Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #381
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not surprisingly Hamilton was fantastic. Only thing I didn’t really like were all the cuts and camera angles. Would have preferred some longer shots to give you a real audience perspective. The spittle on King George though! Talk about speaking moistly.
It was certainly a great show and if it wasn't for Disney+ offering this I likely would have never had a chance to experience this. If more musicals were done in this format I would be a lot more interested in that art.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #382
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton was superb. I definitely get all the hype and accolades. It takes the standard musical format but twists and turns it into exciting new directions. This includes so many great songs which are still stuck in my head. I also really liked how all the different singing/rapping styles from the ensemble work together.

One of my favourite things was just how much of a detailed story was told when typically musicals are light on story and more about putting on a show. Covering a biography over a quarter century of American history while providing unique context and perspectives was an incredible achievement.

My only gripe was the production needed more and longer wide shots. You could tell from some wide shots just how epic the production was with all the moving parts and background performances and I wanted to see more especially during the action packed scenes.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #383
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started watching Rogue Trip today, hosted by Bob Woodruff & his son, Mack Woodruff. Very much enjoying it.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #384
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It was certainly a great show and if it wasn't for Disney+ offering this I likely would have never had a chance to experience this. If more musicals were done in this format I would be a lot more interested in that art.
I hope it still makes it to the Jube for Aug 2021. You were forced to buy a 3 pack of shows in order to get it. So cancel the other 2 musicals which were before Aug 2021 and keep Hamilton!
Old 08-14-2020, 03:19 AM   #385
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ant-Man and The Wasp has been added to Disney+, meaning that all of the MCU films that Disney has control over are now all on Disney+.

The only ones missing are the Norton Hulk film (which Universal own the rights to) and the Holland Spider-Man films (which are owned by Columbia/Sony).
Old 08-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #386
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Ant-Man and The Wasp has been added to Disney+, meaning that all of the MCU films that Disney has control over are now all on Disney+.

The only ones missing are the Norton Hulk film (which Universal own the rights to) and the Holland Spider-Man films (which are owned by Columbia/Sony).
What about the other spiderman films and blade?
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #387
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Netflix I think, they're not disney yet.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #388
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
What about the other spiderman films and blade?
No, those are not part of the MCU continuity.

The stand-alone films featuring the Hulk, Spider-Man, Blade, Daredevil, Punisher, and Ghost Rider (and their related characters like Elektra and Venom) are not distributed by Disney or Fox, so they aren't on Disney+ and likely never will be (at least until Disney wrestles control away from - or buys - their original distributors).

All of the Disney-controlled MCU films and the Fox-produced X-Men and Fantastic 4 films (except the R-rated Logan and Deadpool) are now on there.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:10 AM   #389
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mulan is now available with "Premiere Access" for $34.99 CAD (plus, you must have an active Disney+ account). This gives you 3 months of early access to the film before it becomes available to all Disney+ subscribers on December 4.

This is the first live-action adaptation that I'm actually interested in watching because it seems to be a significant departure from the animated version. It's almost 2 hours long and rated PG-13. It's currently at 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I didn't watch the original until earlier this year, so I think I can wait 3 months to watch it for "free".

Also, earlier this week, Disney announced that the second season of The Mandalorian will be released beginning October 30. Hopefully that means a new trailer should be coming soon.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #390
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wtf you need premiere to watch it that seems kinda crappy considering we are already paying for Disney plus
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #391
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Wtf you need premiere to watch it that seems kinda crappy considering we are already paying for Disney plus

Presumably because this is a big budget tentpole movie and they need something to replace the theatre run revenue they were expecting. I'm fine with a model where if I'm desperate to be the first to see it I can pay extra, or I can wait 3 months and have it included in my subscription. Personally I can't think of any movie I'd pay that much to watch on my TV, but I'm not going to be stressed by waiting a bit.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #392
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It will be included on Disney+ in a few months I believe. If you want to watch it early you have to pay the $35. not much different then taking your family of 4 to the theater imo
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #393
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disney+ has never guaranteed that you have access to releases Day 1.

If things were normal it would have been available in Theatres in the Summer, then likely been on BLU-Ray / VOD Rental release first, and then landed on Disney+ at the very end.

So really this is just replacing the Theatre/Blu-Ray release due to COVID. And really only if you want it 3 months early. You get it included as part of the base subscription in 3 months.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #394
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I love going to movies and have really missed not hitting theaters for the past six months. I'm going to renew my Disney subscription and pay the extra to watch Mulan. I have a family of four, so it's still cheaper than going to an actual movie. We'll pop some corn and make a night out of it. Movies are an absolute bargain, anyway. Think of the millions it cost to make this and my family get to watch it for $8.50 a head. That's like 1997 movie prices. A total steal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #395
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good points I shouldn't have reacted the way I did when hearing the news we will have to wait until it's free though as 30$ just isn't in the budget at the moment
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #396
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've already seen Mulan and know the story.

Sorry Disney, you're not getting my money on this, your latest, unabashed cash grab.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #397
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have D+, but the double-dip for Mulan bugs me. I understand it is skipping the theathers and you want to charge the $34.99 for the movie, similar to the Trolls World Tour did with their $19.95 rental, but don't make people also subscribe to D+. It seems silly as you are shrinking the pool of people who will give you $34.99 to watch the movie. Why not let anyone watch it digitally for that price?
pseudoreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #398
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I have D+, but the double-dip for Mulan bugs me. I understand it is skipping the theathers and you want to charge the $34.99 for the movie, similar to the Trolls World Tour did with their $19.95 rental, but don't make people also subscribe to D+. It seems silly as you are shrinking the pool of people who will give you $34.99 to watch the movie. Why not let anyone watch it digitally for that price?

Presumably an experiment to see if they can get a bunch more subscribers hooked.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #399
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The people complaining about this likely wouldn't have gone to see this movie in the theatre anyway.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #400
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think that having different subscription tiers might be a better approach for Disney. Have the base tier, the current subscription level, and a higher tier for an extra $5 or $6 or whatever per month which includes early access to various movies and shows.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote