Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 01:54 AM   #741
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Watch it! Can't believe I didn't take the day off tomorrow. the 1030pm show lets you out at 130am!

Spoiler!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #742
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone seen the new Lion King yet? The wife wants to go and were thinking of taking it in in Imax next week while on vacation.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #743
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone seen the new Lion King yet? The wife wants to go and were thinking of taking it in in Imax next week while on vacation.
I saw it with my wife, we both thought it was really good. The visuals were astonishing. There's something it does better than the original (Timon & Pumbaa, fleshing out Simba a bit more) and some things it does worse (Scar) but I think it's well worth going to see, especially if you're a fan of the original. The realistic visuals may take away from some of the creative energy of it, but it also makes it easier to take seriously and gives the whole thing a more epic, Shakespearean feel, particularly towards the end.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #744
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I saw once upon a time in Hollywood tonight. Long but great. First time I've been to the theatre in years. Hardest I've laughed in a long time.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #745
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Saw One Upon A Time In Hollywood. It's pretty diffrent from what Tarantino usually does. The narrative of the film can be confusing (I had to on google to understand aspects of the film's narrative, especially the ending). But I overall enjoyed the film.

Brad and Leo delivered excellent performances and had great chemistry together. Makes me shocked that they haven't done films together before this one. And Margot Robbie is stunning. Sharon's storyline didn't really make all that much sense to me until the ending of the film however. But google helped clear more stuff up for me so it helped it all make sense.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #746
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Saw One Upon A Time In Hollywood. It's pretty diffrent from what Tarantino usually does. The narrative of the film can be confusing (I had to on google to understand aspects of the film's narrative, especially the ending). But I overall enjoyed the film.

Brad and Leo delivered excellent performances and had great chemistry together. Makes me shocked that they haven't done films together before this one. And Margot Robbie is stunning. Sharon's storyline didn't really make all that much sense to me until the ending of the film however. But google helped clear more stuff up for me so it helped it all make sense.
I’m super confused about the second part of your post. Do you mean you were confused because you weren’t familiar with the historical context of the film? Spoiler the answer maybe.

I saw it too and it was excellent. Long, kinda weird, self indulgent but quite entertaining.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #747
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’m super confused about the second part of your post. Do you mean you were confused because you weren’t familiar with the historical context of the film? Spoiler the answer maybe.

I saw it too and it was excellent. Long, kinda weird, self indulgent but quite entertaining.
The bolded describes every single Tarantino movie made. I'm not complaining though.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #748
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There's definitely some pre-req knowledge needed to get this movie, that younger people might not have. I don't think this is saying too much:
Spoiler!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #749
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah I went into the film mostly blind and didn't understand the historical contex.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #750
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah that makes sense. I’m familiar with the Tate murders but still feel like a lot of the references were lost on me.

Interesting side note, someone told me that the movie’s use of the term hippie is anachronistic because it wasn’t widely used in 1969 and didn’t become common until many years later.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #751
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Once upon a time in Hollywood is the best work Tarantino has done in a while. Probably cause you can tell there was a lot of passion behind this one, and while it has your expected turn in the third act, it doesn't completely unravel everything the first two acts built up narratively and thematically, like the hateful eight did. It just adds more comedic value to an already fun and well acted story.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #752
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense. I’m familiar with the Tate murders but still feel like a lot of the references were lost on me.

Interesting side note, someone told me that the movie’s use of the term hippie is anachronistic because it wasn’t widely used in 1969 and didn’t become common until many years later.
Not true at all. I clearly remember the term being used in the 60s in person and media. Also this from Wikipedia..

Although the word hippies made other isolated appearances in print during the early 1960s, the first use of the term on the West Coast appeared in the article "A New Paradise for Beatniks" (in the San Francisco Examiner, issue of September 5, 1965) by San Francisco journalist Michael Fallon.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #753
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Reading or watching the movie version of Helter Skelter might be helpful.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #754
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Saw Alita: Battle Angel recently, and it was a lot better than I was expecting. Alita herself was great, the fight scenes were awesome, and I really got into the whole universe they setup (ya I know it's from a manga). Only two negatives I have is the generic boyfriend is terrible, and it really sucks ending the movie basically saying "To Be Continued" with no actual sequel greenlit. Hopefully they do get it made, because I want to see more of that world
I watched this with my boy last night and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was. As you say the fight scenes were totally amazing and I'm kind of surprised this movie wasn't a bigger deal really.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #755
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood yesterday, absolutely loved it. Pitt and DiCaprio are perfect, and I found it to be Tarantino’s funniest script to date.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #756
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gloria Bell

I never saw the original Chilean film (titled Gloria apparently) so this movie was a real delight for me. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie ends up being one of my favourites of the year. Watching Moore and Turturro was so much fun. I think Moore was in every scene and she was so fearless so I think her Oscar nom is a lock. Turturro's performance wasn't as showy but his character amused me so much because I know guys like this -- all grand gestures on the outside but so small and insecure on the inside. I hope Turturro gets a supporting role nom. Kudos also to the adaptation as movies remade in a different language can often flop. I will have to check out the original.

If Beale Street Could Talk

I had the same mixed reaction to this as to Jenkin's previous film, Moonlight. The highlight of the film for me was the central love story but wished some of the antagonists (the racist cop, Fonny's mother and sisters) weren't so over-the-top and one-dimensional in their villainy. This was my issue with Moonlight as well -- that the convenient and overdetermined plot obstacles are so jarring with the more lyrical parts of the film.

Spider-Man: Far From Home

My wife and I never got around seeing Avengers: Endgame so the new Spider-Man movie starts out with a bunch of surprising spoilers for us. I guess I can check the Avengers movie off the list of movies I have to watch -- I will replace it with that Chilean Gloria movie. Anyway, my wife and I agreed this was probably the most fun we've had at a superhero movie. I think it was because of Mysterio -- such a great character and it was fun watching Gyllenhaal ham it up. Still, I had a bunch of questions I do not know the answers to. Why is it sometimes Spider-Man's mask comes off with a switch of a button like it is projected on his face digitally and sometimes Peter has to physically remove his mask like it is a hood around his head? Why has all the characters changed in this reboot but J. Jonah Jameson is still portrayed by J.K. Simmons? Why do they keep making Aunt May hotter?

Toy Story 4

Saw this with the entire family. The verdict was that my wife and I loved it while my kids were more immune to its charms. One thing I learned from the past couple of years of watching movies with my family is that the theme of nostalgia does not play to young children. I personally thought it was an exellent way to end the franchise and there were several scenes that made be double over in laughter. Not as good as the first two installments but better than the last one. I liked that Gabby Gabby wasn't as villainous and menacing as Lotso in Toy Story 3. I think Lotso is the reason why Toy Story 3 is a much more intense experience than it really needs to be for young children. Also, why do they keep making Bo Peep hotter?

Transit

Similar themes to Petzold's last film, Phoenix, about personal identity and moral courage (and failings) in the face of fascism. Transit doesn't have the killer final scene like in Phoenix although Petzold does take a shot at it. I just didn't swoon as much as I think Petzold wanted me to. Also found all the anachronisms much too distracting. I spent a good chunk of the movie trying to figure out the era the story is set in before realizing the anachronisms were a stylistic choice, to what end I have no idea. Another disappointment: Near the end of the first act, I thought the movie might become a Nazi-era version of Morvern Callar but Petzold didn't end up doing much with that subplot.

I'm taking my wife to see the new Tarantino tonight. Can't wait!
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #757
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Why is it sometimes Spider-Man's mask comes off with a switch of a button like it is projected on his face digitally and sometimes Peter has to physically remove his mask like it is a hood around his head?
The suits that come off with the press of a button are the Stark Nano-Tech suits -- he would've been wearing one at the very start and in the climax. The other two suits (the Homecoming one he brings in his suitcase and the Night Monkey suit) are just regular old fabric suits, hence why he has to actually physically remove the mask.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #758
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Not true at all. I clearly remember the term being used in the 60s in person and media. Also this from Wikipedia..

Although the word hippies made other isolated appearances in print during the early 1960s, the first use of the term on the West Coast appeared in the article "A New Paradise for Beatniks" (in the San Francisco Examiner, issue of September 5, 1965) by San Francisco journalist Michael Fallon.
Yeah, I think the term was pretty widely used by Woodstock...
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #759
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Yeah, I think the term was pretty widely used by Woodstock...

My parents as well...no your not going to grow your hair long and look like a GD Hippy! LOLOL
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #760
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I watched this with my boy last night and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was. As you say the fight scenes were totally amazing and I'm kind of surprised this movie wasn't a bigger deal really.
back when Alita and Captain Marvel were both released, it seemed like Alita became a bit of a protest ticket against Brie Larson's interview comments. I'm not even going to start down that rabbit hole, but I definitely did find myself liking and cheering for Alita's character a lot more than CM's.

here's a decent breakdown of why Alita is purpose-built to win the audience over and make up for most of the plot/supporting character sketchiness:

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote