Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2022, 03:18 AM   #2341
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Is signing a player for 85m who has made it incredibly clear he doesnt want to go there really a good idea?
he hasn't. He's made it clear that, if given the chance, he'd rather stay at Barca. Which is fair, but they're forcing him out.

It baffles me that people lap this "he doesn't want to join" stuff up. As if United would spend months negotiating a deal without making sure he'd be okay with it ... especially when the new manager has him on speed dial and the club has just signed another client of the player's agent.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
J79
Old 07-15-2022, 05:31 AM   #2342
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
he hasn't. He's made it clear that, if given the chance, he'd rather stay at Barca. Which is fair, but they're forcing him out.

It baffles me that people lap this "he doesn't want to join" stuff up. As if United would spend months negotiating a deal without making sure he'd be okay with it ... especially when the new manager has him on speed dial and the club has just signed another client of the player's agent.
There were multiple stories yesterday that his agent told united to stop bidding
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:34 AM   #2343
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were multiple stories yesterday that his agent told united to stop bidding
yeah, from "Sport", which are the equivalent of The Sun. Also, the notion "stop bidding" is hilarious, since the clubs have agreed a fee (every reliable outlet reported this yesterday). There's no more bidding to be done, just waiting until de Jong and Barcelona agree on the issue of the deferred wages (which are a big reason why his camp is digging the heels in right now, which makes sense).

But I get it. "He doesn't want to join United" makes for brilliant headlines and a ton of clicks. Doesn't matter that it doesn't make any sense, people will lap it up.

EDIT: a key line from the newest Telegraph piece:

Quote:
Old Trafford sources say they would have not have got this far down the line if they did not believe De Jong was prepared to join them, despite claims in Spain that the player is not interested in a move.
well, duh. But hey, if "Sport" says otherwise

Last edited by devo22; 07-15-2022 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:47 AM   #2344
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

Wait, are you talking about the same Manchester United that spent over €100m on a player they let go on a free transfer?

Twice.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:49 AM   #2345
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm the first to concede that incompetence has been rife at this club. But yeah, there's no way in hell they'd be this daft.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:25 AM   #2346
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given United's recent history I would fully expect them to do something that daft. All we need now is Man City to feign interest to drive up the price a bit more and it's basically following their recent disastrous signings playbook to a T. Even if you want to convince yourself that the "he doesn't want to go" stories aren't true, everything suggests he's going by force and not by choice. United should be seeking out guys who want to be there and not guys who are there because Barca are broke and need him gone, even as he'd rather stay despite how poorly they've treated him. Smacks of a pretty big red flag to me.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:31 AM   #2347
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be worried if it was any other manager. But ten Hag obviously knows him well and has been in regular contact with him. I think it's blown out of proportion ... Spanish mega clubs have pushed out star players several times and they still performed really well for their new clubs (Robben, Alexis etc). United fans are obviously paranoid after being burned by di Maria, but again, ten Hag is key here ... I don't worry about it too much. Him prefering to stay in Spain doesn't mean he wouldn't be professional about it at United.

as for seeking out guys that want to be here, every other transfer reeks of this. Malacia, Eriksen and Martinez have snubbed other clubs (f.e. Arsenal fought hard to get Martinez).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #2348
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is signing a player for 85m who has made it incredibly clear he doesnt want to go there really a good idea?
No. Given that the whole mindset of the club should be focused on changing the culture from a bunch of social media mercanaries to players that actually want to be there.

Unless there is an alternative reason for him refusing to leave Barca like $ to be paid out pre departure, do not want.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #2349
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Frenkie never made it a secret that Barca is the club of his dreams but I have 0% doubt he would be a problem at Manchester. And not only because of ETH.
He absolutely loves the game.
Barca might be a little bit more of a mess than MU but at least they play CL.

Meanwhile Ajax losing Martinez is a huge blow.
I think he will do very well in the PL. Such a pitbull who's a pain in the ass for attackers.
Lot of composure and a great long pass. His height could be a bit of a problem but he's not scared of anyone. A true warrior.
(player of the season for us last season)

I wonder if Antony is up next for ETH.
Ajax is close to sining Franseco Conceição from Porto for the right wing position, and Brian Brobbey who can also play RW.
Not sure if Antony would be a fit for the PL. Very fun player to watch though. Amazing skills, agility and left foot, but a lightweight with the wrong kind of South American temper.

Also some rumours of Ajax being interested in Depay.
Personally I really hope to see Luis Suarez back as a striker.
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2022, 12:59 AM   #2350
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Barcelona can't afford to keep him, and thus he understands they are forced to sell -- but SPECIFICALLY, his camp won't concede the the Loyalty bonus (€15m) he's entitled to. Which isn't paid out if he specifically says he wants to be leave. Simple brinkmanship, and Laporta is the one who will fold.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2022, 04:27 AM   #2351
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I saw from Forest's FA cup games and playoffs last year Spence could turn out to be The Spurs best signing this preseason.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:53 AM   #2352
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems very smart from Crystal Palace to go on tour in Australia when you have to leave numerous first teamers at home because they are unvaccinated. But oh well.

have seen parts of all of Uniteds games on tour so far and I really like what I see. Fluid front three, early pressing, lots of running, a high line and full backs joining the action. Martial the clear winner of this tour so far, I have rarely seen him so engaged and motivated. Sancho, Fernandes, Dalot, Malacia all looking good too, as well as some of the youngsters (Zidane Iqbal in particular).

Still questions in CM obviously and I have no idea how Ronaldo would fit into all of this, but ten Hag probably couldn't have asked for a better tour so far. Decent football, beautiful goals and a team putting the shift in, that's a good start to a new job.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #2353
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lingard to Nottingham on a one year deal ... apparently they are paying him close to £200k per week. Looool good luck with that.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #2354
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saints have had a very busy transfer window spending over 50 million. Excited to see what Joe Aribo can do and hoping that Gavin Bazunu can win the number 1 keeper position with Fraser Forster moving on.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #2355
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's preseason and all, but Everton getting pumped 4-0 by the mighty Minnesota United....yeah. Gotta think the bookies won't even put Lampard on the board for first manager sacked.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:20 AM   #2356
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zinchenko to Arsenal official.
We will be the new Man City!!
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:15 AM   #2357
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a brief second there, when I woke up to my Flames alerts, I thought we’d signed Wenger.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 10:35 AM   #2358
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically obligatory.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1550879325381173248
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote