Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #1001
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
That brings the question of whether both houses would run out the clock. How long is Mitch still in charge? I'm not sure which direction he'd take at this point though.
I mean if their choices are to be put to an impeachment vote or kick the can on the 25th, I cannot imagine a scenario they don't take the easy way out. The timing of this makes running out the clock very palatable, if not outright the preferred option.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #1002
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How would you expect the capitol police to know she wasn't armed? Who's to say what would happen once she breached that barrier? She was a threat, approaching them. She had already broken countless laws. Her goal was nothing short of overthrowing the government. Actions have consequences. I just can't imagine a situation more justified in the use of lethal force than a hostile mob overthrowing a legitimate government.
I'm not sure.

It's not black and white to me. I don't think lethal force should be used, but I wasn't in the room and I also don't know everyones rights in this situation.

I just default to, do not kill if you aren't immediately about to be killed or witness a murder.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #1003
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without having to go on Parler and stuff, does anyone know where to see some good schadenfreude for these people who walked out chanting "they did it"? I'd love to see their reactions when 6 hours later Biden was certified and they didn't actually accomplish what they thought.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #1004
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I'm not sure.

It's not black and white to me. I don't think lethal force should be used, but I wasn't in the room and I also don't know everyones rights in this situation.

I just default to, do not kill if you aren't immediately about to be killed or witness a murder.
What about soldiers at war?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #1005
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Frankly, it's amazing and impressive more people weren't shot.
If those were black and brown people doing that, it would take weeks to clean up the blood. The cops would have run out of ammo. Capitol Police are notorious hard asses, so the fact there was a single shooting is not only miraculous, it is straight up inconsistent with the behavior and training of this agency.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #1006
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What about soldiers at war?
That's a tough question.

I don't approve of war. But it's not a simple conversation. Lot's of factors! Probably something to be discussed at length in another thread!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #1007
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about a terrorist with a backpack trying to get to the vice president? Oh wait, that's fine apparently.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM   #1008
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump's 'Great Patriots' EXPOSED: How rag-tag bunch of Capitol looters is made up of white supremacists who celebrate Auschwitz and attend far-right rallies across America - and a Nazi-tattooed 'Shaman'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Capitol.html
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #1009
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
She was unarmed. She was climbing through a window. She was not an immediate threat. Every other police shooting gets scrutinized here. Why not this one?
You do know that storming into the Capitol Building is a little different than a B&E into a 7/11 right?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #1010
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Trump's 'Great Patriots' EXPOSED: How rag-tag bunch of Capitol looters is made up of white supremacists who celebrate Auschwitz and attend far-right rallies across America - and a Nazi-tattooed 'Shaman'
Very fine, special people. We love you.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #1011
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure.

if you have barricaded a door and drawn guns and warned the baying mob outside the barricaded door that have smashed the windows and are trying to break down the door and attack you that you will shoot if they try and get through the door you clearly believe your life to be threatened, at that point the door is the last non lethal line of defense, you have no where else to run, you are trapped in that area, as soon as any of the mob try to enter you have to shoot, to not shoot is to sacrifice the people you are trying to protect and your self.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #1012
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
She was unarmed. She was climbing through a window. She was not an immediate threat. Every other police shooting gets scrutinized here. Why not this one?
They have a duty to protect the elected officials on the other side of that door, which they did once the door was breached, arguably the last line of defence at that point.

Its too bad the police didn’t do a better job of protecting the perimeter because if she didn’t get as far as she did, she’d likely still be alive today.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #1013
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Special is right
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #1014
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If those were black and brown people doing that, it would take weeks to clean up the blood. The cops would have run out of ammo. Capitol Police are notorious hard asses, so the fact there was a single shooting is not only miraculous, it is straight up inconsistent with the behavior and training of this agency.
If you take the number of dead in BLM protests and compare it to the number dead here and compare that to the total number of protest days how do the stats work out?

The failure here was allowing the breach not avoiding shooting everyone who breached. In general we probably don’t want Police shooting protesters even in the Capitol building. Showing restraint should be considered positive.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #1015
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
special is white
fyp
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #1016
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure.

It’s easy to say on the couch, how do you know if you are about to be killed? Everyone has a right to self defence, and sometimes people get killed. If your moving forward in an aggressive fashion, you may die. It happens.

When dealing with cops and soldiers it’s best to stick to words only. Sometimes even that is not enough. You can’t control how others behave, only how you behave.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 01-07-2021 at 12:43 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #1017
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrorism is defined by the US Code as being premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents

premeditated - check.
politically motivated violence - check.
against noncombatant targets - check.
subnational group - check.

She met every criteria possible to be a terrorist, I can only assume anyone arguing differently believes that there is a requirement to be non-white. The video shows she had a backpack, the video shows her trying to get to her targets, her tweets (after the fact) shows her intentions. This was a terrorist killed, unless you also believe someone draped in an ISIS flag running at the president with a backpack should be allowed to do so, then you shouldn't have a problem with her shooting. As unfortunate as it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #1018
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You're right. If this was a BLM event, or heck, any leftist group, more people would have been killed.

Just some random thoughts...

I think it is kind of sad that the person who was killed, probably wasn't even close to being the most threatening person there. She made an extremely poor decision combined with an inappropriate sense of entitlement, and paid the price for it. I am going on gut assumptions and could be wrong, but based on her profile, she seemed like someone who fell for the con but wasn't necessarily dangerous on her own.

If Auschwitz Man or some other obvious nazi was the one shot doing the exact same thing as her, I don't think anyone would be having this conversation.

The other thing that gets me about this is that on one side of the doors, there were cops with their guns drawn ready to shoot, and on the other side were rioters with cops all around them. I am inclined to think that the cops on each side had a different perspective on the threat. The storming of the Capitol wasn't a collaborative effort IMO, but had different factions with different intentions. The cops with their guns drawn had no way of knowing if the woman coming through was a neo-nazi, or just some goofy brainwashed Captain America wannabe.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-07-2021 at 12:44 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #1019
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If you take the number of dead in BLM protests and compare it to the number dead here and compare that to the total number of protest days how do the stats work out?
Oh goodie, we get to play number games. If you take the number of arrested in BLM protests and compare it to the number arrested here and compare that to the total number of protest days how do the stats work out? Or, if you take the number of protested snatched off the street by unmarked LEOs in BLM protests and compare it to the number snatched here and compare that to the total number of protest days how do the stats work out?

Quote:
The failure here was allowing the breach not avoiding shooting everyone who breached. In general we probably don’t want Police shooting protesters even in the Capitol building. Showing restraint should be considered positive.
And why do you think the breach was allowed? If these were black or brown protesters do you think the breach would have happened? Or do you think the Capitol Police would have used lethal force to maintain the skirmish line? I'll give you a clue, since you don't appear to have one, they would have used excessive force because that is their MO and their reputation. That is part of what is so incredulous about this situation. The Capitol Police are hard asses and routinely use excessive force to achieve compliance. Christ, even the members of Congress joke about this stuff. So why, during a moment like this where the Capitol is being over-run do the Capitol cops not do what they always do?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #1020
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm on the fence about this, normally I am pretty against doxing people. I feel like it's the type of thing that should be left to the courts.

Yet, I don't really feel bad for any of these people. It was a cry of attention and they got what they wanted.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote