Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #1341
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I have no problem with the NDP works with the Liberals, but you work issue by issue. A defacto agreement to support everything in exchange for a 'dental plan' is a joke.
I don’t think it’s ideal either, but I’m not sure what other options the party had to achieve any of their objectives.

Quote:
Also, will never vote for the NDP while they refuse to support oil & gas development in our country.
I don’t think the party as a whole is opposed to the oil and gas industry in general, nor do I think they’d ever be able to shut things down as some people like to suggest that they would. I think most of the divide stems from how the industry’s political influence affects other goals of the party and vice-versa, which is really a shame because the industry could benefit from more working class support if both sides ever managed to find a way to compromise.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #1342
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Out of curiosity Yoho, and I’m asking this without judgement on your views, why do you think that people who were upset about a lack of workplace rights that resulted in them losing their jobs due to vaccine mandates being legal under certain circumstances appear to be primarily supporting parties(CPC, PPC, UCP) or politicians(PP, Smith) that don’t want to actually legislate improvements to the rights of workers?
I can't speak for Yoho, but I'm certain that the answer is that these people are clueless idiots.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #1343
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Warning, opinion piece...
Quote:
The front-runner is also fond of torqued attacks against the Bank of Canada, journalists, the World Economic Forum and anyone who might plausibly be defined as a “gatekeeper.” His anti-elite, anti-establishment bit belies the fact he’s a career politician and former cabinet minister. He’s establishment all the way down. He’s a phony loudmouth who has been walking the halls of Parliament since 2004, when he was in his 20s.

With all those years in Parliament, you’d think he’d know what he’s talking about, but he doesn’t. He has made the federal budget a crusade: shrinking the deficit and debt, railing against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Bank of Canada’s “money printing” and inflation, and supporting a batty policy to force his ministers to cut a dollar of spending for each new dollar they wish to spend, as if government finance and personal finance are the same thing. It turns out, contrary to Poilievre’s lazy, rehashed-Thatcherist fever dream, that Canada is in healthy and sustainable fiscal shape. Inflation is a problem, a serious one, but it’s not caused by what Poilievre thinks it is, and it won’t be solved by his unserious, debate-club ideas.
Quote:
But we can’t count on Poilievre being moderated by external forces. We must assume the worst. He keeps telling us who he is. We should believe him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d-news-canada/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #1344
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Canada is in great fiscal shape, but we don't have money to spend on health care or necessary NATO obligations.

Glad we got that sorted.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #1345
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada is in great fiscal shape, but we don't have money to spend on health care or necessary NATO obligations.

Glad we got that sorted.
I'm sure we could do both of those things - the NATO one for sure - just not a big political push for it happening.

The health care one is a bigger issue than just money. Money is obviously a big part of it. But I don't see it as a 'we don't have any money to spend' issue.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:01 AM   #1346
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Warning, opinion piece...
So... why post it? Genuine question. I mean I certainly have no affection for the target of that hatchet job but if you'd foregone the link and just instead posted "Wow, I really don't like PP, I think he'd be an awful Prime Minister", that would have done the same job as those block quotes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #1347
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So... why post it? Genuine question. I mean I certainly have no affection for the target of that hatchet job but if you'd foregone the link and just instead posted "Wow, I really don't like PP, I think he'd be an awful Prime Minister", that would have done the same job as those block quotes.
Fuzz probably randomly just decided he wanted to post it and did? Similar to how there are lots of people who post opinion articles but you only “randomly” decided to criticize them for doing so.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:07 AM   #1348
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's an opinion piece, but he makes good points.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #1349
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Glad we got that sorted.

Would help if the provinces spent the money that the federal government sent to the provinces (referring to Ontario)
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #1350
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I thought that opinion piece was bang-on. Glad it was posted. Sometimes CP helps discover links to stories and articles I wouldn't know were out there.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #1351
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His argument makes no sense.

Quote:
It’s possible that as leader or, God forbid, prime minister, he will be moderated by the pressures and checks of the party and the country. Running for something is cheap and easy compared with winning and keeping the thing, as the last two leaders of the Conservative Party learned quickly. Poilievre as leader will have to manage a caucus of members of Parliament and senators. As prime minister, he would have to do the same, alongside a cabinet, departments and relationships with premiers and foreign states. Not to mention, naturally, the people who will expect him to deliver on promises of a better country — promises he simply lacks the capacity to keep. But we can’t count on Poilievre being moderated by external forces. We must assume the worst. He keeps telling us who he is. We should believe him.
How is this any different than what Justin has done as PM or any PM quite frankly? How many PM's have ever had the capacity to keep all their promises? I see the negatives of PP in power but this is a really biased take here.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-16-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:55 AM   #1352
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

How is this any different than what Justin has done as PM or any PM quite frankly? How many PM's have ever had the capacity to keep all their promises? I see the negatives of PP in power but this is a really biased take here.

Ya that’s odd to include by the author and wrecks the credibility of the piece.

When I saw your quote I thought you quoted it out of context and assumed from other quotes in this thread the author was making a weak point about an anti establishment small government leader managing all these people - but no it’s not that.

Also I don’t think the PM actually directly manages like the author states.

Weak author and therefore strengthens PP because of his weak editorial, all legitimate points the author made get diminished.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:05 PM   #1353
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Today's testimony of Campbell and Scanlan in the NS shooting inquiry

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nov...guns-1.6552322

Quote:
The high-ranking Nova Scotia RCMP officer at the centre of a controversy over possible political interference by RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki following the 2020 mass shooting is doubling down on his allegations.
RCMP Chief Supt. Darren Campbell told a House of Commons committee Tuesday that he recalls Lucki saying during an April 28, 2020 call that she was "sad and disappointed" that Campbell had not released details about the gunman's weapons at a news conference.
Campbell told MPs that the commissioner also said she had "promised" the offices of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and then-public safety minister Bill Blair that those details would be released.

Campbell said he tried to tell Lucki that releasing that information could hurt the ongoing investigation, which involved agencies in the United States.
"The commissioner told my colleagues and I that we didn't understand, that this was tied to pending legislation that would make officers and the public safer," Campbell said.
When asked how much of the call with Lucki had been about releasing the gun information, Campbell said the entire 20 minutes he heard of the meeting before walking out had been about the firearms.
Quote:
The details about the guns became public through a briefing note given to the prime minister, which surfaced through an access to information request. Despite a request from the Nova Scotia Mounties that the firearm information be shared only internally to the RCMP, emails show Lucki sent those details to the offices of the Public Safety minister and the national security adviser to the prime minister.
Quote:
Lia Scanlan, former communications director for the Nova Scotia RCMP, appeared alongside Campbell before the committee.
Scanlan wrote a letter to the commissioner more than a year after the shootings, echoing Campbell's concerns and telling Lucki the meeting was "appalling, inappropriate, unprofessional and extremely belittling."
On Tuesday, Scanlan recalled her feeling of "disgust" over the call with Lucki on April 28 and told MPs she "understood exactly what was being said."

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:04 PM   #1354
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Fuzz;8402969]Warning, opinion piece...

Quote:
But we can’t count on Poilievre being moderated by external forces. We must assume the worst. He keeps telling us who he is. We should believe him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d-news-canada/

As objectively juxtaposed against a 3 times ethics violator with gropy hands, who has shown lack of judgement numerous times.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #1355
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can both be ####ty people we don't want leading this country...ideally the PP raw raw train would take a breather and pick someone better suited for the job. I presume that's all any of us really want.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:34 PM   #1356
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Liberals.

They'll never hold Trudeau accountable for breaking all his elections promises, but damn you PP for all the promises you will break. He's not even PM yet and they're already raking him over the coals for pre-breaking election promises.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #1357
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They can both be ####ty people we don't want leading this country...ideally the PP raw raw train would take a breather and pick someone better suited for the job. I presume that's all any of us really want.
One would hope but that's not the case.
PP's supporters like him because they see him as the most anti Trudeau option and the loudest loud mouth bro in the room.

They don't care who's best suited for the job, they simply hate Trudeau so much they want the most anti Trudeau candidate possible.

PPs following actually has more to do with Trudeau than it does with himself.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 05:49 PM   #1358
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Liberals.

They'll never hold Trudeau accountable for breaking all his elections promises, but damn you PP for all the promises you will break. He's not even PM yet and they're already raking him over the coals for pre-breaking election promises.
Part of the issue with PP is summarized pretty well by this post. “bUt TrUdEaU!”

PP already knows a lot of what he’s saying is BS that he won’t ever deliver on but people should vote for him because Trudeau didn’t deliver on some election promises? Sorry I’m not seeing the logic in that line of thinking.

Politics is full of plenty of senseless mud slinging, no sense letting it dictate your own behaviour.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:58 PM   #1359
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Part of the issue with PP is summarized pretty well by this post. “bUt TrUdEaU!”

PP already knows a lot of what he’s saying is BS that he won’t ever deliver on but people should vote for him because Trudeau didn’t deliver on some election promises? Sorry I’m not seeing the logic in that line of thinking.

Politics is full of plenty of senseless mud slinging, no sense letting it dictate your own behaviour.
I'm not a big fan of Poilievre but its not a lot different than Trudeau's 'but Harper tho!!" which lasted for years.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:02 PM   #1360
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread v5

Quote:
Liberals.

This might sound harsh but are you by chance a teenager?

I say this as you truly don’t seem to understand how the world works.

You started your comment with “liberals“ and stating the rest of your comment is uniquely describing liberals only.

You then complained how they aren’t publicly holding their leaders feet to the fire while already bashing the potential next biggest threat to their ability to rule the government.

Yes frustrating behaviour for sure but…

You truly think the liberals (and columnist who support them) are more guilty at this then the right?

Honestly?

If so I ask what I started my comment with - were you both yesterday (or yesterday ish hence are you a teenager)?
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote