Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2021, 04:42 PM   #881
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
$90k for a truck IMO is ridiculous.

I had attempted to factory order a 2022 Tucson PHEV this week but after being told it was good, was told this AM that the factory stopped taking orders for 2022s and would have to order a 2023, which has no specs out yet!

This market is crazy right now.
It's a truck with super car acceleration. A total 2 for 1. I'm in if my company can lease one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #882
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’ve watched two minutes and I’m sold. I can’t wait to be able to buy a 5 year old one of these.

I could barely last 2 minutes….possibly the most annoying car video ever. Cool truck though.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #883
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
So I’m contemplating upgrading from my 2018 Fusion Energi to a 2022 Tucson PHEV, I had been hoping the someone would have released a midsized ev or phev truck by now but I guess I’ll wait a few more years to get a truck again.

Anyone driven the new Tucson of Santa Fe phev?
I bought a 2022 Santa Fe PHEV, what would you like to know?

I just did a road trip to BC and back and put 2000km on it, I'm pretty happy with it so far!

I averaged 8.6L/100km on the trip which was a nice change from my 15L/100km Ram 2500 lol.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #884
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I bought a 2022 Santa Fe PHEV, what would you like to know?

I just did a road trip to BC and back and put 2000km on it, I'm pretty happy with it so far!

I averaged 8.6L/100km on the trip which was a nice change from my 15L/100km Ram 2500 lol.

My biggest questions are around the daily drive aspect, as my Fusion has been awesome, but is at the edge of the range I need.

- What kinda of full electric range are you getting?
- How much of a drop in range are you seeing in the cold?
- I've heard turning the heater on kicks the engine on regardless, is that accurate?

Thanks in advance.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #885
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

May I ask what kind of mileage you get in the city? Highway is marginally better than my 2010 RX350. I get just over 9/100km when I drive to BC. It's like 12 in the city.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:44 PM   #886
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely good questions!

I want to preface all this with the fact that I'm not commuting to work right now so I don't have as much insight as you guys are probably looking for, if I was driving 30 minutes to work every day I would have a more solid history with it.

So the "full electric" mode is definitely overstated for the car. In my experience driving around town the engine usually runs for a little bit because I believe the coolant has to be at a certain temperature for the engine to be able to kick on and off.

For a typical trip to the grocery store or wherever the EV mode is intermittent for the first 5 minutes or so while everything warms up and then once it's warm it will stay in EV mode. Now that it's cold the engine will warm up to get the heat pumping, go into EV and then run intermittently to keep the heat up. There's also 3 settings for the auto climate control to limit how much the engine runs. It does give you a read out for every trip you take, if I go to the store with a 10 minute trip each way, I can get about 1-3L/100km.

Heading out on the highway it can run at 110km/h in EV (120 it's intermittent) and I would say I got a solid 40km of EV mode.

Since it's so intermittent it's difficult to say exactly how much range I get and aside from the one trip I've never driven enough around town to drain it.

TBH I was a little disappointed that I can't just force it to run EV only.

Even though I'm a little let down by the EV portion the rest of the vehicle is top notch, it handles fantastic, has plenty of power and lots of room. I spent time in the back seat on our trip and was surprised that I had 6" behind the driver seat to my knees.

Hopefully that helps!

The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #887
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
May I ask what kind of mileage you get in the city? Highway is marginally better than my 2010 RX350. I get just over 9/100km when I drive to BC. It's like 12 in the city.
I'm usually around 5-7 in the city, I'm sure I could get it lower if I was focusing on getting the best mileage as I've done quite a few smaller trips that came in at 1.3L/100km.

I was impressed with the 8.6L/100km on my trip as I was not taking it easy at all and was really enjoying driving and passing and whatnot. The electric range ran out by the time I was in Leduc (from Sherwood Park) so it was basically just driving a hybrid on a road trip
Old 12-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #888
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was watching some of the review videos on the new Genesis EV, GV60, and it seems like a really cool car. I like what I see from that Hyundai/Kia E-GMP platform. The one thing that I question with the GV60 are the sideview monitors. I don't like them positioned at the front of the doors and it seems like it would be better if the sideview images were integrated in to instrument panel.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:02 PM   #889
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thoughts on the new Toyota bz4x all electric SUV (out next year)?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #890
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The name could use some work...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #891
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably the silliest alphanumeric name since the Merkur XR4Ti.

(And even the XR4Ti had at least a modicum of sense behind it: it was a Ford Sierra XR4 with a Turbocharger and fuel injection.)

Last edited by timun; 12-14-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: explanation
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:15 AM   #892
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Here is a study from Norway on cold weather testing.

It basically finds range gets reduced by 18.5% on average and the vehicles charge more slowly.

https://www.naf.no/elbil/aktuelt/elb...90201-04b09b31
My range dropped from about ~430km to ~310ish today in -19 when I started it up, based on yesterday's driving I think

Still more than enough to drive around Calgary a bunch but I probably would have to find a DC fast charger in Red Deer if I needed to make a comfortable trip to Edmonton.

I think gas is still the way to go for road trips for a long time. Maybe we'll see a modernized return of the Chevy Starcraft Van style as EV owners get dedicated Vanlife vehicles for travel. Drive, charge while you sleep, drive some more. No way people are gonna wanna stop in motels to wait for a 7kW charge.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 12-15-2021 at 11:20 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #893
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

I think gas is still the way to go for road trips for a long time. Maybe we'll see a modernized return of the Chevy Starcraft Van style as EV owners get dedicated Vanlife vehicles for travel. Drive, charge while you sleep, drive some more. No way people are gonna wanna stop in motels to wait for a 7kW charge.
I like EVs and what they offer and I am optimistic that they will continue to evolve and improve but I really think that Plug-in Hybrids are the sweet spot right now and for the immediate future. Most folks don't need 300km to 400km EV range on a daily basis but many folks also want to drive without range anxiety.

100km to 150km of EV range is more than adequate for daily urban use for most people and the biggest benefit that EVs provide in terms of emissions reduction is on short urban trips and heavy traffic situations. For highway driving a small 3 or 4 cylinder high efficiency ICE is the way to go with some battery boost when needed for hills or passing.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #894
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I like EVs and what they offer and I am optimistic that they will continue to evolve and improve but I really think that Plug-in Hybrids are the sweet spot right now and for the immediate future. Most folks don't need 300km to 400km EV range on a daily basis but many folks also want to drive without range anxiety.

100km to 150km of EV range is more than adequate for daily urban use for most people and the biggest benefit that EVs provide in terms of emissions reduction is on short urban trips and heavy traffic situations. For highway driving a small 3 or 4 cylinder high efficiency ICE is the way to go with some battery boost when needed for hills or passing.
Except then you have all the maintenance of a regular car with batteries on top. Half the reason I want an EV is to not deal with things like oil changes, transmission fluid, belts, etc. IMO the primary adopters of EV's are going to be dual vehicle homes, where the EV can be used for city driving only, at least until battery technology gets better
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #895
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it a little dismaying that the PHEVs seem to switch between in ICE and EV modes when driving. The big goal would be to eliminate the gas use during a normal daily commute along Deerfoot or Stoney Trail that could ordinarily be replenished by an overnight charge.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #896
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I find it a little dismaying that the PHEVs seem to switch between in ICE and EV modes when driving. The big goal would be to eliminate the gas use during a normal daily commute along Deerfoot or Stoney Trail that could ordinarily be replenished by an overnight charge.
There are some vehicles where the driver can select/force the vehicle to be in EV mode when it has adequate battery supply. A vehicle with that ability is definitely my preference so that I can control if it is EV or ICE or auto hybrid.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #897
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The problem is you then start duplicating all the ancillary stuff as well, like heat and AC. So the tradeoff is running the ICE. if it's mostly sitting at idle rpm's, it probably isn't burning much gas anyway. Nothing is going to be perfect for the next 10 years, there will be tradeoffs.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #898
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The problem is you then start duplicating all the ancillary stuff as well, like heat and AC. So the tradeoff is running the ICE. if it's mostly sitting at idle rpm's, it probably isn't burning much gas anyway. Nothing is going to be perfect for the next 10 years, there will be tradeoffs.

Yeah, I guess that’s maybe the problem with how they’re spec’d on manufacturers sites. If some car comes advertised as having a EV range of 35-40km you’d expect to be able to do all that in EV mode alone before resorting to ICE.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #899
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

it is surprising how many charging stations are available between calgary and edmonton on this map

https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #900
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Probably the silliest alphanumeric name since the Merkur XR4Ti.

(And even the XR4Ti had at least a modicum of sense behind it: it was a Ford Sierra XR4 with a Turbocharger and fuel injection.)

And you can bet it won't be nearly as cool:

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: