Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #981
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary is also a preferred location because of the North American TV time slots. Several large broadcasters have indicated to the IOC that this is their preference; I remember hearing this through the grapevine in my industry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #982
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Calgary is also a preferred location because of the North American TV time slots. Several large broadcasters have indicated to the IOC that this is their preference; I remember hearing this through the grapevine in my industry.
Yeah, I mean assuming that "Yes" wins the plebiscite I think the only real question the IOC will ask itself is "what time zone do we want?".
Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #983
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's going to take a lot more assurances before I change my vote from no to yes. I just don't see how this will affect my life in a positive way as a taxpayer. I don't want more amateur athletes signing up and getting my tax dollars to achieve their dream of winning gold on home soil. If they do it on their own dime, great. Unless their spending towards the economy while training is greater than the dollars given to them from the government.

At a min I'd want a new stadium for the Flames and to ensure the infrastructure/roadways are a bonus after the games. By that I mean 4-5 lanes each way the whole way, ie deerfoot.

If someone can guarantee or make a definitive answer as to the positives to me, I'd consider. But for now I just don't see the point. Couldn't care less about showcasing the city.

Last edited by soulchoice; 10-11-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #984
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's funny because most of what I've read suggests as long as Stockholm remains a bid at the end, it is very likely to win with all the European and Asian votes already in the tank for Stockholm. Much as I might hate it, IOC corruption is a nice insurance policy if the plebiscite does go through.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #985
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
It's going to take a lot more assurances before I change my vote from no to yes. I just don't see how this will affect my life in a positive way as a taxpayer. I don't want more amateur athletes signing up and getting my tax dollars to achieve their dream of winning gold on home soil. If they do it on their own dime, great. Unless their spending towards the economy while training is greater than the dollars given to them from the government.

At a min I'd want a new stadium for the Flames and to ensure the infrastructure/roadways are a bonus after the games. By that I mean 4-5 lanes each way the whole way, ie deerfoot.

If someone can guarantee or make a definitive answer as to the positives to me, I'd consider. But for now I just don't see the point. Couldn't care less about showcasing the city.
For me I look beyond just benefits to athletes. I look at how sport is positive to the community. First I think about how the facilities need to be maintained no matter what, because nothing lasts forever. And how important places like these are for health and wellness, physical activity, education etc. How I go skating at the Oval every week, volunteer at COP to help young athletes that wouldn't be here otherwise. How a healthier populace is better in the long run than a bunch of couch potatoes.

And then I go beyond the sport because the Olympics are bigger than just sporting events. I think about the arts festivals, the street celebrations, the opportunities my family will have to see people from other cultures and learn about people and arts from our own culture. I think about how nice it is to have something other than the Stampede once in a while. I think about all of the other festivals that branch off as well.

For economic benefits I go back to sport and think about how important that industry is to Calgary. How many national teams, athletes, emerging athletes and former athletes are based here, centralize here, live, work, eat, sleep and train here? How many international athletes do the same? Literally thousands. Then I think of how it's all repeated when another world cup or world championship is held here.

Finally I think of how much fun it will be because, while some people are just bitter and care about their own small circle, I like to interact with my community and make Calgary better as much as I can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #986
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stockholm's bid on shaky ground? https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/sports...6-71750c09bfe8
Old 10-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #987
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as we're virtually guaranteed to see a government switch in April, before the final bid is due, I think it's important for Kenney to state whether he'd support Olympic funding. But it is pretty awesome the dream scenario of no bids is closing in.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #988
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
That's funny because most of what I've read suggests as long as Stockholm remains a bid at the end, it is very likely to win with all the European and Asian votes already in the tank for Stockholm. Much as I might hate it, IOC corruption is a nice insurance policy if the plebiscite does go through.
Guess we'll see what happens then. I've heard from sources otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #989
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they the same sources that said CalgaryNEXT was going to blow us all away?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #990
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are they the same sources that said CalgaryNEXT was going to blow us all away?
Say what you want, CalgaryNEXT was visionary in its scope. If you didn't like the renderings, that's not my problem or concern. Maybe get over it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #991
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seeing as we're virtually guaranteed to see a government switch in April, before the final bid is due, I think it's important for Kenney to state whether he'd support Olympic funding. But it is pretty awesome the dream scenario of no bids is closing in.
I do support the bid, but I would love to see what happens if no one wants to bid, just because. That would be amazing!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #992
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Say what you want, CalgaryNEXT was visionary in its scope. If you didn't like the renderings, that's not my problem or concern. Maybe get over it?
CalgaryNEXT was not all that visionary at all, and as I've argued many times was a fatally flawed concept more than it was visionary. My point is more that that whole thing cost you a lot of credibility around here, fair or not. You promised everyone the moon, and we got a panini press instead.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #993
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
CalgaryNEXT was not all that visionary at all, and as I've argued many times was a fatally flawed concept more than it was visionary. My point is more that that whole thing cost you a lot of credibility around here, fair or not. You promised everyone the moon, and we got a panini press instead.
I don't remember your arguments for CalgaryNEXT, and frankly I don't really care. Proposing a massive sports and entertainment district on the west end of downtown was absolutely visionary in scope, whether you want to admit it or not.

This is not the thread about the arena either. You're the one that committed an unnecessary drive-by with your post, so maybe take your bitterness to the arena thread? Otherwise, get over it.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #994
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't remember your arguments for CalgaryNEXT, and frankly I don't really care. Proposing a massive sports and entertainment district on the west end of downtown was absolutely visionary in scope, whether you want to admit it or not.
It was terribly executed. A waterslide park on the moon is also a million times more visionary, but if that's where the idea ends with no idea the logistics, the idea would be called "stupid." CalgaryNEXT was stupid.

Also, a massive sports and entertainment district downtown is visionary? I mean, that's been done before. I think everyone and their dog expected something like that. The only difference was that it was proposed to be on contaminated grounds. Lol.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #995
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Holy crap you guys. CalgaryNEXT was forever ago. Get over yourselves and move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #996
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It was terribly executed. A waterslide park on the moon is also a million times more visionary, but if that's where the idea ends with no idea the logistics, the idea would be called "stupid." CalgaryNEXT was stupid.
That's cool, you're entitled to your opinion. I also had many people message me and show their support for the project too. I suggest taking your opinions to the arena thread, or just move on already.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #997
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
For me I look beyond just benefits to athletes. I look at how sport is positive to the community. First I think about how the facilities need to be maintained no matter what, because nothing lasts forever. And how important places like these are for health and wellness, physical activity, education etc. How I go skating at the Oval every week, volunteer at COP to help young athletes that wouldn't be here otherwise. How a healthier populace is better in the long run than a bunch of couch potatoes.

And then I go beyond the sport because the Olympics are bigger than just sporting events. I think about the arts festivals, the street celebrations, the opportunities my family will have to see people from other cultures and learn about people and arts from our own culture. I think about how nice it is to have something other than the Stampede once in a while. I think about all of the other festivals that branch off as well.

For economic benefits I go back to sport and think about how important that industry is to Calgary. How many national teams, athletes, emerging athletes and former athletes are based here, centralize here, live, work, eat, sleep and train here? How many international athletes do the same? Literally thousands. Then I think of how it's all repeated when another world cup or world championship is held here.

Finally I think of how much fun it will be because, while some people are just bitter and care about their own small circle, I like to interact with my community and make Calgary better as much as I can.
The city could just give money to Winsport and COP for way way waaaaaay cheaper and keep the amatuer athelte/wellness benefits you've described which I agree are important.

As for festivals, other cultures etc...those are nice too but not for the price tag of $1,000,000,000 cost to the City.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #998
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is not the thread about the arena either. You're the one that committed an unnecessary drive-by with your post, so maybe take your bitterness to the arena thread? Otherwise, get over it.
What bitterness? I'm mostly grateful to you, public money for these things is a proven waste (I notice you never commented on my post showing the Winnipeg stadium is already a total writeoff...why not?), so the fact CalgaryNEXT was received like a fart in church was wonderful, it ensured it was DOA and hurt any chance of any arena getting significant public funds. Really, you did an amazing job in that regard.

I know it's not a thread about the arena, but my quip wasn't a drive-by, your credibility here is low so your "my sources" quip is not really worth taking seriously, sorry to say. That's what happens when you crush your own cred.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #999
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I will only be voting yes if the host city gets to host a 2nd time, say 12 years later. It gives the IOC a nice break so the city doesn't get stale and there can be great stories about the city and athletes 12 years later. And it gives the host city a much better opportunity to make a profit.

But I dont expect that to happen, so unfortunately I'll be voting no as the costs will probably be too much.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #1000
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this interview between Bunk and the Mayor was a good listen: https://livewirecalgary.com/2018/10/...naheed-nenshi/

The first half is talking about Council in general and I think it's worth listening to, but if you want to just hear the stuff about the Olympic bid, you can skip to about 12:30 in.