even with a grandfathered Shaw account where I had numerous channels not usually included in newer bundles I found Telus much cheaper.

Due to my area (outer Okotoks) I had to get satellite TV with Telus. I was worried about internet but have had no issue with online gaming and have been able to run many MMO's without lag or disconnects:

AoC
Aion
WoW
SWTOR
DDO
FFXIV

If I can run these games without issue you should be safe.
Are you using Telus 50 for internet?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #83
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure. Either 25 or 50. I can look tonight and PM you.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #84
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
I'm not sure. Either 25 or 50. I can look tonight and PM you.
Awesome thanks!
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #85
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm trying to figure out if I can trim down my shaw TV packages. For the upcoming Flames tv schedule, what is the difference between 'SN' and 'SNF'?
http://flames.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

It seems as though I'd still have to keep the Sports 1 package doesn't it?
Sports 1

Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #86
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's SNP, SportsNet Pacific (I believe).

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I'm not sure what's worse: Telus or Shaw. Possibly telus due to their contracts. I've heard horror stories of brutal customer service once someone signs a big contract. We'd probably cut the cable off before we signed a big contract
They are both the Devil. Shaw increases rates as well. Shaw's monthly cable and internet fees are starting to get out of control compared to what we were paying 5 years ago.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #88
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
That's SNP, SportsNet Pacific (I believe).
Tried searching the Rogers/Sportsnet website and left disappointed - largely because they don't have their act together if this is their page for the Calgary Flames: http://www.rogersmedia.com/sportsnet...-on-sportsnet/

The offical SN variants are Ontario, Pacific, West, East, ONE, 360 and World.

Comparing to that team up the QEII, their schedule lists SNOL so I guess they'll have a different feed between SN-Oilers and SN-Flames.

Still looks like I can't save any money.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #89
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Shaw just called me and offered to upgrade my PVR box to the latest for free (using a pretty old one now), increase my internet from what I have now (basic high speed) to 25, add to my HD package, and throw in the phone (which I wont use).

All while keeping my monthly payments the same (no rental fees for the box either).

Am I missing something here or is this actually a sweet deal?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #90
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

It's probably for 6 months before the real price kicks in.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #91
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
So Shaw just called me and offered to upgrade my PVR box to the latest for free (using a pretty old one now), increase my internet from what I have now (basic high speed) to 25, add to my HD package, and throw in the phone (which I wont use).

All while keeping my monthly payments the same (no rental fees for the box either).

Am I missing something here or is this actually a sweet deal?
Sweet deal today but in the future they will raise your rates and you will be paying considerably more.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #92
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, did a little digging and found out that it's a promo offer then it'll go up by 30 bucks a month.

Considering i'm well overdue for a new PVR and I need an upgrade to my broadband speeds, I was gonna end up paying more anyway so might as well get some savings up front I guess.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #93
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went into the Shaw store at Chinook today to see if I can get a better deal. I've had phone/internet/TV with them for a decade plus. Asked if I could get a deal on a new PVR or a better package. Guy looked up my account - nope. Nothing to offer. PVR deal is only for new customers.

I'm in an area that can't get Optik for whatever reason, so I guess I just keep bending over and taking it. Someone's gotta pay Jim Shaw's eight figure salary.

One idea we did have - would it work to cancel my service and have my wife sign up for an account? She hasn't had a Shaw account since we moved in together, and she never changed her name.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #94
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Went into the Shaw store at Chinook today to see if I can get a better deal. I've had phone/internet/TV with them for a decade plus. Asked if I could get a deal on a new PVR or a better package. Guy looked up my account - nope. Nothing to offer. PVR deal is only for new customers.

I'm in an area that can't get Optik for whatever reason, so I guess I just keep bending over and taking it. Someone's gotta pay Jim Shaw's eight figure salary.

One idea we did have - would it work to cancel my service and have my wife sign up for an account? She hasn't had a Shaw account since we moved in together, and she never changed her name.
I don't think so...Shaw is learning to track not just by name but address. Too many deadbeats (no, not including you) will do that...owe a ton of $, close account and not repay, then magically somebody else at that same address will apply for a new account...and somehow want exactly the same services.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 AM   #95
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The power is threatening to cancel. Same deal with cell phones. They won't do anything until you threaten to cancel. Once you talk to retensions anything can happen.

I got upgraded a free gateway system, 2 free theme packs and like $10 off my bill.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:27 AM   #96
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw cut off the end of David Letterman's final show. Thanks Shaw. I hate you.

Any ideas as to how I can watch the entire episode would be appreciated. Thanks.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #97
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Shaw cut off the end of David Letterman's final show. Thanks Shaw. I hate you.

Any ideas as to how I can watch the entire episode would be appreciated. Thanks.
You can watch it on youtube, the show themselves put it up.

Here's where Shaw cuts it off during his goodbye:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq2AZY-qaPY

Here's the final Foo Fighters live with a montage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrVjOUIoo6Q

Both worth watching, if not just to see Dave's kid squirm :-)

ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #98
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Didn't see this posted anywhere, Shaw's OTT offering, FreeRange TV is available:

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6215

You can access some of your TV channels and VOD programming via mobile.

Here is a better posting:

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6214

Last edited by CubicleGeek; 01-04-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added additional community link.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #99
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\

Just tried messing around with that. Seems decent but have to play around with it some more to get my head wrapped around its features.

Seems like Shaw is trying to step up their game a bit. Received a mailout from them advising that they are improving their network and I should come in to upgrade my modem. I like modem upgrades.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #100
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At a high level:
  • Most popular channels can be streamed live from the app, based on your TV subscription.
  • Subscription VOD (stuff you used to have to access through the various "Go" apps - i.e. CTV Go, HBO Go, Global Go) are available.
  • Shomi content is accessible via this app if you have a Shomi subscription.
  • Some content can be downloaded locally so you don't need to burn your mobile data - mostly kids programming at this time.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote