Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #41
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
It's the router/modem combo they provide, and the speedtest is Ookla on my Iphone 6.
OK, the 6 should do faster. So must be a configuration issue on the router. Only other thing to rule out would be to make sure you are close to the router so you have a good signal, and Shaw will probably want you to try with their test, even though it is run by Ookla:
http://speedtest.shaw.ca/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #42
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how everyone is talking about Telus and Shaw 150 when OP mentioned only 50 from each provider is available to him.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #43
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I like how everyone is talking about Telus and Shaw 150 when OP mentioned only 50 from each provider is available to him.
I think Shaw 150 is available most everywhere. There commercial says that anyways.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #44
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think Shaw 150 is available most everywhere. There commercial says that anyways.
Sadly it is not. I am moving to Bridlewood and they do not offer it there yet.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #45
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Sadly it is not. I am moving to Bridlewood and they do not offer it there yet.
That's odd. We have it way out in Rocky Ridge. Telus 150 is not an option out here though.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #46
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's odd. We have it way out in Rocky Ridge. Telus 150 is not an option out here though.
Thats odd.
We have Telus 150 in the fringes of Rocky Ridge.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #47
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the process of cutting the cord with the exception of internet.

Telus 50 is all that's available in Cranston - no fibre and they've dropped the price to $80.00/mth to keep me. Shaw has since called and offered me their 150 service for $70/mth.

My question is that I've read the number of customers on a SHAW node determines your actual speed. Considering I'm going from 50mbs to 150mbs - is that enough of a gain to offset the potential slowdown based on congestion?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #48
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The congestion thing applies to Telus as well, it's just a question of if the capacity is in place to handle all the connected clients.

I test over 150Mbit on Shaw all the time, even during "busy" times. The only time I had an issue was many years ago and when I complained Shaw said they were in the process of updating the capacity in my area. A few weeks later I got max speeds.

If there is congestion it'll be location dependant (meaning they need to improve the service in the area), so your best bet would be to try and find any 150 customers in the neighbourhood
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 PM   #49
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a Shaw 150 user in Cranston as well and bought the Google wifi over Christmas. It automatically performs a speed test daily and hasn't tested below 140 Mbps since plugging it in. IMO, this was more of a problem 10 years ago that Telus loves to use to scare people away from Shaw.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #50
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I should be getting 150 mbs on WIFI? I always thought that was with a direct connection. I can get around 100mbs on WIFI in close proximity to the modem, but generally only 80 mbs on another floor in the house.
Not with an iPhone 6. I had this "issue" when I had 150 installed as well. It turns out the iPhone 6 supposedly doesn't have enough processing capability and proper wifi hardware to sustain the high speeds. A phone with a better processor can better take advantage of the higher speeds. I am also assuming the routers are not bottle necks as class N should be easily able to put out the proper speeds and has been around for a while.

I wrote a post about it in the Shaw thread once upon a time, but I can't find it. I think my iphone 6 would give me between 70-105 mbs. My wife's 6S was around 110-130 mbs. I replaced my iPhone due to me needing more storage and I think my iPhone 7 does around 130-165 mbs on average depending to my proximity to the routers. Choosing 2.4 GHz over 5.0 GHz will also give you a slower speed of course, but I am assuming you're testing over 5.0GHz.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #51
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus is now selling mesh WiFi $120 to their customers, 240 public. I should have mine in the next couple days and can't wait to test it out
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #52
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In Cochrane, Shaw never really worked for us. Always down. So I was with Telus except for the year I worked for Shaw. Now I live in Elbow Valley and use Shaw because my son works there and he got the commission. It's not the most stable. It tends to slow right down at least once a week. I'm on Shaw 150.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #53
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If your area has telus 150 go for it. If not, I'd recommend Shaw. I live in Mount Royal and once they're done putting in infrastructure I'll switch over. Got a good deal with Shaw through a friend that works there. PM me if you want his contact info.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #54
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Shaw phoned me up to tell me my 150 promo is ending, and my service is spiking to $180/month for basic cable and 150 internet.
They offered me a sweet "deal" of $140/month with a free phone! Which I have no interest in. The dude who phoned me basically threatened that if I didn't take that deal, there were no other discounts available to me.
This really rubbed me the wrong way.

I've always been pretty skeptical of Telus, but this guy irked me enough that I'm seriously considering switching. The only problem is that Telus 75 is the highest level of service available to me, even though I live in a pretty central location.
Does anyone have Telus 75? are the speeds actually reliably at or near 75 down?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #55
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
So Shaw phoned me up to tell me my 150 promo is ending, and my service is spiking to $180/month for basic cable and 150 internet.
They offered me a sweet "deal" of $140/month with a free phone! Which I have no interest in. The dude who phoned me basically threatened that if I didn't take that deal, there were no other discounts available to me.
This really rubbed me the wrong way.

I've always been pretty skeptical of Telus, but this guy irked me enough that I'm seriously considering switching. The only problem is that Telus 75 is the highest level of service available to me, even though I live in a pretty central location.
Does anyone have Telus 75? are the speeds actually reliably at or near 75 down?

I have Telus 150/150 but I almost always have that or greater for both my up and downloads. Really happy with Telus.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #56
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to decide if I'm okay with basically cutting my internet speed in half.
I don't play online games much anymore, but we still stream a lot of content.
The Telus 75 has a 550gb monthly cap too.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:23 PM   #57
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't think 75 vs 150 will make much difference for either online gaming or streaming.. Online games are more about ping than transfer rate, and you could stream two Ultra HD Netflix streams at the same time and have 25Mbit left over.

I don't think I could downgrade from 150 tho
Old 03-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #58
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You guys should check out Can Com. They are a Shaw reseller, but have better pricing. I am moving over because I've heard really good things.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #59
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're on Lightspeed. They're also a Telus and Shaw reseller.

https://www.lightspeed.ca/personal/cable-internet/
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #60
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Another reseller option is TekSavvy, biggest plus with them is that they support the wireless Hitron modem that is standard for the Shaw 150 package, so you shouldn't need to switch out any hardware
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote