Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #781
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I watched The Right Stuff (1983) for the first time today. While the start had a bit of 80s cheese to it the rest was strong. Really felt the weight of what they were trying to accomplish.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #782
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching Hobbs & Shaw. I really liked it. It's got the feel of Fast & Furious, mixed in with a bit of buddy cop movie. It had plenty of action, but it all felt believable (which, as much as I love the F&F movies, they are getting further and further from). Johnson and Statham have a great chemistry and timing. Elba is simply fantastic. I was also really impressed with Kirby. Well done.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 AM   #783
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and loved it.

Had 3 separate groups of walkouts about halfway through, so it's clearly not for everyone. As a big Tarantino fan it was pretty much exactly what I expected, so I was really pleased.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #784
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Just finished watching Hobbs & Shaw. I really liked it. It's got the feel of Fast & Furious, mixed in with a bit of buddy cop movie. It had plenty of action, but it all felt believable (which, as much as I love the F&F movies, they are getting further and further from). Johnson and Statham have a great chemistry and timing. Elba is simply fantastic. I was also really impressed with Kirby. Well done.
Ha...hahahahahahaha!!!

You can't be serious. Those movies are a lot of things. Believable is not one of them.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:08 AM   #785
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Ha...hahahahahahaha!!!

You can't be serious. Those movies are a lot of things. Believable is not one of them.
Well WhiteTiger specifically stated this is how the movie is different than the others in the franchise. So maybe?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #786
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also saw Hobbs & Shaw and it was enjoyable, but very far from believable. I mean, there's a part where The Rock freefalls on to three different guys rappelling down a building, finally falling several stories and smashing through a glass roof on to a car but is completely uninjured. Later in the same scene they drive a Mclaren underneath two 53' trailers passing each other, while Idris Elba does the same, power sliding on the ground on his motorbike that transforms like a Michael Bay Transformer. In the climax, The Rock holds a military helicopter back with a chain, like Captain America.

It's fine if you accept that these characters are literally superheroes now, but definitely not anywhere close to believable.

Vanessa Kirby is great though. Those eyes, man.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #787
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I also saw Hobbs & Shaw and it was enjoyable, but very far from believable. I mean, there's a part where The Rock freefalls on to three different guys rappelling down a building, finally falling several stories and smashing through a glass roof on to a car but is completely uninjured. Later in the same scene they drive a Mclaren underneath two 53' trailers passing each other, while Idris Elba does the same, power sliding on the ground on his motorbike that transforms like a Michael Bay Transformer. In the climax, The Rock holds a military helicopter back with a chain, like Captain America.

It's fine if you accept that these characters are literally superheroes now, but definitely not anywhere close to believable.

Vanessa Kirby is great though. Those eyes, man.
Yeah, I worded it poorly. I meant more that it walked the line between the 'bombastic action' and 'actually believable' a lot better than the recent F&F's, but it's still an action movie, with all that entails.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #788
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Once upon a time with my wife today. I liked it, didnt love it, but enjoyed the trip back to the 60s and the ending was enjoyable. Not your typical QT movie.

My wife hated it, almost fell asleep and would have left if I didnt like it.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #789
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, Hobbs and Shaw was ####ing ridiculous. Which is surprising to no one. I've approached those movies as comedies since Fast Five. Felt like it was the Marvel version of Fast and the Furious with the super human angle. I mean the Rock basically pulled a captain America in a certain vehicle scene. If you want to call what went down believable then I'd love to come live on the earth that you're residing.

The most redeeming parts are the interactions between the leads, and the two nice supporting cast surprises.

The most enjoyable movie I've seen this summer is Yesterday. That movie was just a frickin joy start to finish, and much funnier than expected. Minor gripes of course, but favorite music group themed film of the last calendar year, and there have been some decent ones. I'm glad it's been in theatres as long as it has, and the showing I went to just recently was a full theater including the very front section so that was great to see.

I'd say it's better value for your buck than H&S was.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-06-2019 at 02:27 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #790
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah, Hobbs and Shaw was ####ing ridiculous. Which is surprising to no one. I've approached those movies as comedies since Fast Five. Felt like it was the Marvel version of Fast and the Furious with the super human angle. I mean the Rock basically pulled a captain America in a certain vehicle scene. If you want to call what went down believable then I'd love to come live on the earth that you're residing.

The most redeeming parts are the interactions between the leads, and the two nice supporting cast surprises.

The most enjoyable movie I've seen this summer is Yesterday. That movie was just a frickin joy start to finish, and much funnier than expected. Minor gripes of course, but favorite music group themed film of the last calendar year, and there have been some decent ones. I'm glad it's been in theatres as long as it has, and the showing I went to just recently was a full theater including the very front section so that was great to see.

I'd say it's better value for your buck than H&S was.
We went and saw that last week, and while I enjoy The Beatles I'm far from a rabid fan, but that movie was a treat. Love the Beatles or not, the music is good, the story is good and, you nailed it, much funnier than expected.

Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #791
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Spoiler!
I'm glad someone else can vouch for how much of a delight it was.

Spoiler!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #792
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm glad someone else can vouch for how much of a delight it was.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #793
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait...All of that stuff didn't exist, but Google did?

Brutal, I would have gone the Hot Tub Time Machine route and made Lougle.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #794
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really, really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Spoiler!
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #795
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I watched The Right Stuff (1983) for the first time today. While the start had a bit of 80s cheese to it the rest was strong. Really felt the weight of what they were trying to accomplish.
The book is even better.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #796
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I really, really liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Spoiler!
Your friend is wrong. It was a flashback.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #797
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah to me at least it felt like an obvious flashback.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #798
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps it's time for you guys to make a separate thread for the movie with a spoiler tag in the title. Then you can speak freely without giving hints to the rest of us about flashbacks and anything else that might say too much without realizing it.

I haven't been able to get away from the kids for the last few weeks and I'm dying to see this movie. However, it's getting harder to avoid people talking about it. Not your problem, I know, but it would be doing me (and possibly others) a courtesy to make a separate thread to discuss plot points.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM   #799
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have watched a few movies recently...

lion king - took the kids, plenty of nostalgia for me, and it did look quite visually impacting not being a cartoon.

The great hack - saw this on Netflix this week. Had no idea what it was, a complete random selection. highly recommend everyone watch this. Although it did make me want to throw my smartphone down the toilet and get an old Motorola razr.

Whitney Cummings comedy special (whatever it's called) - terrible. ugh, what a waste of time
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #800
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Perhaps it's time for you guys to make a separate thread for the movie with a spoiler tag in the title. Then you can speak freely without giving hints to the rest of us about flashbacks and anything else that might say too much without realizing it.

I haven't been able to get away from the kids for the last few weeks and I'm dying to see this movie. However, it's getting harder to avoid people talking about it. Not your problem, I know, but it would be doing me (and possibly others) a courtesy to make a separate thread to discuss plot points.
I don't think discussing a scene was a flashback or not without descriptive details of the actual scene is really giving anything away. There is nothing being revealed in this thread that isn't hid behind spoiler tags.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote