Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #161
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
As a Top Gear fan I'm trying to watch James May in Japan but it's a little slow at times (pardon the pun...)
I enjoyed it. It's not something that's great for binge watching, but overall it was pretty good to watch casually.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #162
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
Started watching Mr. Robot.
Really enjoying it. First episode hooked me and now I'm 3 episodes in. There's been some meh moments with the dialogue (specifically with the hacker gang) but pretty minor quibble. It has been excellent.
I just have a hard time envisioning Freddie Mercury being that technically proficient.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #163
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never had a problem with the interface using a fire stick, but the fire cube is just next level. You just tell it what show to play and it'll pick up where you left off, or just say what episode you want. If it's not on Prime it'll check Netflix. Same for music. I got one for my Dad and it's so much easier for him than his apple tv was.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #164
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Started to watch Treadway, but unwatchable as subtitles not working for me (seens in Korean, German, etc). Anyone else have issues? A quick search seems like it's a common thing with Prime. Was watching from Mac laptop through Chromecast. Never had a problem previously. Tried different shows and neither working with subtitles.
I downloaded Jack Ryan to my Amazon tablet for a trip and half the episodes had subtitles and half didn't.

It did help me work on my Arabic, but I mostly found myself skipping to a part of the video that had English or French, that I could understand. Oddly enough, the French dialogue had subtitles
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #165
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I downloaded Jack Ryan to my Amazon tablet for a trip and half the episodes had subtitles and half didn't.

It did help me work on my Arabic, but I mostly found myself skipping to a part of the video that had English or French, that I could understand. Oddly enough, the French dialogue had subtitles
The Prime subtitles seem completely random. At times when watching Jack Ryan, we'd get English in English subtitles, but no subs at all for Arabic. Some other times, German was the default subtitle language. We usually managed to fix it by pausing and mucking around in the subtitle list, but it was annoying.

Also, interesting to hear about the Firecube. We just use the Prime app through our Blue Curve, but the interface is painful.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #166
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting tired of decent series with brutal final seasons.

Game of Thrones
Man in the High Castle

MHC showed promise but went downhill in seasons 3 and 4. Would not recommend.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #167
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think the industry is just so volatile and fickle, so you get what you get. Nobody know what's getting picked up season to season, so producers juggle the fine line of having somewhere to go if they get picked up, but also being ready to wrap up quickly in case they don't.

And for the most part they find out after a season ends that they're picked up again or cancelled. It's a tough game. They want to go out on their terms with a proper ending but don't know when that'll be.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #168
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just recently discovered and binged Patriot. Dark, poignant, heartbreaking, entertaining but also hilarious. Probably the best show I've watched on Prime. Also good is The Boys, Hanna and Fleabag.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #169
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Also good is The Boys, Hanna and Fleabag.
Can't speak to the other two... but The Boys is excellent. I'm currently watching the latest season of The Expanse (really really really good Sci-Fi) and The Magicians which I started watching on Showcase when it first came out but the airtime wasn't at a convenient time for me so I stopped watching (love the books it's based on).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #170
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am watching The Man in the High Castle, and it's pretty good so far.

Didn't get into Fleabag, the Boys, or anything else recently. I liked the first season of Jack Ryan, but I guess not enough to try the second season yet?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #171
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started on Mr. Robot. Damn this show is bleak. Despite some wooden/corny performances from some of the supporting cast I'm really enjoying it.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #172
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I am watching The Man in the High Castle, and it's pretty good so far.

Didn't get into Fleabag, the Boys, or anything else recently. I liked the first season of Jack Ryan, but I guess not enough to try the second season yet?

Not the greatest acting ever, but High Castle is a rare series with a strong ending narratively.

The key premise of most shows ends after season 2, and spend another 2 or 3 years searching for something to say, settling on a non-ending ending. This show maintained its direction from beginning to end.
#-3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #173
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Not the greatest acting ever, but High Castle is a rare series with a strong ending narratively.

The key premise of most shows ends after season 2, and spend another 2 or 3 years searching for something to say, settling on a non-ending ending. This show maintained its direction from beginning to end.
Eh, I lost interest 2-3 episodes into season 3. I think they could have went in a way better direction.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #174
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is with Prime suddenly removing shows with absolutely no warning and no follow up to explain? 2 of the last 3 series I've watched on Prime were suddenly removed without warning while I'm in the middle of a season. WTF.

Great way to make the platform seem like crap and get people who wanted to legally watch shows to go back to the tried and tested way of illegal streams.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #175
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
What is with Prime suddenly removing shows with absolutely no warning and no follow up to explain? 2 of the last 3 series I've watched on Prime were suddenly removed without warning while I'm in the middle of a season. WTF.

Great way to make the platform seem like crap and get people who wanted to legally watch shows to go back to the tried and tested way of illegal streams.
Yikes, which ones?

I'm slowly making my way through The Americans and just now reached the final season. I'd be royally pissed off if it got yanked.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #176
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yikes, which ones?

I'm slowly making my way through The Americans and just now reached the final season. I'd be royally pissed off if it got yanked.
First it was Def Comedy Jam, and yesterday 30 Rock .
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #177
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First it was Def Comedy Jam, and yesterday 30 Rock .
30 Rock is on Crave, just as an FYI.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #178
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the layout Prime uses. Netflix is far more user friendly.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #179
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I hate the layout Prime uses. Netflix is far more user friendly.
Yes, Prime has a terrible service. Obviously just a value-add kind of thing.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #180
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, we're in the middle of watching Vikings and all of a sudden we need some garbage called 'StackTV?'

Since when? Never heard of it, and no. Yes, its also on Crave, but WTF is with that? I'm not going to just go and now get another streaming service I'm just going to hate you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote