Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #2521
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can you tell what's coming soon to Netflix?
Old 08-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #2522
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

There is a link on RedFlagDeals.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:39 AM   #2523
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
It's one of the oddest decisions Netflix makes. They do such a terrible job of revealing what has been added or is coming.

Also the inability to hide suggestions especially ones you've already watched and rated...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #2524
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's one of the oddest decisions Netflix makes. They do such a terrible job of revealing what has been added or is coming.

Also the inability to hide suggestions especially ones you've already watched and rated...

A list does get released right before the end of the month showing next month's titles and the dates they are released on.

Here's an example for August.

https://www.flare.com/tv-movies/netf...ch-this-month/

As to why netflix does such a piss poor job of highlighting new releases and making lists and dates available, other than the super annoying auto play trailers and notifications, I've heard it is because they want you to browse. They think that leads to more netflix time. You'll eventually just settle on something and watch. What they don't want is people opening netflix to watch just one movie and then closing it again.

I use one of the many websites that list new movies for netflix (and other streaming services). I'll check it every few days or weeks and if I see something interesting, I'll watch. Browsing is kind of annoying because it seems to just show the same 50 shows over and over.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #2525
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. the "recently released" section of Netflix, on the Apple TV, is horrible. I want to see a reverse chronological list of content, preferably with a some kind of "date added" stamp.

Programmatically, that should be so easy to implement. I assume it has to be for some other reason.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #2526
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I think Netflix does this on purpose. They want to force you to meander through the selections they are highlighting.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #2527
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

What annoys me more is that they don't announce what they're pulling. Family was all set to watch the Truman Show, which was in my to watch list, and it disappeared one day to the next.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #2528
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
What annoys me more is that they don't announce what they're pulling. Family was all set to watch the Truman Show, which was in my to watch list, and it disappeared one day to the next.
There are sites all over the internet that will give you this information.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/07/31/l...canada-august/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #2529
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Oh no!! Not Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2!!! The Horror! The Horror!!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #2530
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Geez they couldn't pull Dawn of Justice off fast enough, they kinda dropped it like its hot.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #2531
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

I'm aware of that. But why can't Netflix flag soon-to-be-removed content themselves so I don't have to routinely check these websites?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #2532
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen flags on titles saying a title is going to be removed soon, but it's pretty inconsistent.

I just think they don't want to give people any excuse to end their subscription. They'd rather take the gamble of just pulling the title and hoping you stay rather than seeing an important title is being removed and give you the ammunition ahead of time to cancel.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #2533
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I've seen flags on titles saying a title is going to be removed soon, but it's pretty inconsistent.

I just think they don't want to give people any excuse to end their subscription. They'd rather take the gamble of just pulling the title and hoping you stay rather than seeing an important title is being removed and give you the ammunition ahead of time to cancel.
I'd bet it has more to do with them basing these things on metrics. This is all pure speculation on my part but I imagine with these movies that they purchase a license to run them to a certain date and they probably wait until the last minute possible to either extend or let the license expire based on how many people have been watching the show, social media, etc.

tl,dr; I doubt they know more than a month or two in advance before they pull a title.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-17-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #2534
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm aware of that. But why can't Netflix flag soon-to-be-removed content themselves so I don't have to routinely check these websites?
They do.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/41298

Quote:
How do I find out if a TV show or movie is leaving Netflix?
The Netflix website displays expiration dates on TV shows and movies to help make sure you don't miss out on great content.

You'll be able to see an expiration date if a title is leaving our service in the next 30 days. You can find that expiration date in the following places on netflix.com:

The details page of the TV show or movie.

The My List section, if you have it set to manual sort. (US Only)

You will also see an expiring content notification during the first few seconds of playback on netflix.com.

This notification is only for TV show seasons (or entire series) expiring in the next 30 days.

This notification will only show once per day.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 03:03 AM   #2535
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Disenchantment is pretty great so far I think. Really dark at times and pretty funny overall.

I love hearing many of the same voices as Futurama: John DiMaggio, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, David Herman, Billy West, Lauren Tom, and probably others.

Last edited by AC; 08-18-2018 at 03:06 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #2536
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I follow Uproxx on Facebook and get regular notifications of new content and stuff that’s leaving.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #2537
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Disenchantment is pretty great so far I think. Really dark at times and pretty funny overall.

I love hearing many of the same voices as Futurama: John DiMaggio, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, David Herman, Billy West, Lauren Tom, and probably others.

Does the sound mixing get better in later episodes? I watched the first and it seemed so lifeless, the fight scenes were so quiet and it just seems like a rough cut all around where half the sound effects are missing. Really took my enjoyment out of watching it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #2538
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first episode didn’t quite hook me. I will keep going though. It has promise, but no spectacular take away moments from episode one.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #2539
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought I, Tonya was pretty good. It kind f felt like a Coen Brothers movie.
Watched this last night and I felt the same way. I really enjoyed it and the Shawn character was the best. I can't believe he was really like that in real life. Margot Robbins was excellent as well. She is quickly becoming one of my favourite actresses to come out in the last few years.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #2540
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The first episode didn’t quite hook me. I will keep going though. It has promise, but no spectacular take away moments from episode one.
I found the series really starts taking off and coming into its own at some point in episode 3. The first episode was a bit of a slog since they really wanted to drive home the premise and establish the characters.

Quite a number of very clever moments and dialogue. Definitely got a feel of what Futurama had built into its prime. It's strange to have this style with a linear story, though. Strange, but good.

Part 1 ends pretty abruptly on a cliffhanger. Hate that I have to wait another year.

Recommend.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote