Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #6821
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poland is NATO so I sure hope Russia doesn't invade. Despite their military incompetency, they still posses the ability to launch nukes on major western centers, including N America. An an invasion of a NATO country will surely lead to nuke strikes.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #6822
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I learned 2 things that stuck out in my mind when I lived in Poland recently:

1 - Living under a crazy Jesus government is absolute insanity and very cartoon-like

2 - Poland is 100% ready to destroy any Orcs that come waddling through uninvited
I'm not a military strategist or all that thoroughly knowledgeable about the military state of all European countries, but the only mistake bigger than invading Poland would be invading Germany.

And if Russia were to invade Poland a number of things would happen, but most likely it would be kicking off World War 3.

Unless the Poles decided to say something like: "Hey NATO, no worries, you boys can sit this one out on the Bench to avoid escalation. We got this."

Based on their performance in Ukraine, Poland would take Russia out behind the woodshed and whoop it like a disobedient child.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #6823
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Would it be a world war though? That would be like calling 10 guys beating on 1 guy with no legs, a brawl.

I just dont see who would come to Russia's defense in this case.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #6824
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
Would it be a world war though? That would be like calling 10 guys beating on 1 guy with no legs, a brawl.

I just dont see who would come to Russia's defense in this case.
If NATO attacked Russia, you can bet they would launch nukes on Berlin, London, Paris, NYC etc. If that isn't a World War than I don't know what is.

Best if Russia just didn't invade Poland and we didn't have to think of these things.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:52 PM   #6825
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was just making a quip that this conflict would not last long considering how Russia is faring against Ukraine.

That being said, NATO would be defending Poland rather than attacking Russia. This should not be a surprise for Russia, if they did attack. Also, if they were to launch nukes at all members, that is it for us. Means they had a death wish.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:21 PM   #6826
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If NATO attacked Russia, you can bet they would launch nukes on Berlin, London, Paris, NYC etc. If that isn't a World War than I don't know what is.

Best if Russia just didn't invade Poland and we didn't have to think of these things.
Is Russia even capable of attempting to invade Poland? They seem pretty maxed out in the Ukraine. They're going to need many years to replenish their troops and equipment to even make it across the border.

Invading Poland also would not be like invading south eastern Ukraine, where you have a large pro Russian population already. It's going to take far more standing army to pacify any single Polish city.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:47 PM   #6827
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Is Russia even capable of attempting to invade Poland? They seem pretty maxed out in the Ukraine. They're going to need many years to replenish their troops and equipment to even make it across the border.

Invading Poland also would not be like invading south eastern Ukraine, where you have a large pro Russian population already. It's going to take far more standing army to pacify any single Polish city.
No, you don't. There was no "large pro-Russian population" in Ukraine, which is one of the reasons why the initial attack was such a complete failure. Maybe in 2014 this might have been the case, back when the legitimacy of the Kiev government was genuinely under question, but since then Russia has beem very successful in making clear to Ukrainians that even a crappy Kiev government is better than anything Moscow does.

The biggest city in South Eastern Ukraine is (was?) Mariupol and they certainly didn't make Russians feel welcome.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #6828
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
No, you don't. There was no "large pro-Russian population" in Ukraine, which is one of the reasons why the initial attack was such a complete failure. Maybe in 2014 this might have been the case, back when the legitimacy of the Kiev government was genuinely under question, but since then Russia has beem very successful in making clear to Ukrainians that even a crappy Kiev government is better than anything Moscow does.

The biggest city in South Eastern Ukraine is (was?) Mariupol and they certainly didn't make Russians feel welcome.

Oh I don’t agree with the matter of fact of this from my deep understand of Ukraine history … I have taken an interest in recently ha (ie I don’t have a deep understanding)

Anyway when mayors of major cities like Odessa and smaller places like Kherson were pro Russian before Feb 2022 (or at least the internet told me that) I think there was a lot more pro Russian views in Ukraine post 2014 then you think
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:07 PM   #6829
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Crazy how all we've been taught is that USSR/Russia have done nothing but build up arms stockpiles since 1945 in anticipation of another land war in Europe against a Superpower + allies.

Yet here they are getting their asses whooped by a single country and its NOT named China or the USA.

I wonder how badly a middle power country like Iran could whip their ass if they felt inclined?
Russia did build up a huge stockpile of weapons.... In 1945. Over the last thirty years, not so much.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #6830
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

I'm more referring to the invasions of the Crimea and parts of the Dondas. There definitely was a fair bit of pro Russian sentiment in those areas, with many people being ethnically Russian. Russia also already had a military presence in the eastern Ukraine before this latest conflict started.

Last edited by blankall; 08-13-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #6831
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

MH17 war criminal and Novorossiya diehard Igor Girkin/Strelkov was reportedly detained by Russian authorities crossing into Ukraine. Perhaps all his doom posting and crapping on RuAF and Shoigu finally caught up with him.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1558523940984823810
https://twitter.com/user/status/1558527968993054721
https://twitter.com/user/status/1558528229014749186
https://twitter.com/user/status/1558530312694648833

Last edited by burn_this_city; 08-13-2022 at 07:52 PM.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #6832
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Address of the building in one of the photos.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1558869697747107840
Old 08-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #6833
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1558857290547175430
https://twitter.com/user/status/1558872988619051010
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #6834
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Same sources are now saying he’s alive. I guess we will see.

For those wondering who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Prigozhin
Old 08-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #6835
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Same sources are now saying he’s alive. I guess we will see.

For those wondering who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Prigozhin
He sounds like a real charmer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #6836
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Russia invades Ukraine

Perhaps a more somber view on the war and how well Russia is doing in the east. Not one tweet but an entire thread.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1558878228282064896
Old 08-15-2022, 12:18 AM   #6837
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another super informative video from Perun on the state of the Ukrainian army, with some comparisons to Russian forces.

There was a really interesting line in there claiming that the US is already training Ukrainian pilots for US jets.

It's uncharacteristically for Perun a very throwaway line, but obviously the implications are significant, and he doesn't strike me as a guy that would drop something like that without knowing what he's talking about.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 12:51 AM   #6838
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Yeah I don’t know how you don’t consider an entire nation worth of people having to commit fraud to get credit card access a pretty dire situation.
It's not fraud. It's perfectly legal to own a card issued by another country. I had Wells Fargo card issued in USA about 7 years ago. It's not like sanctions deny Russian citizens to use foreign cards either.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 12:57 AM   #6839
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't notice him saying Russia is about to collapse, only that Russia should be starting to "feel that seriously". Unless I'm mistaken?

That's roughly in line with many other predictions, and fairly uncontroversial.

There was always going to be a lag between the sanctions coming into effect and those effects showing up in people's lives.
I was referring to his quote below and so far it's not happening. While there seems to be a consensus among the west that Russia will feel effects of sanctions at some point, that point does not seem to be by late August or September. It also could be that western experts are just telling western people that sanctions hurt Russia badly because this is what the west wants to hear.

Quote:
The economic situation is deteriorating and we will begin feeling that seriously by late August or September. It’s a gradual process. One company closes, people have to look for new jobs, then another closes, and so on. Certain goods are disappearing, but not everything

Last edited by Pointman; 08-15-2022 at 01:03 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 01:07 AM   #6840
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Russian economy shrank 4% this quarter according to the Russian Central bank. Expectations were 10% down, so those expectations were beat.

The Russian Central bank expects further contraction next year.

That's not collapse, but 4yrs of progress have been deleted. Also commodities are inelastic in the short term, over longer periods sources of commodities can be replaced and demand destruction occurs.

The IEA is also estimating Russian oil production will begin to fall without access to western tech/expertise.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks