Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #1721
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
I read the first review and would conclude that bitterness and cynicism are alive and well in the music critic world. It's hard to take seriously a critic that spends a half of his review bitching about the bands appearance. Isn't it all about the music? I take these reviews with a grain of salt. The vaunted Rolling Stone savaged every Zeppelin album back in the day so ...

Couple things: these guys are kids. If they expected the maturity of U2 circa Joshua Tree, well...

And it's their first album. Fact is all three musicians can play and the singer has a one in ten million kind of voice.

Second, they play and write their own music. For all the ramblings of this critic about algorithms and manufactured music he appears to be blithely unaware that there is not a drum machine, an auto-tuned voice or any sampling, to be found on this record. It's three musicians and a singer with about the same array of stuff from 1980.

Third, he says 'It’s a costume—Greta Van Fleet is all costume.' I assume he's never listened to the album because there's few people on the planet that can sing like this kid. Not his fault that he sounds like Plant circa 1969. That's his voice. What should he do - go into accounting because someone thinks he might sound like a Robert Plant rip-off? Imagine having the chaff to characterize songs on a group of 20's something's debut album as 'unforgivable'? Lol, guess it's hip to be unrelentingly mean-spirited in 2018.
They're good kids, I dig it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #1722
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Most GVF album reviews sound more like fashion reviews than music reviews. I guess it's hard to stretch "they sound a lot like Led Zeppelin" into 2000 words.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #1723
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #1724
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Most GVF album reviews sound more like fashion reviews than music reviews. I guess it's hard to stretch "they sound a lot like Led Zeppelin" into 2000 words.
Probably because the band apes Zeppelin right down to the socks -- they basically copy the entire Zeppelin act. I saw them live and they even had a Bonham drum solo ala Moby Dick. It was hilarious. Kind of fun to watch for a few songs while drinking a beer but becomes painful how there is literally no attempt whatsoever to differentiate themselves or even show they had any other influences.

I think bands can heavily wear their influences on their sleeves but this is some next level imitation. The only bands I've seen do it to this level are actually cover bands. I think the reviews are more than fair.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #1725
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Probably because the band apes Zeppelin right down to the socks -- they basically copy the entire Zeppelin act. I saw them live and they even had a Bonham drum solo ala Moby Dick. It was hilarious. Kind of fun to watch for a few songs while drinking a beer but becomes painful how there is literally no attempt whatsoever to differentiate themselves or even show they had any other influences.

I think bands can heavily wear their influences on their sleeves but this is some next level imitation. The only bands I've seen do it to this level are actually cover bands. I think the reviews are more than fair.

I can't deny the criticisms, I just find it a bit disingenuous when a music review is 5-10% about music and the rest is about fashion and context (ie - the infamous pitchfork review). The only thing about music that really counts is the impact it has on the listener, if you have extensively contextualize your music to enjoy it, then I think you're doing it wrong and I have little interest in the opinion of anyone who thinks like that.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #1726
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

You realize Rush, Heart and a host of other bands all started as Led Zeppelin rip-off acts until they developed their own identities, right?

And if you think a single live show is representative of their work to date you don't know that you're talking about. Their full length LP is already an evolution from the first EP's.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #1727
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
You realize Rush, Heart and a host of other bands all started as Led Zeppelin rip-off acts until they developed their own identities, right?

And if you think a single live show is representative of their work to date you don't know that you're talking about. Their full length LP is already an evolution from the first EP's.
I saw them in September. They must've developed their identity quite a bit over the course of a month.

If they end up distinguishing themselves down the road then good on them. Until then, I stand by my point.

Fair play if you like them but don't expect everyone to do the same mental gymnastics in order to accept this band as more than what they are.

Last edited by Igottago; 11-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #1728
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Morrissey did a cover of "Back on the Chain Gang" on Corden. In case you need more proof he's a self-important #### he's wearing his own shirt. He can still sing though.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #1729
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

getting prepped for tonight's show:

- Surferguy
Old 11-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #1730
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I found this online tonight. I remember back in the 80's I was a fan of the Spoons. If I look at my spotify I have Nova Heart which was a great song at the time. But I really dig this recent acoustic version.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #1731
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Rian Johnson directed a video for LCD Soundsystem's "oh baby".

For some reason I always passed on these guys, until this weekend. Loving their most recent album. Look forward to digging into their older stuff too.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #1732
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #1733
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #1734
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Morrissey did a cover of "Back on the Chain Gang" on Corden. In case you need more proof he's a self-important #### he's wearing his own shirt. He can still sing though.

The original was always interesting to me in the way the key changes after the bridge. I can't tell if they do that here. I think probably not - the lead guitar is using a capo and doesn't change position.

Last edited by troutman; 11-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #1735
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Last night in the PGT there were the pictures of the Korean Girls dancing around and I joked that it needed more Baby Metal.

I actually listened to some last night, and its amazing how talented the girl lead singer is Su-Metal, and how tight the band is.

I'm not into the over cheorographed stuff, but this version of The One was amazing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #1736
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The original was always interesting to me in the way the key changes after the bridge. I can't tell if they do that here. I think probably not - the lead guitar is using a capo and doesn't change position.
They do, it goes up at step.
There was a website devoted to shaming this element of songwriting, although I think it works sometimes.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140411...e.org/FAQ.html
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #1737
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
They do, it goes up at step.
There was a website devoted to shaming this element of songwriting, although I think it works sometimes.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140411...e.org/FAQ.html
Good eye and good ear! I remember learning that song and going from D to E (whole step)?

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-show-753382/

Quote:
“Chrissie is one of my longest and enduring friendships,” he said. “I don’t have many. She sang on my 1991 U.K. single ‘My Love Life,’ and also on a track on my Swords album called ‘Shame Is the Name.’ Chrissie is the funniest person in the world, yet she has absolutely no sense of humor. We have been in many absurd situations – all her fault, of course. I know she’d marry me tomorrow, but she’s already had 11 husbands and she’s always being spotted digging in the garden at midnight.”
Thanks for the interesting link too - "The Truck Driver's Gear Change". I didn't know it was that common. I'm not sure it is a "musical crime". Another one I recall learning is Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello. A to B?

https://www.musicnotes.com/now/tips/...al-modulation/

Last edited by troutman; 11-21-2018 at 10:22 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:04 AM   #1738
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #1739
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't listen to Radiohead's Kid A very often because I find it to be a bit disjointed. However, today, during a moderate bout of melancholy, this song came on my mix and hit the perfect tone at the perfect moment. Hauntingly beautiful and underrated.

Isn't that what music/art is really about? Finding a way to articulate an emotion that we are having trouble expressing? This did it for me, and I'm thankful for that.

p.s. Ignore the video. It's not official and not all that good.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 11-21-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #1740
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This sort of goes in here. I'm currently listening to the audio book for the Beastie Boys Book. I purchased the hard copy but when I saw the lineup of people who read chapters of the book I wanted to listen to it instead.

Other than Ad-Rock and Mike D the list of narrators is impressive:

Steve Buscemi
Ada Calhoun
Bobby Cannavale
Exene Cervenka
Roy Choi
Jarvis Cocker
Elvis Costello
Chuck D
Nadia Dajani
Michael Diamond
Snoop Dogg
Will Ferrell
Crosby Fitzgerald
Randy Gardner
Kim Gordon
Josh Hamilton
Adam Horovitz
LL Cool J
Spike Jonze
Pat Kiernan
Talib Kweli
Dave Macklovitch
Rachel Maddow
Tim Meadows
Bette Midler
Mix Master Mike
Nas
Yoshimi O
Rosie Perez
Amy Poehler
Kelly Reichardt
John C. Reilly
Ian Rogers
Maya Rudolph
Rev Run
Luc Sante
Kate Schellenbach
MC Serch
Chloe Sevigny
Jon Stewart
Ben Stiller
Wanda Sykes
Jeff Tweedy
Philippe Zdar

I could have done without the Rosie Perez chapter...

https://www.audible.ca/pd/Beastie-Bo...QEFR45XA0DMY8&
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: