Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #1941
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the compensation is 4 1st rounders the Flames have to find a way to match any offer sheet he signs.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #1942
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Unless the compensation is 4 1st rounders the Flames have to find a way to match any offer sheet he signs.
I don't think they are worried about that. The player has to want to sign the offer sheet and what contending team has the cap to do it?
Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #1943
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You won’t convince me and I won’t convince you so this is the last I will say on it. He is a 21 year old elite athlete likely in the best shape of his life like most NHLers are at this time of year. Jeopardize? This isn’t a player coming off an injury and hasn’t been on the ice for 6 months.

I think if he signs on the eve of the season he takes the morning skate and if he and the coaches think he looks fine he would be in the lineup. Laughable to suggest he hasn’t practiced or been on the ice with other elite athletes in the past 6 months.
Skating with other players in the summer is MILES different than practicing/playing with an NHL team.

And jeopardize has nothing to do with coming off an injury...its to prevent injury because his body simply isnt at NHL game speed.

This isnt some sort of big secret...happens all the time with guys that miss camp/long period of time from their teams/practice, regardless of age.

Nylander last year as an example, signed on Nov. 30...didnt play for a week.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #1944
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What would a trade for an RFA like Tkachuk look like? What would you want back?
I can't envision a trade the Flames would necessarily win.

I just don't think people are effectively weighing the contributions from this guy in both tangible offense and every other intangible quality you want from a guy who drags his teammates into games they aren't otherwise emotionally invested in.

If he played 20 minutes a night with top line linemates he'd be a 100 point player. His goal scoring qualities are legit, and it's the hardest thing to do in the league.

If he played 22 minutes a night with MacKinnon and Landeskog he'd produce more than Rantanen in my mind. He's doing it with Backlund and Frolik getting 17-18 minutes a night in defensive situations.

IMO everyone sleeps on Tkachuk because of his 'antics'. He's the 2nd best offensive player on the team IMO and in a year where Giordano is not up to Norris form Tkachuk is probably the 2nd most important player.

Trading him or letting him walk to an offersheet when the last time the Flames were as good as they are now it was 15 years ago is just crazy talk.

Last Season, This Season and Next Season is probably as close to a stanley cup as this organization is going to be in the next 10 years. A situation where Tkachuk is moved either in trade or offersheet might be enough to do it for me as fan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #1945
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Is Jimmy Murphy all that reliable? I know who he is, but I don't consider him an insider. Not like the others. Isn't he around Incarcerated Bob territory?
No. Jimmy Murphy is on the same level as Eklund. Maybe even less than Eklund for pure non sense and garbage rumors.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #1946
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

If a team is to offer sheet Tkachuk it must be
- a team with cap space (thanks, TheIronMaiden for listing)
- a team with required picks
- a team he is willing to go play for, arguably that he wants to play for just as badly as he wants to play for the Flames. Because that is the consequence

Also, 4 1sts would not be so bad. The way the Flames have been drafting under Tre, it’s almost sure to make the team competitive for years, having 2 1sts every year for 4 years. You could even end up with 8 Matthew Tkachuks
Old 09-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #1947
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think they are worried about that. The player has to want to sign the offer sheet and what contending team has the cap to do it?
The only teams that can really do it are the Jackets, Sens, and Ducks. The Avs and Jets have space but their own elite RFA’s to sign.

Maybe the Tkachuk camp is playing another team to get the deal he wants. Sounds like Aho told the Habs he really wanted to be there but was also over the moon happy that the Canes matched.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #1948
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I can't envision a trade the Flames would necessarily win.

I just don't think people are effectively weighing the contributions from this guy in both tangible offense and every other intangible quality you want from a guy who drags his teammates into games they aren't otherwise emotionally invested in.

If he played 20 minutes a night with top line linemates he'd be a 100 point player. His goal scoring qualities are legit, and it's the hardest thing to do in the league.

If he played 22 minutes a night with MacKinnon and Landeskog he'd produce more than Rantanen in my mind. He's doing it with Backlund and Frolik getting 17-18 minutes a night in defensive situations.

IMO everyone sleeps on Tkachuk because of his 'antics'. He's the 2nd best offensive player on the team IMO and in a year where Giordano is not up to Norris form Tkachuk is probably the 2nd most important player.

Trading him or letting him walk to an offersheet when the last time the Flames were as good as they are now it was 15 years ago is just crazy talk.

Last Season, This Season and Next Season is probably as close to a stanley cup as this organization is going to be in the next 10 years. A situation where Tkachuk is moved either in trade or offersheet might be enough to do it for me as fan.
Agreed....he is as much the straw that stirs the drink as anyone else on the club.

You simply do not trade guys like this at his age and the current abilities, nevermind the ceiling on him.

That being said if someone comes at him with 10 or 11 a year for 5 or 6 years, then the Flames have to think about things.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #1949
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Matthew signing with the Senators even though they suck, just because it would be the opportunity to play with Brady.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #1950
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Most likely its only a small leak from the agent to pressure BT.

I doubt MT signs an offer sheet.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #1951
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To STL for Binnington and ???....
Old 09-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #1952
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The list of teams that have enough cap to offer sheet him are.

Ottawa
Anaheim
Columbus
Colorado

Realistically Colorado wont because they have their hands full their own RFA situation. That leaves Ottawa, Anaheim and Columbus.

The Sens would be a prime candidate, they have a spare 1st from SJS and would like to reunite the brothers. That said, I can't see Tkachuk wanting to play for the worst team in the league.
I think he takes it if he's offered 10M X 5 years and can play with his brother until he's a UFA. Plus the Flames can't/won't match at that AAV and the compensation is only two 1st round picks, one 2nd and one 3rd. And the Sens will probably think they will have a leg up to re-sign him with a year left on that contract because of his brother being there.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #1953
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much salary would Colorado have to move to fit Rantanen and Tkachuk? Because that's the team I would worry about. My guess is Tkachuk would be totally happy signing and playing there.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #1954
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
I think he takes it if he's offered 10M X 5 years and can play with his brother until he's a UFA. Plus the Flames can't/won't match at that AAV and the compensation is only two 1st round picks, one 2nd and one 3rd.
Likely to get 2 top 5 picks in that case.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #1955
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
How much salary would Colorado have to move to fit Rantanen and Tkachuk? Because that's the team I would worry about. My guess is Tkachuk would be totally happy signing and playing there.
Knowing that
- Colorado is reportedly offering 8.4-8.75 to Rantanen long term
- Rantanen scored at 1.18 points per game and Tkachuk did not quite get to point per game levels
- Sakic is an old school NHL guy, he isn’t going to behave like Dubas

Do you really think Colorado intends to offer sheet Tkachuk in the sense that what pressures the Flames potentially somewhat undermines their own position with Rantanen?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #1956
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
I think he takes it if he's offered 10M X 5 years and can play with his brother until he's a UFA. Plus the Flames can't/won't match at that AAV and the compensation is only two 1st round picks, one 2nd and one 3rd. And the Sens will probably think they will have a leg up to re-sign him with a year left on that contract because of his brother being there.
If you think the Sens are ponying up 10M a year for Tkachuk I will sell you some beachfront tropical property in Siberia.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #1957
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Likely to get 2 top 5 picks in that case.
Quite possible.

I wonder if he would sign for 5 X 8.4 with the Sens. Then the compensation would only be one first rounder. That would be a disaster if the Flames didn't match, but would they match 5 X 8.4?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #1958
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you think the Sens are ponying up 10M a year for Tkachuk I will sell you some beachfront tropical property in Siberia.
Beachfront, yes, tropical, not so much.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #1959
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A young cost controlled 70 point forward that is also a pest.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #1960
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Quite possible.

I wonder if he would sign for 5 X 8.4 with the Sens. Then the compensation would only be one first rounder. That would be a disaster if the Flames didn't match, but would they match 5 X 8.4?
I think they match 8.4. They may match then trade him, but they match.
Closed Thread