Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 03:44 PM   #2721
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, so before I ask, I have googled this, but still confused.

I have a Garmin Forerunner watch. Love it. Love the Vo2 max and other fun metrics.
Looking for a new watch.
What is the difference between Garmin Forerunners and Apple Watch?

From online it seems to be:
  • Garmin has WAY better battery life
  • Garmin has more running metrics, but BOTH have V02 Max (and like the FREE ability to track runs)
  • Apple has its sleek design
  • Apple is part of its ecosystem - which include other health metrics that Garmin doesn't have
  • Apple updates with new health updates will generally include back generations of watches for at least a few updates, as long as its obviously not a hardware limitation- Garmin doesn't seem to do this at all
  • Also, Garmin may or may not have better GPS sensors- seems iffy
Is it fair to say Apple Fitness plus is NOT required to track runs- Fitness plus is more of giving you workouts?

Thank you!!
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:04 PM   #2722
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can track runs with any other app, like Strava, and it seamlessly integrates into Apple's tracking.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 10:35 PM   #2723
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the Apple Watch has better battery life, I wouldn’t replace my Forerunner with it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 05:35 AM   #2724
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Unless the Apple Watch has better battery life, I wouldn’t replace my Forerunner with it.

Ty - why?
Old 08-13-2022, 08:00 AM   #2725
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can you not see your heart rate while you run on a i watch without apple fitness plus?

“Sensors in your Apple Watch combine with advanced algorithms to give you metrics that motivate you in your workouts. With Fitness+, you can see that data synced to your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV in real time”
Old 08-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #2726
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Ty - why?
For my particular use case, if I am travelling or camping then I don't want to have to worry about charging daily; I know that I can basically turn it on when I am ready and be able to track activities for a couple of days and not be another device I need to worry about keeping charged. Maybe the battery life of the Apple Watch has improved. I bought my Garmin in 2018 and that's when I was really comparing the two.

The other pro is that it can use the external Garmin devices, specifically the footpod, if you're doing any indoor running around a track or a treadmill or even cycling it's good for that. I actually found the footpod pretty accurate once calibrated for your stride length.

It's not for every activity though, but I use it primarily for running, hikes, cycling. It's waterproof, so you could swim with it, but it won't track your swims (as far as I know?).
Old 08-13-2022, 10:48 AM   #2727
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
For my particular use case, if I am travelling or camping then I don't want to have to worry about charging daily; I know that I can basically turn it on when I am ready and be able to track activities for a couple of days and not be another device I need to worry about keeping charged. Maybe the battery life of the Apple Watch has improved. I bought my Garmin in 2018 and that's when I was really comparing the two.

The other pro is that it can use the external Garmin devices, specifically the footpod, if you're doing any indoor running around a track or a treadmill or even cycling it's good for that. I actually found the footpod pretty accurate once calibrated for your stride length.

It's not for every activity though, but I use it primarily for running, hikes, cycling. It's waterproof, so you could swim with it, but it won't track your swims (as far as I know?).

Ha ha You sound a lot like me. I use mine for hiking, running and biking. I have the HR strap.

This purchase is for my wife however.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #2728
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the Apple Watch 6 and I charge it for about an hour every 2 days. I sleep in it because I have a sleep tracking app, so what I do is throw it on the charger from about 7-8 pm every couple days.

Last time I charged it was Thursday evening and it's at 58% right now.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 01:12 PM   #2729
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you decide to go the apple route, you might want to wait until after their September Apple event. There are rumours of a new watch, and perhaps even a pro version with longer battery life.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #2730
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha ha You sound a lot like me. I use mine for hiking, running and biking. I have the HR strap.

This purchase is for my wife however.

The thing I appreciate about the Forerunner was the heart rate monitor. I don’t think I could stand wearing it, and I am not a huge stats person. I just want a good estimate of intensity and that my heart isn’t about to blow out of my chest.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #2731
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The thing I appreciate about the Forerunner was the heart rate monitor. I don’t think I could stand wearing it, and I am not a huge stats person. I just want a good estimate of intensity and that my heart isn’t about to blow out of my chest.

So I have 645 but went for the strap anyway. I don’t know - it’s gives you the lactate threshold which I find fun.

So I can see if I am improving from v02max and lactate threshold.

Now- you don’t need these obviously- does your same run feel better at a faster pace turn before tells you if you’re improving.. but I find these make it more fun and .. I don’t know ha

But the other stats the strap gives you I hardly look at.

I don’t notice it unless it falls off which has happened twice in many years
Old 08-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #2732
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
If you decide to go the apple route, you might want to wait until after their September Apple event. There are rumours of a new watch, and perhaps even a pro version with longer battery life.

Wife doesn’t want to wait!!! So maybe just maybe it will be released before the return period and I can get a discount on my purchase ha
Old 08-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #2733
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife has both a garmin and apple 7 watch. She prefers the Garmin for biking, running, and golf. For everything else, she prefers the Apple watch.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #2734
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple CarPlay should really add a weather App to it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #2735
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
My wife has both a garmin and apple 7 watch. She prefers the Garmin for biking, running, and golf. For everything else, she prefers the Apple watch.

Ty- why does she prefer it? I know I keep asking but interested!
Old 09-04-2022, 03:51 PM   #2736
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How long after the apple events can you typically buy the devices?

Is it like times of old where one would need to line up to get it the first week or however it worked?
Old 09-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #2737
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll buy a 13 Max Pro when the price drops when the 14 is out. We’ll be in the U.S. Oct. 6-7. Should I wait and buy in the U.S.? I’m with Virgin.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 09-04-2022 at 04:52 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #2738
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
How long after the apple events can you typically buy the devices?

Is it like times of old where one would need to line up to get it the first week or however it worked?
For phones, the online preorders usually start a week or two after the event. You usually have to set an alarm for some ungodly time, but you can do it from bed at least.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:35 PM   #2739
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Emergency SOS via satellite feature is pretty cool to have in a phone.

Though they said free for 2 years for iPhone 14, I wonder how much it will cost after that.
Old 09-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #2740
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me wonders with satellite tech if apple is opening the door to move into the telecom space by offering those services themselves, eventually. I didn’t watch the event but it seems the products offered today were more or less the same incremental products offered by apple more recently. Not underwhelming as the Jobs days are over, but hardly revolutionary.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote